Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyeliner tips

• 20-04-2007 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Hi, this is a bit embarrassing but I need some eyeliner tips! It looks ridiculous on me at the moment but maybe I'm just applying it wrong. Granted, I haven't had much practice, as I don't wear makeup on a daily basis - only when I'm going out on the weekend maybe.

I have a black MaxFactor eyeliner pencil and it just looks stupid on me. Look like I have a black eye or something! i need help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

put it on the rim thats between your eyeball and bottom eyelashes.. not on your eyelid if its a pencil.. hope that helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you put it ALL around your eye, it can look a bit ridiculous!

Try just the outer edge of the top lid.
    Or the bottom lid, inside of your eye up to the point where
    your lashes grow on the top lid.

When I wear eyeliner, I only put it on the top lid. I don't put it above the lashes, I try putting it where the base of the lashes are so it's more subtle. It's difficult to get it so low but looks better. If I want it on the bottom at all, I'll only do the outer corners, not the whole bottom part. Don't put it all around your eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Perhaps the colour isn't right for you, black eyeliner can look too severe on some people, try a navy or brown pencil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

For the top of the eye i'd normally use a black liquid eyeliner. i keep it as thin and as close to the lid as possible and don't draw it on the whole way arcoss just about 3/4's of the way. I ran out of liquid eyeliner but i've just been using black eyeshadow and drawing it on with a really thin slanted brush.

for the bottom, i'd use either a charcoal grey or bluey navy kohl, i don't put it on the actual rim as this can make your eye appear smaller and can block your tear duct. I put it just under the lashes, again as close as possible but not a really thin line coz then it looks like you've drawn iton witha pen. I'd only put it half way across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Maybe you've got one that smudges too easily? It'll take awhile to master, just keep trying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i wear eyeshadow everyday and i always brush some of the darker colour under my eye, it makes the eye liner blend a lot easier, maybe you should try that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

This might sound stupid but go onto youtube and type in eyeliner. You'll see tutorials from people showing you how to apply it. Quite helpful IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

That last post about youtube just reminded me of this:

http://www.videojug.com/search/eyeliner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Thanks I'll give the videos a look and see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

As another poster said, maybe black is too harsh on you. I only wear black on nights out, its too harsh on me during the day so i switched to brown.

Try to buy an eyeliner with one of those smudgers at the end, there really handy or just use a q-tip to smudge the line and give a softer look.

Takes a while to get used to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hotlips_h

Go all along your top lid from the inside to the outside corner, staying as close to the base of the lashes as possible.
    On the lower lid, just go from the outside corner to a third of the way in. Do not go all the way in, just as bluewolf said.
    The line on the lower lid should not be as heavy as that on the top.
    Rather than a pencil, you might want to try using an eyeliner brush with a dark brown or grey eyeshadow.
    I'd second using a dark brown or grey rather than black.
    And remember, err on the side of caution. It's always easy to add more but a real pain to remove if you overdo it at any stage.
    And don't forget a bit of mascara afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

There are a lot of people who eyeliner just looks too harsh on. Personally I never wear it, and I know a lot of my friends don't but instead just leave it at eyeshadow and mascara.
    If you have small eyes also dark eyeliner can make them look a lot smaller, whereas mascara and eyeshadow both open them up.
    However practice does make perfect! Keep trying and youll probably get it looking great!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Use it on the lids closer to the eye than the eyelashes, you'll flinch less as time goes on. if you use too much just smudge it away and stuff. With darker eyeshadow to help you. Mmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

How and where are you applying it at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Use it on the lids closer to the eye than the eyelashes, you'll flinch less as time goes on. if you use too much just smudge it away and stuff. With darker eyeshadow to help you. Mmm

Its creepy how you know that!:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It is isn't it. There's something I need to tell you, I look different from when you saw me last. :P
    Nah, I just help my girlfriend because I am really good with girls eyes. I have most certainly never tried it on me, oh no, never, no siree.

Miss Fluff wrote:
    How and where are you applying it at the moment?

I have a black kohl pencil and I apply it to the bottom lid just under the lashes and I can get it even without andy gaps but it just looks ridiculous. I don't know how on earth to apply it to the top lid because I have quite long lashes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I have a black kohl pencil and I apply it to the bottom lid just under the lashes and I can get it even without andy gaps but it just looks ridiculous. I don't know how on earth to apply it to the top lid because I have quite long lashes.
    You want one with a smudger on the other end. I have a no.7 one from Boots with a smudger. You rub the line a bit after you apply and it fills all the gaps.
    I've been wearing eyeliner every day for about 7 years, pencil, gel and liquid. You just have to keep practising til you perfect it. You can correct small mistakes with a Qtip. Worse mistakes can be corrected with a Qtip dipped in eyemakeup remover.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of getting liquid eyeliner and just applying it to the top lid ad then lashing on mascara. I saw it on a couple of girls with brown eyes and it really suits, and I have brown eyes myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭cathald

Hi

Yes, use a liquid liner for the top of your eyes and a really, really thin pencil at the bottom of your eyes....a little thick at the top helps
    also , you could choose colours to match your clothes or your mood!!!:D

Advertisement