Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

318Ci - is this a good deal?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted this on Carzone: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=544756

2002 BMW 318Ci, 76,000 miles, gorgeous 18" M wheels, FSH & NCT till 11/2008, tons of extras but apparently no leather. €20k in a private sale. <-- that's what worries me.

Its really, really tempting me. I actually don't plan on changing my car until early next year, but the tax is due on it now and that BMW is making me drool...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thats a very nice car indeed. Would check if its a UK import with that high spec? Even so a good deal. Around that milage I would wonder about the break discs and pads too.

Very nice alloys it has to be said. Expensive to service, and would go over the service history with a fine toothcomb.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

looks wise it would have been perfect with an mtec kit :cool: - those alloys look lost on it without one.

could u not push for a 320ci ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Looks good to me TBH. Obviously have someone look over it, it's also worth noting that there is a face-lifted version of this car, minor changes though.

Plus I think that's only the 4-cylinder version, bang Ned78 a pm and he'll advise you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

My brother bought the exact same car, but Dark green with cream leather. Absolutely gorgeous car! RWD, 1.9 litre, nice stereo.. But the thing that makes such a difference is the leather interior! I've been in one without the leather and it's not half the car!

Also, worth noting, my bro only paid 13500 for his, and it only had 60k miles, although the alloys aren't as nice, but it has leather, and alloys aren't that expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought the e46 318's had 2.0 litre engines? How old was your brother's one - €20k seems on the low end of the scale for that year on Carzone (when you exclude all of the imports without any VRT paid). I have to agree with you on the leather interior too, my ould fella had a 318i saloon a couple of years ago with full leather interior, very nice :)

Anyone know if its much of a job to get an ipod connected to that BMW stereo? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Later 318's have indeed the 2L 4 Cylinder - the 320's have a 2.2L straight 6 however :)

It's a nice car to be fair, but quite lazy & lethargic IMO... and probably tough to sell on in the future (there are mega amounts of 318Ci's for sale).

It has the SE spec inside which is good, but I agree with what the lads have said already - it should have the sport kit :(

Nevertheless, the kit and the leather can be retrofitted.

Leather here: http://www.fabdirect.com/index.html

Kit here: http://www.bmwmstyle.co.uk/E46cc-Exterior.htm

Yes I know the 320 has a lovely straight six but there's insurance terror to be considered :)

I was thinking of a 320Cd too but they seem very expensive indeed compared to the petrol models.

This is all just speculation for now, I'd still have to sell my existing car unless I got a good trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Stephen wrote:
    I thought the e46 318's had 2.0 litre engines?

The initial release E46 318 came fitted with a 1.9 (I'm 95% sure).

I just got a quote from Quinn for a 320Ci and was pleasantly surprised. €1383 for fully comp. There seems to be far fewer of those on Carzone though!

This looks nice: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=563843

Yellow plates though and no mention in the ad about whether he's paid the VRT or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stephen wrote:
    Anyone know if its much of a job to get an ipod connected to that BMW stereo? :)

BMW actually made their own connector which replaces the 6 CD stack. I bought one myself, but haven't got around to fitting it.

From what I can tell, the advantage is that you can control the tracks from the stereo (and MFSW if the car has one), but the downside is that you can't use the controls on the iPod - it is effectively docked when it is connected.

You have to create up to 5 playlists called BMW 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The first 5 radio station / CD buttons on the radio will then play the playlists. I think the 6th button will play all.

I think there are a few aftermarket iPod connection kits that probably work better, but if you can just use an AUX connection on the back of the head unit it's probably more convenient again.

There was a nice 320CI with a full AC Schnitzer bodykit for sale a while back in the same topaz blue colour, not too sure if it's gone. As was mentioned, you can get the (genuine) M-Kit added on afterwards. Check out www.mstyle.co.uk for more details. They have a price for painted and fitted. This is what they will charge you to paint and ship it to you.

I know I am biased, but I like the pre-facelift model (once the nasty orange indicators have been removed).

Edit: here's the one with the AC kit, but it's a 2000 model with no leather
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=593429
    The guy who owns it is an absolute fanatic when it comes to service and maintenance. Think he's replacing it with an M3.

• Advertisement

I'm not too bothered about getting the body kit anyways, I think the stock e46 coupes look gorgeous as-is. This 320 looks tasty, full leather and all the toys: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=579910

25 grand but it is from a dealer with full BMW service history... That said it strikes me as a one-man-and-a-shed type dealership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

The engine changed in sept 01 from a 1.9 to a 2.0 valvetronic.
    This engine is very sweet and economical and probably one of the finest 2.0 engines availabe.
    I had one in a saloon and did not find it lacking at all and it is almost as smooth as a 6.
    The 2.2 6 cylinder will cost much more to tax insure and be a lot heavier on petrol while not providing substantially more power.
    The one you're looking at will have the 2.0 being a nov 2002 reg, you buy ,you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

eoin_s wrote:
    BMW actually made their own connector which replaces the 6 CD stack. I bought one myself, but haven't got around to fitting it.

From what I can tell, the advantage is that you can control the tracks from the stereo (and MFSW if the car has one), but the downside is that you can't use the controls on the iPod - it is effectively docked when it is connected.

You have to create up to 5 playlists called BMW 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. The first 5 radio station / CD buttons on the radio will then play the playlists. I think the 6th button will play all.

I think there are a few aftermarket iPod connection kits that probably work better, but if you can just use an AUX connection on the back of the head unit it's probably more convenient again.

There was a nice 320CI with a full AC Schnitzer bodykit for sale a while back in the same topaz blue colour, not too sure if it's gone. As was mentioned, you can get the (genuine) M-Kit added on afterwards. Check out www.mstyle.co.uk for more details. They have a price for painted and fitted. This is what they will charge you to paint and ship it to you.

I know I am biased, but I like the pre-facelift model (once the nasty orange indicators have been removed).

Edit: here's the one with the AC kit, but it's a 2000 model with no leather
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=593429
    The guy who owns it is an absolute fanatic when it comes to service and maintenance. Think he's replacing it with an M3.

Have a look on Ebay for a Dension Ice link (or a DICE box, same thing just a newer version)for an E46, I picked one up for about 70 dollars 6 months ago. You have to disconnect the cd changer but if you are hooking up an Ipod to the car you wont use the cd changer any more anyway. Also the MFSW controls the forward back track and vol up and down and as was mentioned earlier you just make a few play lists and switch between them as if they were CD's.
    It's easy to install if you are in any way handy, just have to disconnect the battery, pull out the boot lining, run a cable to the glovebox and it's done. Sound quality is as good as the CD player.

BMW use This same brand for their OEM Ipod kits.

The 00' & '01 E46 had a 1.9L, 115 BHP 4 cylinder, this was replaced by a 2L 143 BHP 4 Cylinder sometime in 2002

Although the 320 is very tempting now that i know insurance is actually affordable, I think I'll just stick with a 2 litre 318 for running costs and tax and all that boring stuff. Thanks for all the responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

high spec but not leather??? go to the UK and bring one in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd seriously consider the 6-pot over the 318, although the latter will be far easier to sell on for the obvious reasons
    Stephen wrote:
    I just got a quote from Quinn for a 320Ci and was pleasantly surprised. €1383 for fully comp

Goes to show that once you start moving towards 30 and have built up a few years of NCB, the quotes are getting better :)

Edit: BTW, the '99-'01 318Ci is the 1.9 (118bhp), the '01-'03 318Ci is the 2.0 (143bhp)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Yes, go to the UK, set your head on a spec, keep the eyes open on http://www.autotrader.co.uk . Sounds like you are not really in a hurry to get one. That's my vote. You'll land the leather interior, a nice unusual colour, xenon headlights, less mileage, FBMWSH, etc. for about the same money.
    Although that car is a nice colour, the wheels are probably replica wheels, in the OEM M3 wheel the rear ones are too wide to fit under the standard 3 series rear wings.
    Dealers are not too keen (think they are actually insctructed not) to sell ///M wheels & parts for non-///M cars. Just bear that in mind when thinking about the alloys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dutz

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=605134

just called this chap her and is has said he'll let it go for 15k

might got for it looks a bagain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Stephen wrote:
    I just got a quote from Quinn for a 320Ci and was pleasantly surprised. €1383 for fully comp.

that is expensive... I got €1,200 for a mitsubishi GTO and that's 3ltr 225bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Stephen wrote:
    I just got a quote from Quinn for a 320Ci and was pleasantly surprised. €1383 for fully comp. There seems to be far fewer of those on Carzone though!

This looks nice: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=563843

Yellow plates though and no mention in the ad about whether he's paid the VRT or not.

Ironically, I was looking for a 318Ci with beige leather and wood but couldn't find the right one. I ended up buying a 320Ci with the exact spec I wanted, apart from the engine. About €180 extra for road tax over the 318 and a small bit thirstier than the 318 (1.9) I had before it. Small price for the perfect car if you ask me.

€25k for a faceifted '03 seems too good to be true, or maybe that's just me being sore about what I paid last year, albeit with 12 months BMW warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Dutz wrote:

I'd get a 02 saloon with the newer engine myself but if you'r set on the coup I still think that's expensive, no mention of FSH ,no sign of the climate control he says it has no multifunction s/w, not the Mtec model, and that rear spoiler :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

I agree with the others and say that you should keep your money and go to the UK - for that money you will get an excellent spec 318 Coupe, leather and all, and it will only take you about a day to go over and get it (once you get a mechanic to check it out etc) - dont forget to budget for VRT though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Dutz wrote:

Pity about the state of the spoiler on that. Would it take much to remove it? Only spoiler that looks good on them is the small little lip one. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

FX Meister wrote:
    Pity about the state of the spoiler on that. Would it take much to remove it? Only spoiler that looks good on them is the small little lip one. IMO

Yeah. bootlip spoiler is the way to go on the e46. If that picnic table of a spoiler is drilled on to the boot, you could be in for a world of bother removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Dutz wrote:

I bought a 01 318CI 1.9 a month ago and am still in love with it, get it checked out and i promise you wont regret it. The 1.9 Vs 2.0 litre discussion didnt really bother me because at the end of the day they will both cruise along at 100-120kms without breaking a sweat and if you are going any faster than that on our roads then you are an idiot.

Few pointers on this one, it doesnt have airconditioning (mine doesnt either and on hot days with leather seats it can be a pain but i've discovered that the sunroof sorts all that out), the steering wheel cannot be converted to the MFSW from what i can see, my model doesnt have the MFSW but bmw can install it for €250 becasue it is already wired for it. the spoiler on the back kinda gives it the boy racer look because it doesnt look like a standard part i would take that off immediately and put on the boot lip. It already has the clear indicators so they will look great on the car and 80,000 is nothing for a car like this.

You will discover so many cool things with this car i found out by accident that the windows open and close by using the key i was telling people about it for a week and dont get me started on when i found the first aid kit under the passenger seat. P.M me if you need any help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Tony255 wrote:
    I bought a 01 318CI 1.9 a month ago and am still in love with it, get it checked out and i promise you wont regret it. The 1.9 Vs 2.0 litre discussion didnt really bother me because at the end of the day they will both cruise along at 100-120kms without breaking a sweat and if you are going any faster than that on our roads then you are an idiot.

Few pointers on this one, it doesnt have airconditioning (mine doesnt either and on hot days with leather seats it can be a pain but i've discovered that the sunroof sorts all that out), the steering wheel cannot be converted to the MFSW from what i can see, my model doesnt have the MFSW but bmw can install it for €250 becasue it is already wired for it. the spoiler on the back kinda gives it the boy racer look because it doesnt look like a standard part i would take that off immediately and put on the boot lip. It already has the clear indicators so they will look great on the car and 80,000 is nothing for a car like this.

You will discover so many cool things with this car i found out by accident that the windows open and close by using the key i was telling people about it for a week and dont get me started on when i found the first aid kit under the passenger seat. P.M me if you need any help

It's a nice car alright but for the price I wouldn't touch it without Climate Control (doesn't even have air-con :eek: ). If he goes to England, he will be able to buy a coupe for that price, with climate control, MFSW and full leather seats (may have to wait a while til they show up on autotrader though, high-specced 3 series' fly off the forecourts!).

Can I ask was the €250 quoted for installation of a MFSW or was that the cost of the wheel itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

Elessar wrote:
    It's a nice car alright but for the price I wouldn't touch it without Climate Control (doesn't even have air-con :eek: ). If he goes to England, he will be able to buy a coupe for that price, with climate control, MFSW and full leather seats (may have to wait a while til they show up on autotrader though, high-specced 3 series' fly off the forecourts!).

Can I ask was the €250 quoted for installation of a MFSW or was that the cost of the wheel itself?

€250 was the total cost they dont install a new wheel they only install the panel with all the buttons and keep the original wheel, this is from a main bmw dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Stephen wrote:
    Yes I know the 320 has a lovely straight six but there's insurance terror to be considered :)

I was thinking of a 320Cd too but they seem very expensive indeed compared to the petrol models.

This is all just speculation for now, I'd still have to sell my existing car unless I got a good trade in.

Actually, I just went from a 316 to a 320 and the insurance stayed the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Actually, I just went from a 316 to a 320 and the insurance stayed the same.

And a 735i V8 was cheaper insurance wise for me compared to a same year, mileage and value 523i 6L

Insurance is a mysterious business :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I posted later in the thread about how the insurance wasn't as bad as expected after getting some new quotes. Still a good €500 more than the current 1.6 I drive but only about €100 more than the 318ci.

Advertisement