Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing NTL BB modem

Options
  • 20-04-2007 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I have 2 XP PCs, a hub, and NTL broadband.
    I can get both PCs on the net no problem, but they can't see each other (won't network). It all worked before with Eircom, so I can only assume its the NTL modem.

Does anyone have an idea of what other modem I can get that works with NTL cable broadband (through the tv cable not phone). Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

KTdesigner wrote:
    I can get both PCs on the net no problem, but they can't see each other (won't network). It all worked before with Eircom, so I can only assume its the NTL modem.

Does anyone have an idea of what other modem I can get that works with NTL cable broadband (through the tv cable not phone). Thanks.

When you say a HUB are you referring to a standard four port extension hub?

I have never tried it that way but I have networked many NTL installations which had the Motorola modem + the Netgear wireless router without any problem.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

KTdesigner wrote:

Your previous eircom modem may have incorporated a router, which the NTL modem does not.

You bascially need a "broadband router", this can plug into youir hub and will share the NTL-BB between the two computers.

Yoru can also get a broadband router which incorporates a hub and/or wireless access if you want. Some also incorporate firewalls, VOIP ports and/or print servers

PC World usually have a nice selection, not always priced keanly.

Komplett have a section for Broadband routers and for Wireless Routes.

Avoid the routeres with built-in modems.

The LinkSys or the D-Link looks nice.

Advertisement