Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths: Easy Statics Q

Options
  • 20-04-2007 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

But one I can't do. It's probably so simple. :/

Ex 8A Q4 in the brown book

Masses of weights x and w are placed at the ends of a light plank. Show that the line of action of the resultant divides the plank into two pieces whose lenghts are in the ratio x:w.

Don't do it all for me but get me started. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Jrembin wrote:
    But one I can't do. It's probably so simple. :/

Ex 8A Q4 in the brown book

Masses of weights x and w are placed at the ends of a light plank. Show that the line of action of the resultant divides the plank into two pieces whose lenghts are in the ratio x:w.

Don't do it all for me but get me started. Thanks.

Draw a sketch showing the two forces. The two forces (and hence the resultant) are acting downwards. Represent the resultant by an arrow acting through some point O on the plank. Call the lengths of the two bits, say, L1 and L2. Use the fact that the moments about O have to sum to zero.

Advertisement