Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i need a server pc for my wireless router?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

i recently bought a philips wireless router but it doesnt have an internal dsl modem in it. can i connect the router to the modem without having to have a server pc connected to it? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Hey, you just patch the wifi router trough to the modem with a cat5 cable try use an uplink port if you have one will be marked on the port itself if u have one, might need to use a crossover cable if a normal cable doesnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Yes you can: (dsl modem)--->(wireless router)--->(wired pc/laptop)
    |
    -)))(wireless pc/lattop)

Make sure that DHCP is not turned on on both modem and router!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

my router needs to be connected to the internet in order for me to install it. so if i bridge my modem, connect it to the router, connect the router to my pc via cable & gain access to the net. i can then install the router then i'd say. but when its installed can i disconnet my pc from the router & connect to the net wirelessly using my wireless usb adapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

but when its installed can i disconnet my pc from the router & connect to the net wirelessly using my wireless usb adapter?
    Yes u can. The wirless connection replaces the wired connection provided you have set it up properly (imagine it as an invisable wire :) )

thanks a mill for your help...nice one

• Advertisement

i put my modem on bridge mode, its a bt voyoger 210. i've got a philips snb5600 router but i cannot seem to get it to connect to the internet?? any help greatly appreciated

Advertisement