Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Break-ins in Balbriggan?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I heard a couple of the town's more upstanding citizens have returned from their latest stint in their holiday home and since then, there has been a marked increase in the number of houses broken into in the town. Has anyone else heard this? I've been told of a handful in Hampton Cove and a couple in Fancourt so far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Right before this thread even gets off the ground I want to make myself very, very clear.

Do not even attempt to mention names or even hint at certain people who you suspect may be involved. If no arrests have been made then nobody here is in a position to go shooting their mouth off about who is responsible. Even if arrests have been made, choose your words very carefully.

Blastman you're sailing very close to the wind there in your opening post.

Consider yourselves warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Not sure about Balbriggan, but I live in Rush (the Lusk side of it....closer to the train station) and we have been warned by the Gardai of a string of recent break-ins in the area and to keep an eye out for a red van, northern reg..

Two of our neighbours got burgled in the last few weeks. Both same night while they were asleep in the house, and dispite alarms going off etc. Cars were broken into and an attempt to get into both houses.

Just passing on the warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Chinafoot, would you like Blastman to salute you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Yup Blastman,

I have heard of an increase in break-ins in the area recently.

A family friend of ours had her house done over while they slept upstairs.

This happened in the Chantries.

Thieving scum...

dubmick wrote:
    Chinafoot, would you like Blastman to salute you?

PM sent, please do not drag the thread off-topic again thanks. If you have a problem with moderation feel free to PM me or go to the Feedback forum.

On-topic:

An aunt of mine was broken into a few weeks ago. There was a period of 3 or 4 nights where there were a number of break-ins around the town.

It sucks. Best make sure the alarms are all in working order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm an Area Co-ordinator on The Hills Community Alert Committee. We had a meeting the other night & had an update on the goings on in our area which covers from Barnageera to Darcystown to Man-O-War to Baldongan & all points in between.

There have been 14 break-ins in that area between January & last weekend. Another 2 or 3 on top of that earlier this week in Ballastown (sp?) & Balcunnin this week alone.

Apparently, the majority of the rural break-ins are smash & grab efforts. They are taking items within easy reach (car keys, wallets, etc.) & are in & out in mere seconds. They are breaking in even when the premises is alarmed.

The premises are being given the once-over in advance for easy pickings. A "marker" is being left at the entrance to the property (in quite a few incidents this has been a banana-skin). So keep an eye out for anything out of place at the entrance to your or your neighbours' properties. The "raiding party" are then doing the houses at a later stage - in some instances as early as 6:30 pm, but generally in the wee hours.

Anyone living in the above area is welcome (& encouraged!) to attend The Hills Community Alert AGM next Wednesday (25th April) in The Hills Cricket Club. Start time is either 8:00 or 8:30 - will confirm Monday.

The Crime Prevention Officer of the Garda Louth/Meath Division is due to attend to offer advice on guarding your premises. A local Garda Inspector will be attending also.

Be careful out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Hill Billy wrote:
    The premises are being given the once-over in advance for easy pickings. A "marker" is being left at the entrance to the property (in quite a few incidents this has been a banana-skin). So keep an eye out for anything out of place at the entrance to your or your neighbours' properties. The "raiding party" are then doing the houses at a later stage - in some instances as early as 6:30 pm, but generally in the wee hours.

jesus that is very worrying, I am in Balrothery and I haven't heard anything recently but there was a lot of robberies last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The little b@stards round our way throw that much rubbish around it would be hard to pick a marker out! Don't parents teach their kids not to litter any more?

Anyway, I'm buying a couple of extra bolts, just in case. And possibly a baseball bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

blastman wrote:
    And possibly a baseball bat.

I have a similar "home protection system". :)
    I hope I never have to use it though. :(

Hill Billy wrote:
    I have a similar "home protection system". :)
    I hope I never have to use it though. :(

4 cell maglite for me! And likewise...I hope it stays as a torch!

That 'marker' thing is very interesting. You're full of facts Hill Billy! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭hargo

Blastman yes there have been a few break ins but fortunately there has also been an arrest and a suspect before the court, so sleep tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Fair play to the cops and a few locals from the Fancourt area who at 3.30am on Sat 14th managed to firstly chased off the main perpetrator and then catch them.

Was quite strange to see a road block in Fancourt Heights at that hour of the morning!

Bluetonic wrote:
    Fair play to the cops and a few locals from the Fancourt area who at 3.30am on Sat 14th managed to firstly chased off the main perpetrator and then catch them.

Was quite strange to see a road block in Fancourt Heights at that hour of the morning!

Great stuff!!! One less!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I heard someone was caught, all right. Was that what the furore at the back of Fancourt Heights was that night (in the third row)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Bluetonic wrote:

excellent;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The details are in the Fingal this week, only a small snippet. Person has been charged with a break in at Seapoint on the night of the 14th, further charges are to follow.

Bluetonic wrote:
    The details are in the Fingal this week, only a small snippet. Person has been charged with a break in at Seapoint on the night of the 14th, further charges are to follow.

Lets hope someone actually does some jail time for this.

I won't be holding my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Chinafoot wrote:
    Lets hope someone actually does some jail time for this.

I won't be holding my breath though.

i would say that, that would be very likely after reading the snippet in the fingal

Advertisement