Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Treatment to stop smoking

• 20-04-2007 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello

Just want to say I have had laser treatment to stop smoking and it has worked a treat. I feel absolutely delighted to be off the smokes after 14 years of smoking. I would advise everyone to try this new treatment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Eh? What is that, I thought lasers cut people? sorry, I've never heard of laser treatment for smoking.
    could you please explain what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

First of all it is a cold laser, the basically laser certain points on your head and hands and this takes away the craving for Nicotine. Believe me it really does I was an extremely heavy smoker and had zero will power to beat the cravings. So in the first week you might get the thought into your head like "Hey I should be having a cigarette now shouldnt I" but you just dont want to because there is no urge. Its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Miss Judy

Hi Teenagekicks,

Could you tell me where this laser treatment is available as it sounds like what I need.
    I want to give up and I have to give you but the cravings just get me all the time nomatter how hard I try and I seem to be smoking heavier than ever over the last 6 months. Have been stressed & alot happening in life but I can't be using this as a excuse to smoke so much.
    I have 2 small kids who I want to watch grow up and a husband who is getting sick of me going out the back 3/4 times an evening smoking.

I would love to do this and kick them to the kerb for good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭TeenageKicks

Hey Miss Judy I dont want to appear to be advertising on this site, I actually live on the continent and had to go to Amsterdam for this treatment (it only cost 115 Euro) but maybe your doctor has heard of it and you could ask him/her are there similar treatments in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vinotinto77

Wow - can't believe people knew about this back in 2007 - I used Laser Therapy to stop smoking back in December but had never heard of it before then - it worked so well for me.... Off them 56 days now (not that I'm counting ;)!!) The place I went to is fairly new to Dublin as far as I know - on Pearse Street or Westland Row - they're great!!!! So surprised that I had never heard of it before now - need to spread the word!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Wow - can't believe people knew about this back in 2007 - I used Laser Therapy to stop smoking back in December but had never heard of it before then - it worked so well for me.... Off them 56 days now (not that I'm counting ;)!!) The place I went to is fairly new to Dublin as far as I know - on Pearse Street or Westland Row - they're great!!!! So surprised that I had never heard of it before now - need to spread the word!!!!

2 POSTS?, is this per chance a scam?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Dempo1 wrote: »
    2 POSTS?, is this per chance a scam?

Both posts relate to the same topic. I think you might be right.

Both posts relate to the same topic. I think you might be right.

I sensed and then smelled a rat here, if it is a scam, shame on the OP. Never in my life have i heard of laser treatment that helps with quitting smoking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Spoke to a doctor about it before, ain't a scam.....but its a placebo. All in th mind. Can't burn the addiction out of yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vinotinto77

Hi Dempo 1 - not sure if you are a smoker or not... But if you are you will know 1) How hard it is to give up and 2) if you do manage to quit - you want to talk about it and scream it from the rooftops.... All I know is that I am new to internet discussions and I joined boards this evening to interact with other people online and to talk about things in my life - ONE of which happens to be the fact that recently I managed to finally become a non-smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

cursai wrote: »
    Spoke to a doctor about it before, ain't a scam.....but its a placebo. All in th mind. Can't burn the addiction out of yourself!

you shouldn't have said that ;) now everyone knows it's a scam and it won't work for anyone here :(

Hi Dempo 1 - not sure if you are a smoker or not... But if you are you will know 1) How hard it is to give up and 2) if you do manage to quit - you want to talk about it and scream it from the rooftops.... All I know is that I am new to internet discussions and I joined boards this evening to interact with other people online and to talk about things in my life - ONE of which happens to be the fact that recently I managed to finally become a non-smoker.

I am a smoker and would dearly love to give them up, hence the reason your post caught my attention, however having researched this subject quite extensively, i have never heard of what appears to be complete nonesense. Not once in my many conversations with experts, doctors or indeed reading up on the subject has laser treatment ever been mentioned.

In my humble opinion, will power and a determined plan of action/approach is the only route to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

This kind of thing is marketed at those people who are scientifically literate enough to know that alternative hippy airy fairy therapies like acupuncture are a load of old cobblers(thus placebo effect wont work) but who are not scientifically literate enough to know psuedo scientific BS when they see it with fancy sciency words like...LASERS!...and...QUANTUM!!....and....ELECTROMAGNETIC!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 waza

Having posted on this before i came across this thread and and thought the results of this study might inform ...In 2008 Middlesex University undertook a study on the effects of Laser Therapy on a selection of smokers who wanted to stop smoking. Conducted by Dr. Catherine Kerr & Paul Lowe, the published results demonstrated an immediate stop smoking rate of 79% with no ongoing nicotine use; and at 6 months 55% of the original treatment group were still not smoking.
    Got the Car roof fixed in the end ..only a relay!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I has laser too, many many years ago, somewhere in howth i think, It didnt work for me, and if i remember rightly, it was:( very expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

waza wrote: »
    Having posted on this before i came across this thread and and thought the results of this study might inform ...In 2008 Middlesex University undertook a study on the effects of Laser Therapy on a selection of smokers who wanted to stop smoking. Conducted by Dr. Catherine Kerr & Paul Lowe, the published results demonstrated an immediate stop smoking rate of 79% with no ongoing nicotine use; and at 6 months 55% of the original treatment group were still not smoking.
    Got the Car roof fixed in the end ..only a relay!!

The results of that study are very positive alright. It should just be kept in mind that it was conducted on only 340 people (which is a pretty small sample group) and the groups in the study were randomised, meaning potentially one group may have been made up of 80% females and another only 5% females. Or one group may have been mainly in their 20's and another mainly over 40. As well as that the participants were people who responded to an appearance by one of the researchers asking on TV for people who wanted to try and quit smoking with the use of laser acupressure. So that can also scew the results.

This is just one small study carried out by two doctors employed in areas of complimentary medicine so don't be overly impressed by the results. Although that's not to say there is not something to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Hi,was hoping to see some positivity about this laser treatment.They do it in Naas and I was really thinking of doing it.Its E150 for the treatment,think its 3 sessions.Now I'm confused again:( Has anyone had it done in Naas?
    The leaflet says something about when giving up fags yoour endorphins decrease which cause cravings and withdrawals,the laser treatment is supposed to increase these endorphins,hence no cravings?????A bit too scientific for me,but it sounds good:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

This place does it near fairview a friend of mine had it done about 7 years ago and hasn't smoked since

http://www.danielgiron.info/index.html

Advertisement