Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paypal fraudulent email

Options
  • 20-04-2007 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I received a spoof email purporting to be from paypal which said that I had added an email address as a new e-mail address for my PayPal account.
    It said if I did not authorize this change or if I needed assistance with my account, to click on a link to contact PayPal customer service.
    When I did,a site opened which looked like the real Paypal site. It said that my account had been locked and I was asked to input my credit card details (including my PIN number) to unlock it.
    I didn't and I reported it to paypal and I also did a whois to find out who the URL is registered to. I gave this information to paypal but I am wondering if they can proscute this person/people?
    His/her name and address was in the link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I have to say that I get these every second week.
    Just bin them and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

It's the first one I got. It's easy to find out who the site is registered to so I dunno why they aren't prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd imagine they use stolen identities and credit cards to set up the fake websites in the first place, therefore there is nobody to prosecute. It's not likely they used their real name when trying to defraud thousands of people.

jor el wrote:
    I'd imagine they use stolen identities and credit cards to set up the fake websites in the first place, therefore there is nobody to prosecute. It's not likely they used their real name when trying to defraud thousands of people.

Well the site is registered to an address on the whois site I searched for it on.
    Whoever wanted to find out who's really behind the scam could start by asking that person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

My point was that the registered person most likely has no idea their name is being used and won't know who is responsible. That's the whole point of identity theft, you get to blame someone who has no connection with you or the scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i have had a bunch of them. I was forwarding them onto Paypal, but don't bother anymore.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

MrPudding wrote:
    i have had a bunch of them. I was forwarding them onto Paypal, but don't bother anymore.

MrP

Same here. I've got quite a few and used to report to ebay and paypal, but they never even acknowledged receipt of the details, so I stopped sending them.

jor el wrote:
    My point was that the registered person most likely has no idea their name is being used and won't know who is responsible. That's the whole point of identity theft, you get to blame someone who has no connection with you or the scam.

Fair point, but the hosting company must be being paid by someone; that someone is possibly unaware that they are paying for this site but there must be some way of finding out who is using their identity.
    If someone submits their credit card details to this site then those details are stored by a database on the hosting company I'd imagine. There must be some way of knowing who exactly has access to that database.

Advertisement