Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat Fugitive

• 20-04-2007 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Anyone try catch him today .. The town was buzzing i have never seen anything like it in my life ... People asking everyone ..:D :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Me and a few friends made a day out of it, buyt had no luck. My guess is that he was only released onto the streets before he was caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Somone better explain this for an old person.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Beat FM run a competition called 'Catch the Beat 102/103 Fugitive'. Basically, theres a guy somewhere in the south east (the counties that Beat serves) and he rings in once every hour or so and gives a clue to where he is. Today was the last day of it (been going on for weeks now) and he was in Waterford City Centre - prize money was €4000. You only win if you ask him 'Are you the beat 102 103 fugitive?'. Of course you arent given a description so you ask anyone you can.

I was in town myself with a friend when we saw all the commotion in City Square - hundreds of people there - utter madness but sure tis all great craic I suppose. Easy money.

I agree with Minto though, I think they drag it on a bit to fill up the shows on the radio and only send him out onto the street when they want him to be caught. The DJ really fecked up today when he said 'ok we'll have another clue in an hour.........oh....err....If he's not caught that is' and him and the producer started laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

yeh i agree, think i heard he was dressed as a garda today

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yeh i agree, think i heard he was dressed as a garda today

Doub it. Would be pretty foolish!

They do drag it on though, as I was just a miniute to late catching him once. The phone call you all here of the dude who wins is pre-recorded and not mentioned until a good while later. The DJ keeps saying he is at large, even though he knows he was caught and has a phone call to play.

On that day, the Beat Fugitive was to leave another clue according to the DJ but it was never made and all Beat Cars were back in base a short while after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

So did anybody take the €4000? If so who as the lucky sod?

I heard the chopper went to land at the Woodlands Hotel last week or during this week and had to pull away again as the scavengers came outta nowhere and were underneath it mad to get at the so called fugitive, hence the chopper couldn't land!:D

Wonder will Beat's music schedule change now that it has been sold (along with WLR)? Mightn't be any harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

i knew somebody who but a brown envelope on the street with beat fm on it ,inside that was another envelope with 4000 euro written on a smaller envelope.A young one picked it up, i found it she cried came over to chap are you the fugitive,only a joke love he said:) :)
    She didn,t find it funny,absolutely hilarious :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

ah so thats what all that commotion was yesterday, couldnt move for the people in city square

:D

Wanty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I was asked a couple of times, said yes each time.

He was eventually found, after been seen but not asked by thousands, in Red Square, dressed as a Guard. And the chap with the gaul to ask? Had to be a child of course. A child now 4 grand richer.

Fair play to Beat, it was a good promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

He was eventually found, after been seen but not asked by thousands, in Red Square, dressed as a Guard. And the chap with the gaul to ask? Had to be a child of course. A child now 4 grand richer.

I saw the guy walk through Red Square and didn't ask him purely because I thought he would have been asked about a hundred times already. The poor Gardaí standing outside City Square though - they were pretty much raped when they announced that he was wearing a Gardaí outfit!

Fantastic promotion though and I can't wait until next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isnt it a bit dodgy having him dressed as a cop? I think its amusing, and I dont think many would have asked until the clue came out but im sure normal Gardai were being terrorised with questions and whos to say someone doesnt run to the fugitive looking for help? :P

Anyway, is this planned for next uear aswel or something Adam?

The news guy was about to say the whole "Home of the beat fugitive" line today after the news but quickly corrected himself. Twas very amusing.

Good promotion all around and im sure it lifted ratings fairly high and also promoted the station as a whole.

merlante; According to reports on Beat, there will no changes to them. However, id welcome a shake up on WLR. Its a shameful local station imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Have to agree was a good promotion, but the idea came from a station in the UK which dose it every year.
    And according to Beat there will be no changes to them, oh very wrong, major shake up on the way, and about WLR, I’ve heard worse local stations its a well run station, which has a lot more listeners than Beat. And Beat is the station that’s loosing a lot of money every year. So things are not looking so good there im afraid:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The fact he was dressed as a guard makes me believe even more so that he was only out in public a few minutes before he was caught...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

And according to Beat there will be no changes to them, oh very wrong, major shake up on the way, and about WLR, I’ve heard worse local stations its a well run station, which has a lot more listeners than Beat. And Beat is the station that’s loosing a lot of money every year. So things are not looking so good there im afraid:)

What gets me is that Deise AM is repeated on WLR on the night shift along with the Beat Breakfast Show on Beat respectively.

Surely they could give the airwaves at these times to something a little more experimentative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Advertising revenue protection is all those repeats serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Jor

I wonder if there is anyone actually in the broadcasting centre overnight.
    After their license was renewed, they axed the overnight DJ.
    I was working nights a few weeks ago and after the repeat of Deise AM, they just play music for the night. But all we heard this night was the occasional WLR jingle and then silence.:o Either someone forgot to press a button or a machine failed. But there was no-one there to fix it.:rolleyes:
    Recently, the moved the repeat back from 1am to midnight.
    Now, with the buyout, this new crowd will probably want to cut costs more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Have to agree was a good promotion, but the idea came from a station in the UK which dose it every year.

98FM in Dublin were doing it the last 2 or 3 years as well. :)

At the end of the day lads its a business, its going to cost money to have a dj there during the night, and not many listeners that hour of the night and the reason those breakfast shows are repeated during the night are for people that work nights, that wouldn’t get a chance to hear them during the day:) computers do crash and dose the software they use radio mantion and myriad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

There is a chap who used to DJ for WLR. We'll give him the initials PD. (coincedentally those are his real initials). He was responsible for doing a night shift one night and had a girl and a bottle of hooch in the studio with him. It was in the days of the record and sometime during the night all that could be heard was that familar sound of a finished record, revoving and revolving...

The same guy used to be pissed a lot doing his show and a good few times used to talk, and often commentate over songs.

I have to admit that I don't listen to the radio much, mostly because most of the DJs are inoffensive to the point of being robotic. The most popular djs are the ones that actually seem to be talking to the people rather than the microphone. There's not many better than Will Leahy on 2fm in my opinion (Michael Cahill and Tom Dunne are two other great DJs) but that's a bit off topic I think.

I've done some producing work on WLR and it's a very bitchy environent to work in and if it wasn't for the sideline work (e.g. producing, outside broadcasts, adverts, DJing in clubs/parties etc) the radio staff really wouldn't be taking home that much money.

Have to agree with ya there, Money isnt good, but you would start off on about 23 to 24 g a year, then Beat is like an automated juke box, wouldnt blame the djs for sounding like they are talking to the mic, then some of the presenters the power goes to their head. ah if Beat was only had a decent rival:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tony_ire

2fm???!!!??? Michael Cahill?!?!

Must be jokin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Same promotion was done by a local radio station for me here in the US 2 years ago. Radio stations don't come up with these ideas, advertising and promotion companies do. Then they shop them around and sell the idea to different stations all over the world. That particular one was popular here as well, but I think it was $10k or $20k they gave away.

Would have agreed with you about 2fm a few months ago, a joke wouldnt be the word, but I think they are getting there, The new brekie show is not bad, very nice money to win:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

decies wrote:
    i knew somebody who but a brown envelope on the street with beat fm on it ,inside that was another envelope with 4000 euro written on a smaller envelope.A young one picked it up, i found it she cried came over to chap are you the fugitive,only a joke love he said:) :)
    i know her lol.she will never hear the end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

decies wrote:
    i know her lol.she will never hear the end of it

Advertisement