Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expanded Clay v Peat Free Mulch

Options
  • 20-04-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Reference an earlier post since closed!!

How could anyone justify importing a clay product from Germany as an alternative to a Peat-free mulch. The latter is preferred on environmental grounds (protection of bogland).

But to seriously expect a gardener/landscaper to choose a product transported by road to Ireland as a better environmental alternative is 'Funny logic' in my opinion.

Expanded clay is not a sensible alternative to peat-free mulch, it is an alternative to mulch (irrespective of type) and that's a different proposition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Hi Easy Green if you are still here!
    Light Weight Aggregate or Expanded Clay is very popular in Scandinavia under concrete floors 250mm gives a U-value of 0.25 and is perfect for green roofs where they grow plants on a flat roof.
    Is this product available in bulk in Ireland? We are a building company that would have use for this product if it was available at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I seen this product being used as floor insulation on a "Grand Designs" project recently although they hardly paid it much attention. I was wondering what it was until Easy Greens thread came up explaining about "Expanded Clay".

It seemd like a very easy to install product but I cant understand one thing. Surely this product would suck up water like a sponge? Any moisture in your build would then end up in your floor insulation, no? Easy Green, I think, mentioned that they were porus but maybe not, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

squire1 wrote:
    I seen this product being used as floor insulation on a "Grand Designs" project recently although they hardly paid it much attention. I was wondering what it was until Easy Greens thread came up explaining about "Expanded Clay".

It seemd like a very easy to install product but I cant understand one thing. Surely this product would suck up water like a sponge? Any moisture in your build would then end up in your floor insulation, no? Easy Green, I think, mentioned that they were porus but maybe not, anyone know?

It is coated in silicone to make it waterproof when used under concrete.

Advertisement