Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boarding kennels

Options
  • 20-04-2007 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am consider starting up a boarding kennels for dogs and would apericate any imformation and helpful advice anyone might have, Particulary about the laws and regulations involved in this,
    thank you in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I worked in the dspca animal shelter in stockingwood lane in 1999, and some of the job was in the dog/cat kennels.
    I don't know if the setup you are considering is rows of kennels like they would have there.
    If it is, you need to be really careful with disease and hygiene. Distemper and kennel cough are very bad problems and infected dogs need to be put down.
    There are other diseases too that are prevalent in some pounds etc.
    The DSPCA kennels were kept as clean as they could possibly be but lots of animals got distemper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

You will need a license. Everybody who keeps more then 5 dogs, even if it's private, should have a kennel license. Further you will need a seperate septic tank for the kennels. If you have to build kennels you will need planning permission. If you have neighbours they might object because of the noise (I would)

The kennels need to be spacious with an outdoor run and indoor sleeping area. Every kennel needs a heater and concrete flooring, not tiled as this can be slippery. And you will need a large area where you can walk the dogs free of the lead. A few acres of good fenced land would be great. With good fenced I mean higher then 1.8M.
    Make different size kennels to accomodate all kind of size dogs. An Irish Wolfhound needs an enormeous kennel, but a cairn terrier can do with a smaller one.

Never board dogs without proof of vaccinations incl vacination against Kennel Cough. A dog dying of this is very rare. It normally goes aways withing 21 days without any medication needed. Beware that vaccination doesn't mean that the dog can't get it.

In regard of Distemper. Ask your vet. I think it is not very common anymore that dogs have this. I haven't heard of it and know quite some dog kennel owners.

Make sure you have one or two isolation kennels for dogs that get sick during the stay at the kennels. This can always happens and might not be your fault.

Hope this is of any use. Good luck with your adventure.

(PS. Don't forget that running a kennel means a lot of time, hardly any holidays and open over the bankholidays ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

pwd wrote:
    Distemper and kennel cough are very bad problems and infected dogs need to be put down.

Distemper is a bad disease but luckily there are not many reports of cases in Ireland. In all cases yes the dog would have to be put to sleep.

As for kennel cough alot of dogs that go into kennels get it and you certainly do not have to have them put to sleep. A course of antibiotics some probiotic yogurt with some honey mixed in to sooth the throat helps alot. ALL good kennels require that every dog that comes into their kennels is vaccinated against kennel cough and it has to be signed off on by a vet. It was to be given at least 48 hours before entering the kennels. It doesn't stop them picking up kennel cough as there are so many strains of it but it prevents them from getting a bad dose of it.

There are alot of brilliant kennels that are out there and alot of terrible ones, I would suggest go visit a few and have a look around and get a feel of their set up. Not sure where you are but the Kennel Club in Kildare is lovely as is Best Kennels in Naul, Co. Dublin/Meath. Alot of people who have kennels also if they have the land build a cattery as in this day and age alot of people have both a cat and a dog and it is so much easier to have them boarding at the same place.

Also make sure that you have a great vet that you can call on any time or day in case an animal get sick.

Decide if you are going to provide a good quality of food and a variety of food.

Also if you are prepared to take on slightly older dogs or dogs that are on medication and if so that you are comfortable giving the medication to the dogs while the owners are aware.

Maybe get a Disclaimer signed by all owners, that you cannot be held response for the loss etc of a pet especially if they are elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

I would personally never board my cats where they also have dogs for boarding, and most of the cat- and dogs owners think the same. I speak from experience as we run a cattery and our clients are comming esspecially to us because we are a cats only boarding kennel. Most of our clienst also have dogs, but they go somewhere else.
    Having cats and dogs living together doesn't mean that a cats likes the sound of not familiar barking dogs close by. And you can't get around the barking. Our friends board between 30-40 dogs and tjee, they make a hell of a noise, so make up your mind I would suggest. It's either dogs, or it is cats. Mind you, you can't earn a living from only cats. You can from only dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

It would cost a good few thousand to set it up to have a concrete surface, heating if choosing to have a heated indoor section. Runs fencing works but runs are safer and they can go from 300 to 500 or more each. I think you may need a general licence, planning permission I think as well if you have neighbours near by they would complain about the noise.

Time would never be your own as well you have to be there at xmas, easter etc these are the times when you will do the most buisness. Very hard to have holidays because there is always going to be residence there, also you would need someone to be able to take over should you need to get to the vets with a dog esp. if you have people calling to you at the same time.
    It's a very big commitment but of course is do able. I would suggest starting small though and also some fenced off grassed pens for dogs to run in esp. for the high energy dogs. Also you would need something like that when cleaning out kennels daily to have somewhere to put the dog.

Access to a hose and power washer and good drainage is essential otherwise it would be a misery trying to clean them out.

Log on to irishanimals.ie or petsireland there are lots on there that work with rescues so may have a better idea of how you build and set up a kennel type scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Hi All,
    thank you all for your advice so far, As it stands now, i have being in touch with the ispca, the and have visited numberous kennels, so good and some not so good, I live in a rural setting so noone to bother with the noise, i am using exsisting buildings on my property so planning is not a problem, however i am meeting with council next week, just to make sure they are happy with everything, I have done all the pricing of materials needed, and it seems to coming inside my budget so far, So am hopefull,
    Thanks again to all,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 danny555

So crazymonkey did You ever get around to setting up the kennels? Hows it going for you? If you did set up I dont think this summer is a good year to test the water . I know some1 with kennels and she said a lot of people that were taking Irish holidays cancled at the last min on account of the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sidewalk.

Hey guys jsut want to put the message out there that there is an amazing boarding kennels in the south of ireland in Cork..Well wya outside cork in the country!Its so amzing ive gotta tell you the people there are very genuine are realy caring about there animals its just amazing.if u are ever worried about leaving your dog in kennels this is the place to put your dog .you need not be worried.dogs are given one one time with th staff so they get plenty of attention taking for walks twice a day areound a huge field They have had rescue dogs in there too so they no what to deal with.Top quialty food is fed 70 euros a bag ..This place is amzing..Under ground heating all wallas and floors are sealed..Im tell ya its cleaner than a hospital..Its well worth checkin it out.

Hedgerow Cattery & Kennels,
    Inch, Killeagh Co. Cork
    Phone: 024-95620/087 8128250

They also do cats aslo so its bascially kennels and Cattery!Same treatment with the cats apart from the walkin.Lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rodempsey

Personally i had the worst experience with this place when our dog was picked up after a few weeks stay he was covered in urine and his personal belongings had to be thrown out. he had to be dropped of at the groomers on the way home as the smell off him was unbearable and when he arrived to the groomers she was disgusted with the way he had be taken care of. she said that he had flea's and all his coat had to be shaven off. after a three week holiday it was ruined coming home to our dog that had mistreated. he has to go back to the groomers when his furr grows back to get the rest of the urine stains shaved off as it couldnt be washed off. dont always believe its so good when you dont know how there really being treated while your not around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

rodempsey wrote: »
    Personally i had the worst experience with this place when our dog was picked up after a few weeks stay he was covered in urine and his personal belongings had to be thrown out. he had to be dropped of at the groomers on the way home as the smell off him was unbearable and when he arrived to the groomers she was disgusted with the way he had be taken care of. she said that he had flea's and all his coat had to be shaven off. after a three week holiday it was ruined coming home to our dog that had mistreated. he has to go back to the groomers when his furr grows back to get the rest of the urine stains shaved off as it couldnt be washed off. dont always believe its so good when you dont know how there really being treated while your not around.

I can't understand why someone would do that, why mistreat an animal when you're whole selling point is caring for animals?
    Is your pooch back to himself now or is he still out of sorts?

Thankfully (keeping fingers crossed) I have friends that have dogs & have no problem taking my man when we are away, & I return the favour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement