Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology & Production in LIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭RINO87

Cato wrote: »
    well if LIT`s idea of "recording" is still hook a fecking mic up to the sound card on a 10 year old pc and giving an hours theory how to do it before hand, i would rather go to UL and not "record" at all. :o

i had two years of that aswell! but this year its totally different. theres proper recording studios, and proper mics, neumann, rode, etc. Full pro-tools with digidesign desks, yamaha o2r desks.

they have realised how ****ed up video and sound was when we got in proper lecturers, theyre adding in an extra year as a B.Science, getting rid of all the electronics ****e and cocentrating completely on pro tools and avid.

dont get me wrong the facilites up to this year were by far the worst in the country, but theyre finally getting it right this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

RINO87 wrote: »
    i had two years of that aswell! but this year its totally different. theres proper recording studios, and proper mics, neumann, rode, etc. Full pro-tools with digidesign desks, yamaha o2r desks.

they have realised how ****ed up video and sound was when we got in proper lecturers, theyre adding in an extra year as a B.Science, getting rid of all the electronics ****e and cocentrating completely on pro tools and avid.

dont get me wrong the facilites up to this year were by far the worst in the country, but theyre finally getting it right this year

well its actually sounding better than it was, but i will remain skeptical, i will beleive it when i see it! all i remember is what a circus that course was and everyone who did it would agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Cato wrote: »
    well its actually sounding better than it was, but i will remain skeptical, i will beleive it when i see it! all i remember is what a circus that course was and everyone who did it would agree...

Mango's right, the music tech course in LIT is suberb, top notch studios (3 actually, with live rooms), 6 editing suites, a MIDI room with keyboards for every computer....its good, dont believe?? come and check it out!!

Steve_o wrote: »
    Mango's right, the music tech course in LIT is suberb, top notch studios (3 actually, with live rooms), 6 editing suites, a MIDI room with keyboards for every computer....its good, dont believe?? come and check it out!!
    cool can i crash at your place? :D

Na seriously im done with media courses, if i ever did one it would be that fas course in tralee supposed to be the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭maca912

i'm finishing second year in the music tech course there's 4 studios not 3 steve, 2 digidesign, 1 yamaha o2r and a soundcraft analogue, to be honest sbout it i live in the studio i've often started in there at 8:30 in the morning and not gone home till 10pm at night.

The UL course is very synthesis and theory based and while it does provide a superb knowledge and understanding of synthesis etc Nothing beats the quality and hands on approach that LIT provides, Thats coming from all my lecturers, the windmill lane staff and any other employees of the colleges that has come and visited the college.

All i have to say is that i have attended UL and this is my second course, i tend to prefer LIT to UL but thats my opinion. I have mates in UL and maynooth studying the courses and they don't know what an sm57 or 58 are and they're in second year!

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thanks for that Maca...one of my friends dropped out of UL and is thinking of taking the IT course so i'm going to accept the IT course if I get it also. I really wanna work in the studio so to hear you spend that long in there is deadly!:D
    Could you tell me if they do tutorials in music theory coz I can't read music but can play the drums and guitar. I know in UL they have lectures teaching music from scratch or is it at all necessary in the IT?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Music Style and structure pretty much starts off from scratch and roisin is a cool enough teacher unfortunately you wont be using the studios in first year but you will be learning studio etiquette and using tascams (multitack recorders) to get you started, which aint too bad as you'll need to know how to work them prperly before the proper desks.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Second Year is better than waiting for Third Year in the University. I might get a summer job in the recording studio here in town so I hope to have a fair idea of how it works before going in.
    I'm glad they do the music from scratch as it is something I have wanted to learn to do for the past 4 years but never had the chance of time...

maca912 wrote: »
    Music Style and structure pretty much starts off from scratch and roisin is a cool enough teacher unfortunately you wont be using the studios in first year but you will be learning studio etiquette and using tascams (multitack recorders) to get you started, which aint too bad as you'll need to know how to work them prperly before the proper desks.:cool:

studio etiquette??? bollocks!!
    theres some people up there wouldnt know a bit of manners if it came up and slapped them in the face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LayneVedder

Agreed.
    blatant disregard for what other people might be workin on.
    some people leave a serious mess up there its fairly bad. on the other hand, they are savage studios, cant go wrong like

• Advertisement

a little acoustic treatment wouldnt have hurt!!

but thats just nitpicking at stuff. its great that they are there after all the talk! I'd say they should get a fair bit of use over the summer!

its good to hear they got studios an all, they should of had it when they started that course, but oh well at least they have it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

there would have been studios from day one only for all the government & EU-imposed rules on tendering - believe me, I was involved in many aspects of this course.

I'm really glad to hear the very positive comments - makes it all worthwhile.

g :)

studio etiquette??? bollocks!!
    theres some people up there wouldnt know a bit of manners if it came up and slapped them in the face

Indeed, those video and sound lads haven't a clue altogether, everytime they had class, there was a problem with the desks. They should've been shown the basics instead of jumping in the deep end.

Indeed, those video and sound lads haven't a clue altogether, everytime they had class, there was a problem with the desks. They should've been shown the basics instead of jumping in the deep end.

hehe when i was there it was the other way around ;)

oh dear, now lets not turn this into a row!

Oooo thats a bit harsh....

Yeah well i was sick of the sly comments on this thread aimed at music tech, It works both ways!

The studios are closed from today over the summer! bummer!:(

no one is trying to be sly. my manners comment was aimed at both courses, lecturers included, its a shame when you've got something cool going and people interrupt sessions. both courses are guilty of that.

its true that some people havent the first clue what to do up there, but again its from both courses in fairness, in my experience anyway.

its a shame the studios are closed, hopefully its to upgrade some of the equipment. Some really nice boutiqe pre-amps and some cool outboard gear would go down a treat!

The studios are closed from today over the summer! bummer!:(

Are the Edit Suites open??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Well, got offered a place for next year, would appreciate any information ye got handy.
    and how much is da registration fee,
    if ya got lots of info and ye could cut and paste it, PM me and i'll send on email adddress. Sound

Not lookin for outside opinions, just a heads up on what to expect, should i have my own pro tools set up etc.

mr biazzi wrote: »
    Well, got offered a place for next year, would appreciate any information ye got handy.
    and how much is da registration fee,
    if ya got lots of info and ye could cut and paste it, PM me and i'll send on email adddress. Sound

Not lookin for outside opinions, just a heads up on what to expect, should i have my own pro tools set up etc.

Your own Pro Tools set up is not necessary as you wont be doin much with pro tools in 1st yr... you will be doing most of your recording on Tascam 8 channel portastudios of which there are 10 in the college... there are 2 digital and 1 analog studios but they are generally gonna be in use by the 2nd and 3rd years, but they can be booked in advance if you really need them... I just finished 1st yr, and the subjects we had were Music Technology, Digital Workstation, Music Styles and Structures, Audio Electronics, Electrical Technology and Sound and Light (very easy maths)

its a shame the studios are closed, hopefully its to upgrade some of the equipment. Some really nice boutiqe pre-amps and some cool outboard gear would go down a treat!

Its just a certain lecturer being a bit of a control freak there's no updates apart from a few instruments as far as i know. By the end of next year there'll be another studio like on the top floor especially for the audio side of things and the current one will be used strictly for video. there should be another studio and live room too!
    Are the Edit Suites open??

No mate they're all closed!:mad:

No mate they're all closed!:mad:

What about doin repeat projects so??

yeah, we were told theyre putting another building beside the current one, with more studios and perormace space etc, should be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

its mad this is the busiest thread on LIT,

What about doin repeat projects so??

Unsure, Did you get a letter from L.I.T. saying you had to repeat?

Unsure, Did you get a letter from L.I.T. saying you had to repeat?

I have to re submit some of the digi workstation lab reports that got lost over email... I got a letter to this effect saying they had to be re-submitted by August 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mr. GNR

This course will be my 1st choice.... hope i get the points!!! seems there is a lot of interest in it so they may go up... what ya think..??

• Advertisement

mr biazzi wrote: »
    its mad this is the busiest thread on LIT,

yea lol music techs and V&S boys have to much time on their hands posting on the internet! :pac:

Advertisement