Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat passport question

Options
  • 20-04-2007 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be taking my 2 year old cat to Germany later this year on a one way trip. Can anyone tell me what I need to do in regards shots , passport or paperwork etc ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine you probably wouldn't have to go through the whole Pet's Passport rigmarole. Have a look on the Dept. of Agriculture website, and also on the UK's equivalent website http://www.defra.gov.uk/. I don't think cats in Germany need to be rabies vaccinated but I could be wrong. If you call anybody in the Dept. of Ag. make sure they know it's a one-way journey and that you don't intend returning to Ireland with the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

you will need vaccinations up to date and documentations as proof of this. The cat may need a passport or be put into quarantine. If you cannot get information from the department of agriculture the next place would be to ring your local vet clinic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The local vet doesn't know, the department of agriculture doesn't know the difference between their arse and their elbow, let alone be able to tell me what to do with my cat.

I might just speak to the customs people in Germany, they'll probably know what a cat is.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

As far as I can tell, under new EU rules, the cat will need a pet passport (incl. microchip requirement etc.) & proof of rabies vaccination (not less than 30 days before travel and no longer than 12 months ago).
    Info from the horse's mouth :D i.e. the German Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection :Dhttp://www.bmelv.de/cln_044/nn_1083190/EN/08-AnimalWelfare/PetTravel/PetPassport.html__nnn=true

Opps just saw that Rachel provided the same link, great minds etc ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

maybe do a search for it in google and tick pages from ireland only. I found this on the ISPCA site. here's the link:
    http://www.ispca.ie/content/pet-passports.html
    There are links on the right including info for the vet and stuff. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Thanks for all the links guys. My missus spoke to the german deparment of agriculture and then we spoke to the vet here.

The passport has been applied for and we should get it soon. I post a pic of it when it arrives.

Advertisement