Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM Skimming in the North East.

• 20-04-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭

Earlier this week, for the second time in 3 months now, I have come across an ATM machine in the north east region that has had skimming equipment attached to it. The feckers put a tiny little camera in the rim of the ATM machine that points down over the keypad itself, so remember to keep wary and make sure you check EVERYWHERE on the machines before you use them. This camera would be very hard to spot unless you are looking for it.

As a note, I did contact the banks security centre who dealt with the situation and switched the machine off, so the one I seen didnt rip anyone else off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It happened in Oldcastle a few weeks ago, with one of those skimmer devices. It was dealt with fairly promptly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Can you not tell us where this happened to prevent it happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Yeah, i'm interested to know where it was.

I always check myself and they're fairly easy to spot if you know what you're looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Yes please post the name of where this skimming machine was.
    Very interested to know, i always cover the keypad with my hand when typing in my pin number now.
    A friend of mine got conned out of 450 euro at the ATM machine in Donabate a few months ago, the bank repaid him eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Happened in a petrol station ATM on the Dublin road in Navan about six months ago... But i think it was spotted straight away from what im told.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody looking for advice check out This thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Can you not tell us where this happened to prevent it happening again.

Well, the one I spotted was as I drove through Trim. I stopped at the AIB on the main street, and it was this machine that was rigged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

Luckily ive never come across these....but ill keep a better eye out now. I usually try to use the atm inside the bank whenever possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dub13 wrote:
    Anybody looking for advice check out This thread.

some clever ideas and some technology used there, its actually a bit scary to think what they can do.

i try to always use the small atms inside shops or if not then one with a camera pointing at it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

draffodx wrote:
    i try to always use the small atms inside shops or if not then one with a camera pointing at it

Even they are not as safe as you would think...Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement