Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband providers in Tullamore

Options
  • 20-04-2007 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

As the titles says, who will provide broadband in Tullamore?

There's always the phone line but Eircom want 100 euro to reconnect it with only a possibility that the line will be suitable for broadband so I'm looking at alternatives with a better chance of working.

One I've heard of is ICE, with an anntenna on the bridge center I belive but from what I can see they don't have the best reputation for maintaining their service in other parts of the country. Anyone know what it's like around Offaly/Tullamore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

The only other provider I know of for Wireless is Last Mile, and I wouldn't recommend them (having been a previous customer). Ty other landline-based operators to see what they charge for reconnection charges etc. There might be one that doesn't charge at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Seanie M wrote:
    The only other provider I know of for Wireless is Last Mile, and I wouldn't recommend them (having been a previous customer). Ty other landline-based operators to see what they charge for reconnection charges etc. There might be one that doesn't charge at all.

Hi Seanie .. That's the first I've heard of Last Mile. Serious need for wireless in the midlands? can i ask what the problem was with them?! have had a look at the website and see that they can only get a connection if you're in 'clear sight' of one of their bases... and it also says that you need to send the connection fee cheque BEFORE they come out. If they can't get a connection they will refund it MINUS €30 for their engineer. Don't like the sound of that but would be interested in hearing your experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

That's the problem elvis - it appears from your post that you think it is run by cowboys: it is!

Not once did I get a statement. Sure, the money was taken out of my account by direct debit each month, but nothing arrived in the post unless it was requested.

Ring their customer service line - chances are it won't be answered.

Over the course of the contract (12 months) there were many downtime periods with no notice or explanations. Again, try ringing their customer service line when there's a fault - there IS no customer service when there is a fault.

They only operate on a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday policy, so if your internet is down on a Friday night, you might get service resuming on Saturday... sometime... or might have to wait (on one occasion for me) till Monday.

Their home-based package is €40 per month on a 512kbits down/128kbits up connection - with a contention ratio of up to 38:1. That means that IF you had say 25 people online in your area at the same time, you'd achieve bad dial-up speeds for your, um, broadband (never mind the full whack of 38 simultaneous surfers).

In contrast to their prices, I immediately cut them off when the 12 month contract was up and switched to UTV Internet (Clicksilver) - €21 per month for 2Mbits down/256kbits up connection - minimum 4 times faster than Last Mile, with a lower contention ratio, better service, for half the price, thank you very much.

Sure, NOW, they keep sending letters requesting information as to why the direct debit was cut "because we cannot collect monies owed to us". I cut them off at the right time of the monthly payment cycle, and "disposed" of their router so that I can't connect to their service anymore since that date. A letter was also sent to confirm all this so that I didn't have to waste another monthly payment. That was at the end of November. I don't think they can add 1+1 yet...

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Don't think I'll be going down that route then! I think I can put up with something not working occasionally etc.. but the most frustrating thing in the world is bad customer service !! I'm still stuck with eircom, it's a ridiculous price. Might look into clicksilver.. Is there availability good? It's a pity that there isn't more wireless options yet in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jonas1977

have u tried 3s mobile broadband. they have a usbmodem or datacard vailable with coverage in the tullamore area. I picked one up 2 weeks ago and its working perfectly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Anyone else using ICE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ebaffo

:) I have 2 weeks ago along with a lot of others acquired the ICE Braodband Service in Mucklagh/Screggan which is Serviced by the Mast in Charleville Castle . To date the Service has been V.Good with Connect Speeds 1 - 2Mb nothing Less, I am only using it after work so I am only commenting on Regular Night usage over the last Two Weeks. I am awaiting the Router which is 2b delivered 2dy to Setup the Phone Capability. If this is successfull its bye bye that Useless Asset Stripper Eircom . To Date I have always gotten somebody when I ring Customer Service and they have been very polite and helpful , also their engineer did a Very Tidy Job during Installation and if 1st imnpressions are anything 2go by then I will be a satisfied Customer . By the way I tried the 3G Mobile and while its is slightly better than analogue , it got progessively worse over the last few months so I dumped it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Do us a favour and let us know how the speeds are holding up after about six months. Any idea of the contention ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ebaffo

Will do and will advise about phone in 1 month do not yet about contention ratios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Still getting great speeds, as I've shown in the stickied ICE thread 6Mb is achievable on a consistent basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Antisocialnerd

I use Ice in tullamore i'm Down near the hospital and in general thier V.Good with good signal and V.Good speed BUT they can and do have periods where they are down with no explanation etc it happens a reasonable amount but considering the cost etc i feel happy enough with them if you must have an internet connection thats reliable and up pretty much all the time don't use ice but if you feel ok about your net being down maybe 1 day every 9 ish or so randomly then fair enough.

Advertisement