Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

applied maths-linear motion q.

Options
  • 20-04-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

obvioulsy im neglecting something really obvious an this is prob a simple question.. but 2000 Q.1 (b) (i)

When do da cars meet?

Well if after 40 s they're both finished accelerating an both are moving at constant speed 25m/s, and One Car is 250m ahead. Does that not mean that they'll never meet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

well, apparently it can never be said enough...

read the question

the second car is traveling in the opposite direction, from q to p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

oh god, dats what a week of studyin for the oral would do to ya.. thanks, spent ages lookin at it and just never saw it. Thanks again.

Any chance you know what to do 99 Q.1 (a) (ii)
    the power bit. i got the 744N force. Do you assume the car is starting from rest at bottom of hill and get time to get to that speed an them work out power or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

heh, i had to check skoool.ie for a def of power myself but anyway...

P=Tv where T is the tractive force

force right - forces left = mass * acceleration right
    therefore force right (or T even) = mass*acceleration + const resistance + weight acting downhill/left
    T = 1500*0.1 + 1500*0.2 + 1500g*1/50
    T = 1500(0.3+g/50)
    T = 744 N

therefore, when v=20 P = 744*20 = 14880 W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Shox wrote:
    Do you assume

You don't assume anything in applied maths. Very common mistake.

Advertisement