Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackberry (Pearl) questions

• 20-04-2007 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm tempted to get a new Blackberry Pearl. In the shop today the cost appears to be just under €25 for the e-mail service. Just a couple of questions. (It would be Vodafone)
    1. Do e-mails get pushed to your mobile immediately on arrival or what is the process?
    2. Can you have 2 different accounts feeding the phone (ie) hotmail and work mail for eg
    3. Does it cost any extra to receive / send mails from abroad, or is this included in the €25
    4. What is the WAP/Web service like - for eg does it cost any more to visit a PDA website on your blackberry than it would surfing through WAP on your regular mobile?
    5. Would the Pearl support additional software? Saw in some magazine that some mobiles/PDAs can support Google Earth as well as some GPS software.

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

1. Emails come in immediately, they show up on my BB before my PC
    2. I have 3 running on mine at the minute, you can have upto 10
    3. When broad you do pay GPRS costs
    4. As long as you use the BB browser all browsing is covered under the fixed cost (it is on O2 anyways)
    5. Don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but don't you have to pay extra to get POP access/mail forwarding on Hotmail? This of course is not the BlackBerry's fault, and rather is an attempt by Microsoft to grab some extra money from their users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers guys

That definitely would be a spanner in the works about hotmail - must look into that further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

i heard something about hotmail also , but I dont know for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Urban_Weigl is correct
    Check out http://join.msn.com/hotmailplus/overview
    When you try to add a hotmail account in your Blackberry setup, you get the following message

Access to Hotmail™ now requires a subscription e-mail account, you must first enable Outlook or Outlook Express access within Hotmail.
    To enable Outlook or Outlook Express access within Hotmail, click here to open Hotmail's support page and follow the instructions. Once you have enabled Outlook or Outlook Express access to your Hotmail account, return to this page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

TheBazman wrote:
    Hi folks

I'm tempted to get a new Blackberry Pearl. In the shop today the cost appears to be just under €25 for the e-mail service. Just a couple of questions. (It would be Vodafone)
    1. Do e-mails get pushed to your mobile immediately on arrival or what is the process?

The email is sent to your mail account's server and is picked up from there by Blackberry
    2. Can you have 2 different accounts feeding the phone (ie) hotmail and work mail for eg

On O2mail (O2's Blackberry site) you can have up to 10 email accounts.

3. Does it cost any extra to receive / send mails from abroad, or is this included in the €25

Email is a global function so it does not matter where the mail originated - the charge depends on where the recipient is (In home network / roaming)
    4. What is the WAP/Web service like - for eg does it cost any more to visit a PDA website on your blackberry than it would surfing through WAP on your regular mobile?

With O2 you can get unlimited Emails to and from the device + unlimited WAP browsing for €20 per month Ex Vat
    5. Would the Pearl support additional software? Saw in some magazine that some mobiles/PDAs can support Google Earth as well as some GPS software.

In theory yes - but in theory communism worked!! :D

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ncoi

The BB 8800 has Built-in GPS navigation with BlackBerry maps:) not sure how good it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 westside

does anyone know if I buy a second hand BB on ebay will i have problems hooking it up to my work email. A seller told me that a BB could not be reregistered once the PIN has been used. I dont believe this to be true but am only learning about BB's at the moment. ANy advice appreciated

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You can certainly register PINs that have already been used with different users (we do it all the time for our loan pool) but the issue to bear in mind is that the device may be locked or indeed reported stolen and thus on a banlist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

westside wrote:
    A seller told me that a BB could not be reregistered once the PIN has been used.

The BB PIN can be registered if it has already been used BUT the Pin has to be Deregistered from the initial account first.

As Email is an international form of communication and the mails are sent to the BB PIN NOT the Phone number the device PIN can only be registered and active for one user at a time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement