Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology & Production in LIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭RINO87

block 15 is going to be fair busy next year! 4th year is confirmed for sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RINO87 wrote: »
    block 15 is going to be fair busy next year! 4th year is confirmed for sept.

You mean the course is going to be 4 years from next September?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

I think the 4th year is an add on masters,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

mr biazzi wrote: »
    I think the 4th year is an add on masters,

Dont think its a masters, It the level 8 degree isn't it??

mars bar: 4th year is optional....

Oh right. That's cool!

• Advertisement

its a level 8 hons degree, you can skip the level 8 and go straight for the masters from either music tech level 7 or video + sound level 7, if you have a good portfolio, but in fairness, if you are that good you're wasting you time pricking about in LIT!

the only thing i can say is get "into" your course as early as you can, read all the sound on sound mags they have in the library, get music tech magazine for their free dvd, glance over the articles, theyre nothing compared to tape-op tho! hopefuly LIT will have a tape-op sub for 08-09

SUBSCRIBE TO TAPE-OP MAGAZINE!!!! its the best recording mag on the market by far! and its FREE!! (cheers ciaran! best read ive ever had!) tapeop.com for the free sub.
    remember that any computer literate person can now produce music, you have to try and do something that makes you stand out, look what george martin did with tape machienes! Unfortunatley doing mus tech or v+s no longer gives you an edge, your qualification may get your foot inside the door but ultimatley you have got to carve your own niche, something that few, if any courses in this country help you to do.

To do that you need a great group of musicians around you, not just a standard "rock" band. I have been really lucky to have some in my class, from savage vocalists and lead players to sax, brass and some of the finest underground electro that this city has produced in years (karl ,graeme and peter!)

Study george martin! personally i find what he, alan parsons, bones howe and countless other classic producers did with simple tape manipulation far more fascinating than anything that can be done on pro-tools (still a magical program tho!), logic, cubase or ableton and their equivalentents.

theres a great free DAW called reaper on the net, download it. most plugins work with it and its easy enough on your CPU (a decent laptop should have no probs.) again cheers to ciaran for showing me reaper!
    the amount of reading you can do is endless! most of all have fun, get to know your equipment and question everything! theres no right or wrong, only opinions!

Great post...heading to tapeop.com right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭maca912

RINO87 wrote: »
    theres no right or wrong, only opinions!

There're right and wrong opinions though :rolleyes:

Just poking fun! Yeah those magazines are top notch! Mus Tech is pretty much based on S.O.S.

yeah music tech has savage free samples, but it just reads like a giant advert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭maca912

I meant the Course music tech, being based on S.O.S. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

What genres of music are involved? Classical, rock, pop, dance, film, or a combination? thanks

Watever you bring to the table i'd say. they just teach you how to use the technology. up to yourself wat you wanna put through it.

What genres of music are involved? Classical, rock, pop, dance, film, or a combination? thanks

I agree with mr biazzi, its whatever you want it too be...

The only thing is, in Music Styles and Structures you study Classical, Romantic, Renaissance, Irish, Blues and Modern and maybe one or 2 others. That was what we did this year anyway.

I accepted this course today!!

just a thought....
    could everyone involved in any of the courses that use block 15 start sending e-mails to department heads to ask for saturday opening, the place is going to be hectic up there this year i'd say, i know they turned it down last year but this year the place is going to be really busy,what with people trying to get theyre heads around avid and all, so its worth a try.

department heads are on the lit website. the v+s head is daithi.sims@lit.ie
    dunno if music tech have the same dept. head, if not can someone post it?

This is a good idea actually, Daithi Sims is involved in music tech alright, it'd be worth emailing joe.osullivan@lit.ie as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭fionntang

starting this course this year ,saw the set up down there and am really looking forward to starting!, im a bit apprehensive though as im worried i wont know enough of the technical terminology and about the programs themselves, have a brief knowledge of music production but will it be enough not to be lost?

fionntang wrote: »
    starting this course this year ,saw the set up down there and am really looking forward to starting!, im a bit apprehensive though as im worried i wont know enough of the technical terminology and about the programs themselves, have a brief knowledge of music production but will it be enough not to be lost?

The course starts at the very start... some people last yr had never been near a mixing desk when they started, you'll be fine!!

wouldn't know how to operate a mixing desk myself :eek: ,cheers for the feedback though steve

wouldn't know how to operate a mixing desk myself :eek: ,cheers for the feedback though steve

You don't need too be able... you'll be thought all that as the year progresses. Its a great course if you're willing to put the work in.

• Advertisement

I'm starting this course this year too! I'll see ya down there, or on the bus coz you'll probably have to get the connecting bus in Galway if you are going with Bus Eireann! I don't know anything about the mixing desks and that myself so you aren't alone!

:D good to have another clueless comrade on board

haha, I'm really looking forward to starting! Being clueless together doesn't look as bad!

that'll be a fun bus, gettin it myself,
    havent heard a word from them yet, gettin excited tho,
    any word on dates . .

havnt a clue on dates as in when the course starts , but will have to go down on the 8th anyways for registration,induction days on the 9th and 10th then

I wonder will there be many girls doing the course...it'd be weird if I was the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Mazletov

This must be fate, I was looking up this course during the week and this thread just happened to catch my eye now. I'm about to start my Leaving and have looked at this course as a possibility. I have a few questions and any help is much appreciated.

Is there much emphasis put on the production side (the side I find more interesting) or is it mostly technology? Music Production itself isn't available on it's own in Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong) and the closest I could find was Music Technology until I found out about this course. I was looking at Maynooth's Music Technology course but I think this might suit me better. Ideally I'd like to do a course on Music Production itself but I may have to go to Scotland for that.

Also, is it a popular course and (in general) what type of music do the people there like? I just hope its not a case of myself in with Trad Ceol lovers or Beethoven enthusiasts, because that would drive me crazy.

in my opinion music technology and music production are really two seperate things. production is kind of like arrangement, where to put in the secondary (and more) backing tracks etc, ideas on sounds and whatnot, it gets confused alot with engineering which is really getting the stuff on to tape (or hard disk!), mic placement etc.(a seperate artform in itself) that said a producer cant do much if the basic tracks sound like ****e

rick rubin has a self confessed fear of the technical side of stuff, also beonce "produced" most of destinys child and her own stuff! but
    in my view you NEED to know gear to be a good producer. you want to be able to squezze the last drop from your engineer.

producers tend to work with engineers and tell them what they want, then its up to the engineer(s) mastering gurus etc. to make the magic happen!

i dont do music tech tho, dont know how much they concentrate on the production side of things, buut i guess music styles and structures is a part of it.

on a sidenote: if you are doing music tech badger your lectuers to organize a class trip to Music Ireland in the RDS (usually in october, think it has been named something new this year) ive been to the last few, its a great showcase of the gear thats out there, all the big names have trade stands, you get to see the cutting edge of whats available in music technology, some half decent seminars too. If youre a gearhed like myself you will be in heaven, if you are nice they will let you try out anything! I got go on ableton 7 before it was released here!

woops, just remembered v+s 4 is called audio and video production!

i'd imagine audio production is a little different to music production tho.

• Advertisement

mars bar wrote: »
    I wonder will there be many girls doing the course...it'd be weird if I was the only one.
    id say it will be 50/50

Advertisement