Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin-the southern elete and the biased media

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

<OT>
    ...exports from Ireland by U.S. subsidiaries (at $37 billion in 2003) account for more than 30% of all Irish exports
    30% of exports; exports account for 85% of GDP; which means America's export share is 25% of GDP.

But that document also states that there are "more than 560" American companies operating in Ireland. Dell, Microsoft, Intel, Hewlett-Packard, Google, MBNA, IBM, Wyeth, Boston Scientific, Janssen, Xerox, McDonalds, GlaxoSmithKline, Oracle, Hertz all employ over 1000 people. To suggest that only 3 firms account for 95% of US firms' exports and thus 24% of GDP is ludicrous. Certainly, American firms account for 24% of GDP, but it's not just three of them.
    </OT>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Tristrame wrote:
    Most people I reckon have the cop on to see the IRA and Sinn Féin as always being and always have been one and the same regardless of their insistance otherwise which makes that question a non sequitor.
    I take you mean Non sequitur, my question was if Sinn Fein had severed all ties with the IRA 10 years do you think we would have the peace we now have, could FG or FF have delivered that peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

irish1 wrote:
    I take you mean Non sequitur
    I take it you mean... :rolleyes:.

That would be correct Ibid :D

It still makes it a non sequitur.

A better way of putting the question would be more straight foward what if there was no political wing at all ?
    I'd imagine in 2007 if there was no political wing, and the IRA thought that collateral damage was justifiable there would be pretty much universal support in the south for shutting them down ruthlessly.

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    It still makes it a non sequitur.

A better way of putting the question would be more straight foward what if there was no political wing at all ?
    I'd imagine in 2007 if there was no political wing, and the IRA thought that collateral damage was justifiable there would be pretty much universal support in the south for shutting them down ruthlessly.

Its hard to know what might have happened if Sinn Fein weren't there, but its very easy to know what has happened Sinn Fein have delievered peace, as I have said the economic policies of the party and lack of experience in government are obviously good reasons not to vote for the party but what they have acheived in Northern Ireland is imo at least a good reason to consider voting for them. Irish Citizens have elected them to lead them in powersharing in Northern Ireland, that nobody can deny.

Well you would be one of the few then, that can divorce relief that the situation is sorted, from responsibility for a lot of it in the first place.
    The latter in my opinion divorces much of the kudos value from what should have been sorted 20 years ago or more.

Secondly I personally would not use something that is already a moral imprematur as a justification for voting for a party for the governance of this jurisdiction.
    Enda Kenny doesn't have the "luxury" of saying hey we stopped killing and shooting -yipee vote for us... Why ? Well uhmmm because he didn't justify killing and shooting in his political lifetime afaik ergo he didn't have to go through a rennaissance on that one.
    He had already started from the position of the imprematur.
    Irish Citizens have elected them to lead them in powersharing in Northern Ireland, that nobody can deny.
    Thats another non sequitur as we are talking about the governance of a completely different jurisdiction with a totally different mindset to up North.
    Down here it's policies and your record in office if you are the incumbent that win or lose most of the votes and that the way it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Thank you for this unbiased and highly factually acurate portrayal of recent history. I have seen the light. I'll be applying to RTE for a job since I now know the truth. In my spare time I'll learn to sing the British national anthem and lobby all politicians to make an oath to the queen. Hell, if I get in the right circles, I may even get no limit interest free loans; be able vent my prejudices; and do a spot of historical revisionism. What! Tally ho!

Exctly which piece of my last post was historically inaccurate. The fact that the previous assembly was dissolved because they couldn't govern? mainly due to the fact that many ministers including the former NI minister for Education spent more time deciding what flag to fly over his building rather than actually doing his job?

That Sinn Fein was \is the political wing of an illegal terrorist organisation whose "soldiers" are nothing more than gutless cowards who killed innocent people and then claimed to be "political prisoners" and therefore entitled to special treatment and were then let out before they even started truely paying for their crimes?

It shouldn't take you too long to learn God Save the Queen, just take a look at a recording the Irish - England rugby match at Croke Park, around 99.9% of people in the stadium were mature and civilised enough to give it the respect that it deserves.

I assume that you saw the picture of the "republican" protester outside in a Celtic soccer jersey with the "No foreign Games" sign, the "biased" papers didn't even have to put a caption under that picture to show how brain-washed certain Sinn Fein supporters actually are..

Just to clarify, all TD's are loyal to the head of State of the Republic, aka The President of Ireland

irish1 wrote:
    I don't think FF, FG, Labour or the PD's could have delivered that, you could talk about the past of the Sinn Fein or you can talk about the present and how they have helped bring peace to this Island,.

You're probably right, but then again last time I checked, none of the parties mentioned had direct links with terrorist organisations, since the foundation of the Irish state anyway.

It was very easy for Sinn Fein \ I.R.A. to bring peace as they were the ones with the bombs and guns, so all they had to do was stop using them and hey presto "peace"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭GabharBrean

jahalpin wrote:
    I assume that you saw the picture of the "republican" protester outside in a Celtic soccer jersey with the "No foreign Games" sign, the "biased" papers didn't even have to put a caption under that picture to show how brain-washed certain Sinn Fein supporters actually are..

Along with all your other accuracies, you might do research into who actually held the protest. It wasn't SF.

To others who are never going to vote for SF. So be it. I do not know of any democratic political party that has ever garnered 100% of the vote. Some believe they should, but I have yet to hear any SF politician make this claim. There are many people who are never going to vote for FF, FG. etc. Probably the fastest growing sector of the electorate is the apathetic - i.e. people who have lost all interest in politics and will not vote.

• Advertisement

It is not, as per your original post, the Irish media who dampen people's opinion of SF, it is comments like this one.

Yeah, it'll be a real election turner. It'll stand out from all the unbiased and enlightened commentary surrounding it.

Along with all your other accuracies, you might do research into who actually held the protest. It wasn't SF.

I never said the protest was held by Sinn Fein, it was helf by RSF so my description of the protester as a "repubican" is accurate.

jahalpin wrote:
    I never said the protest was held by Sinn Fein, it was helf by RSF so my description of the protester as a "repubican" is accurate.

Come on, your quote is 3 or 4 items above. Just read it again and stop obfusticating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

to show how brain-washed certain Sinn Fein supporters actually are.

He got you there jahalpin, you did seem to get RSF and Sinn Fein mixed up!

He got you there jahalpin, you did seem to get RSF and Sinn Fein mixed up!

My mistake, I admit it. Sorry.

Whatever republican party the guy was from he still looked pretty stupid though, didn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

He did look silly, in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

jahalpin wrote:
    It was very easy for Sinn Fein \ I.R.A. to bring peace as they were the ones with the bombs and guns, so all they had to do was stop using them and hey presto "peace"

I believe that statement to be wrong. life in the north of Ireland would have been much much more simplier and conflict easier to solve if that had been the case. the fact of the matter is that the IRA and sinn fein where (are?) just one small part of a much larger puzzle. It doesnt help in trying to understand the history that is currently being made when looking at it in such a simplified way.

If in fact the IRA had stopped bombing without any further discussion of the matter or any negotiations then the north would still be a place where average nationalist punters could and would be subject to the various forms of harrassment from government bodies, and the UVF/UDA/other TLAs beginning with U would still be terrorising the 6 counties (though many believe they stilla re anyway).

The heel of the hunt is that you cant claim republicans (specifically those in Sinn fein and the IRA) single handedly caused all the crap that was going on and to do so just isnt correct.

Advertisement