Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i want a wabbit!

Options
  • 20-04-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi folks! Just looking for some advice here. Im very interested in getting a pet rabbit, a dwarf rabbit to be exact. I picked up a book on them today, because I want to find out as much as possible about them. I read a few things that makes me think I shouldn't get one, despite how much I'd love one! Firstly, is it really bad to keep them outside, in a large hut? I would love to keep him indoors, preferably in my room, but there are 3 problems here -
    a) i think my mam would dissaprove
    b)my room quite small, so a large pen for them to run around wouldn't be possible,
    and c) my brother plays the drums. Constantly. And I know they have sensitive ears..

I don't even have a shed to keep him in, only a garage which is very damp and cold so obviously not a good idea!!

I plan that if I did have one, that he would spend alot of time inside, with the family, but it's the sleeping arrangements that are proving to be a problem, also for when there is no-one home. (which would be a max of 6 hours, apart from holidays)

Also, would it be a better idea to get two females so they'd have company? I also heard that rabbits and guinea pigs get on well. Is this true?

Again, I just want to find out all I can. Pets are such a committment, and I don't want to get one unless I can give the little fella the best outta life.

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

just saw care sheet for rabbits..... i can't believe I missed it, i went through all the pages looking for one!
    Yes, blondes have more fun but man we sure are dumb! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You would need a small potting shed to be honest with the price of hutches nowdays especially the big ones it would be cheaper to get a small shed. You can build on a run to that.

Never ever house guinea pigs and rabbits together, many rabbit and guinea pgis books are outdate with that advice. Wether you get two females or one they would need to be spayed at 6 months (to avoid reproductive cancers and agressive behaviour with you and other rabbits) not to mention the VHD and Myxotamosis vaccination. To get a rabbit set up properly esp in the first 6 to 7 months can be expensive.
    They do make great pets though just be careful where you buy a rabbit try contacting rescues like Clare animal welfare or the DSPCA sometimes rescues have young rabbits that have already been neutered/spayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Good luck if you get one, I've wanted on for years and I'm not allowed (I'm 39!!!)
    A friend of mine had one in her kitchen, he used to go around the place on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

RE the drums, they could be very stressfull to a rabbit esp. a new one that isn't used to house noises. It takes a while for them to get used to the noise of a hoover so drums could be stressful it would be something to keep in mind, make sure the bunny has a quiet (well as possible) place to hide.

Mabey stock up on egg boxes and stick them on your brothers walls where he plays the drums..I've heard they make good soundproofing :D

Magnumlady methinks you should put your foot down, a pair of rabbits can be a joy to have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

RE the drums, they could be very stressfull to a rabbit esp. a new one that isn't used to house noises. It takes a while for them to get used to the noise of a hoover so drums could be stressful it would be something to keep in mind, make sure the bunny has a quiet (well as possible) place to hide.

Mabey stock up on egg boxes and stick them on your brothers walls where he plays the drums..I've heard they make good soundproofing :D

Magnumlady methinks you should put your foot down, a pair of rabbits can be a joy to have :D

Oh I better not (as much as I'd love too), our cat just had 4 kittens today, so now we have 3 cats, 4 kittens, a fish, yellow bellied slider and stick insect! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement