Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Eircom connection speed

Options
  • 20-04-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I'm on Eircom's 3Mbit package,but usually my modem connects only with 1.2-1.8 Mbit (Ive seen 500-600k too :eek: ).I'm close to the exchange and the line isn't noisy at all.
    So after a month I've decided to ring the tech support to complain...and now comes the funny part:
    When I dail their number (1890260260) and listening the automated menu options my modem drops the connection for 10-15 seconds and reconnects with 3Mbit :confused: For a day or two I'm connecting with 3Mbit again,then it drops back to slower speeds again.Then comes the above mentioned method and voila 3Mbit again :)
    Strange isn't it ;) ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Same thing happened to me. I rang them to complain about the terrible download times i was getting and did a speed test when they asked and it was going at full speed. I felt embarrassed that the one time i phone them my connection was perfect. That was a week ago. Now i'm beginning to wonder as my connection speed is rubbish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Some weird thing is going on with their service:
    I was away for two weeks on holidays,so I've switched off the modem.
    Got back 3 days ago and I couldn't connect faster than 500k :eek:
    Rang the magic number and tadaa...
    I wonder if that's possbile to setup an automated service like that.
    But it isn't a coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Its more likely that a temporary increase in line noise caused you to disconnect and resync at a lower speed. You ring up, they reset your port at the exchange and it syncs back to the normal speed (As the noise/interference has passed).

Next time it slows down - restart your modem first and see - it should have the same effect.

I've tried to restart the modem several times (at least 200 times).Sometimes it's connects faster but maximum 1.8Mbit.I can't get the whole 3Mbit unless I ring Eircom's number.I've tried to ring other phone numbers but no luck (and my modem won't disconnect if I ring other numbers so itsn't line noise the cause of disconnection).Only with Eircom's tech support number and my modem always disconnects for that 15 secs resyncs with 3Mbit :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gibbon75 wrote:
    I've tried to restart the modem several times (at least 200 times).Sometimes it's connects faster but maximum 1.8Mbit.I can't get the whole 3Mbit unless I ring Eircom's number.I've tried to ring other phone numbers but no luck (and my modem won't disconnect if I ring other numbers so itsn't line noise the cause of disconnection).Only with Eircom's tech support number and my modem always disconnects for that 15 secs resyncs with 3Mbit :)

have you anything else connected into your phone line? Sky box etc?

What are you line stats? the eircom modem should tell you on the set up page in the form xx/yy?

It is quite possible that your line isnt up to the 3Mb speed and it doesn't have to be noisy for that to happen.

• Advertisement

Nothing else is connected to the line.
    The line can handle the 3Mbit.When I've signed up with Eircom I was always connected with 3072/384 (line attenuation 29/12db) in the first week.Then suddenly the modem started to sync with only 2600/384 then 1800/384 and so on.I've rebooted the modem and sometimes I saw some improvement,sometimes didn't.
    But I still can't explain the phonecall thing.And the same thing happened to Thrill...
    As I said it happens EVERY time I ring Eircom,and NEVER happens with other numbers :confused:
    When I ring the Eircom number and I'm on the modem setup page and I'm able to see that the modem resyncs during the call and suddenly the 3072/384 connection is back.

gibbon75 wrote:
    Nothing else is connected to the line.
    The line can handle the 3Mbit.When I've signed up with Eircom I was always connected with 3072/384 (line attenuation 29/12db) in the first week.Then suddenly the modem started to sync with only 2600/384 then 1800/384 and so on.I've rebooted the modem and sometimes I saw some improvement,sometimes didn't.
    But I still can't explain the phonecall thing.And the same thing happened to Thrill...
    As I said it happens EVERY time I ring Eircom,and NEVER happens with other numbers :confused:
    When I ring the Eircom number and I'm on the modem setup page and I'm able to see that the modem resyncs during the call and suddenly the 3072/384 connection is back.

If you read Thrill's post again its not the same thing at least I dont thinks so anyways! Have you actually asked Eircom to look at the line?

At first I did the same thing as Thrill:
    I rang Eircom and the guy told me to run the speed test (he seemed very positive that my download speed will be ok...),so I felt the same way as Thrill (a bit stupid :) )
    They said my line and my stats are OK.I live in a fairly new house and the whole area is new,so I presume the lines aren't too old either.
    Anyways my feeling is that Eircom caps the connection speed after every few days to see if they can get away with it.When you ring their tech support the modem suddenly resyncs.That's a fact.Most users won't notice this speed drop and the average user never checks the modem settings.
    Maybe it's a "conspiration theory" only :)
    But before I moved into this house I was with Smart for more than a year without any problems.

But at the end of the day the Eircom tech support works :D
    It takes only 15 secs to solve all your speed problems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭marktsang

But at the end of the day the Eircom tech support works
    It takes only 15 secs to solve all your speed problems

yes pat on the back for fixing the problem that they are causing in the first place.......

• Advertisement

marktsang wrote:
    yes pat on the back for fixing the problem that they are causing in the first place.......

I know :mad:
    I miss my broadband from Smart.My pings are double/triple now when playing BF2.

I phoned eircom but that trick didn't work for me. They said that they have logged the fault and will get their engineer to check it out.

Pinging google.com [64.233.167.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=240
    Reply from 64.233.167.99: bytes=32 time=115ms TTL=240
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.233.167.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 115ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 115ms

Pinging google.com [64.233.187.99] with 1472 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.233.187.99:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Maybe I'm the only one out there with this strange thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

wierd stuff happening on eircom; like for the past few days when i goto yahoo or google its in german (thinks im in germany) it does seem a bit slow aswell.

Blitz wrote:
    wierd stuff happening on eircom; like for the past few days when i goto yahoo or google its in german (thinks im in germany) it does seem a bit slow aswell.

Check here where you are!

http://internetfrog.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

IP Location:
    ( ) ,

Latitude/longitude:
    ° LATITUDE and ° LONGITUDE
    Map This Location

Connecting to the Internet through:

Organization:

^LOL

^^^ Same here.

Strange! I get:

IP Location:
    IE(IE) Ireland,
    Dublin,

Latitude/longitude:
    53.3331° LATITUDE and -6.2489° LONGITUDE
    Map This Location

Smart Telecom Holdings

I'm with eircombb. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I tried it with both firefox and ie7. No joy.

I'm on the 2mb deal

latest speed test....

speedtest1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    Check here where you are!

http://internetfrog.com/

I get:
    IP Location:
    (IE) Ireland,
    Dublin,

Latitude/longitude:
    53.3331° LATITUDE and -6.2489° LONGITUDE
    Map This Location

POSTGEM

Organization:
    POSTGEM

Who the fcuk are POSTGEM?
    I'm with BT.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    I get:

Who the fcuk are POSTGEM?
    I'm with BT.

The wonders of Google:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1999_Nov_5/ai_57287433

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Thats odd, I'm in south Dublin with Digiweb and its telling me i'm in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Blowfish wrote:
    Thats odd, I'm in south Dublin with Digiweb and its telling me i'm in Louth.

That is where digiweb have their offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dub45 wrote:
    Aye. I Googled after posting and found them but up until recently it always said my ISP was either "Internet Services Ireland" or "IOL".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭meathman 007

i got 2mb eircom installed last week. In general im very happy with it. But when i connect wirelessly through my laptop the connection regularly drops (completely goes) and comes back to normal after about 20 seconds or/and i repair the connection. As far as i know this does not happen when i connect the laptop to the eircom modem directly through an ethernet cable. - i presume it the fault of the modem......?

This is what i got this morning wirelessly....
    116789009.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

speedtestiezg4.jpg

i got 2mb eircom installed last week. In general im very happy with it. But when i connect wirelessly through my laptop the connection regularly drops (completely goes) and comes back to normal after about 20 seconds or/and i repair the connection. As far as i know this does not happen when i connect the laptop to the eircom modem directly through an ethernet cable. - i presume it the fault of the modem......?

This is what i got this morning wirelessly....
    116789009.png

Not necessarily the modem - what wireless card is your laptop using? Have you checked for any updated drivers for the wireless card? Have you checked to see if any of your neighbours have a wireless network on the same channel that might be interfering? Might be worth changing the channel anyways - If you download netstumbler it will show you any nearby networks.
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Have you used the laptop wirelessly successfully elsewhere>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There is definetly something wrong today, speedtest is giving me very low results (I'm on Eircom 3 MB):

117471092.png

Internet Frog is of no opinion as to where I am:
    IP Location:
    ( ) ,

Latitude/longitude:
    ° LATITUDE and ° LONGITUDE
    Map This Location

Organization:

Google.com redirects me to google.de as it happens for Blitz.

And my itunes episode which usualy is down in about 25 minutes is now going into the 2nd hour.

After month of no problems, something is up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

thrill wrote:
    I'm with eircombb. Maybe that has something to do with it.

I tried it with both firefox and ie7. No joy.

I'm on the 2mb deal

latest speed test....

speedtest1.jpg

I'm on the 2Meg deal as well and I've had crap service for over a week now.
    My download speed has fluctuated from 230kbps to 340kbps with a QOS of roughly 20-odd percent. Was I over my download limit? Was there planned works going on that was due to finish soon?

I rang their "support" line and asked what the story was. I was asked to go to http://home.eircom.net/speedtest and so I did and it told me I had a download speed of nearly my 2Meg deal. I ran two other tests just after that from internetfrog.com and http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php as well and those results were telling me I still had crap 230 kbps download speed. What did I learn here?, don't trust eircoms speed test - it tells you what your deal is - not your actual speed!

While talking to them I asked what the reason for that was, telling them that I was a sysadmin for another isp (true actually but not in the isp business as of last year) running my own tests and the guy had to ask his manager - who put me on hold for 3 minutes and hey presto, my line improved by the time he got back on to me. He asked me to run the test again and when I did, I had almost the full 2Meg on all tests. He seemed to take it easy then and say some rubbish about temporary problem but then I told him that while any value QOS below 97% is a joke for an ISP, I was still getting 22%!

He then said that there was work being done in my area and I asked him how long this was going on, was there a part of their site that could inform me of these planned works, when would they likely be finished etc, etc...
    Every single question was greeted by an "I'm afraid I cannot guarantee dates or times sir, we cannot answer your question at this time."

No help whatso-bloody-ever!

That was twenty minutes ago and my service is back to the same crap level again....

Anyone know of how to escalate this to someone who gives a sh*t?

Advertisement