Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 20-04-2007 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

hello there
    getting a remington 597 semi auto
    what do you think
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'd say dont, based on my experience of them, they diodn't reach the standards of a 10/22 or a CZ semi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

Had a remi semi auto and it was ****e. 10-22 is the way to go, much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Dont like em.

Were problems with the earlier ones s oif your buying one make sure that it will work. Also magazine problems only certain magazines feed reliably with them.

That said i think alot of people are getting them and having no problems they are also probably the only .17hmr semi that you will get in Ireland.

But and to me its a big but for the same money you will pick up a much better gun CZ 511 is a far superior rifle in every way to the remington, if you could find a brno or krico or anschutz they are also a hell of alot better and will cost around the same.

I would rate a remington 597 higher than a factory 10/22 picked up a 10/22 and felt like a childs toy didnt like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

fired a new one last week no problems with jamming
    spoke to a guy with a cz and a ruger and he said they all jam now and again
    have applied for the cert now anyway so i guess its too late
    cheers for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Anyone heard anything about those Walther G22s?
    Are they as rubbish as they look?

Edit: Saw one on shoot.ie so im assuming someone out there is buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

G22 is the biggest pile of ****e you'll buy you'll do well to find a worse gun out there on the irish market.

You name it they do it jam, misfire, foul up, horrible trigger etc.

And the worst of it is the base for the scope moves all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

G22 is the biggest pile of ****e you'll buy you'll do well to find a worse gun out there on the irish market.

You name it they do it jam, misfire, foul up, horrible trigger etc.

And the worst of it is the base for the scope moves all over the place.
    All of the above is true, but I'm very fond of mine and I have no intention of parting with it.
    Aside from being something of a hoot to play with on the plinking range (its natural environment, in my opinion), it's gloriously un-PC: it's a bullpup, it's black (and therefore 'eeeevil'), it's short, it's semi-automatic, and it's got 2 (:eek:) high capacity (10 round :rolleyes:) magazines.

I'm led to believe that the importation of new ones is currently being held up under some variation of the 'idontlikedalookodat' law, so don't expect them to be available in any numbers anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I would rate a remington 597 higher than a factory 10/22 picked up a 10/22 and felt like a childs toy didnt like it at all.

This based on anything other than just picking it up like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

boc121 wrote:
    what do you think

What're you going to be using it for? Just a question out of general interest as I've no expierence with semi rifles, prefer bolt actions myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I have one in .17hmr, (not available with the ruger) lovely to shoot very accurate, sometimes the magazine has problems feeding, and cleaning a autoloader can be a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement

Whatever you going to be using it for? Just a question out of general interest as I've no experience with semi rifles, prefer bolt actions myself.
    Practice and rabbits, i have a .223 Remington 700 but its to strong for rabbits and too expensive for practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

G22 looks a bit like a toy alright, are there any lefty 10/22s out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Have a remington 597 in .22 magnum. Heavy floating barrell varminter Laminate stock and it is a tack driver. 37 foxes accounted nov-end of march on the lamp (confirmed). The magazine is not the best it is supposed to hold 8 rounds, I only put 6 in it and no problem. Also use it on targets and on other vermin greys mags and rabbits. It hasn't jammed yet.

It drives me mad that in the states I could purchase a spare mag for 19.00 Dollars. Price here 53 Euro.

Best of Luck

cheers Cavan Shooter
    i was hoping for something positive
    and thanks lads for all the other advice
    good to get both sides

licence came through wed only 19 days
    got the gun yesterday put 250 rounds through it in the evening
    absolutely great crack pushed two cans up a field with it
    very accurate and as i said great fun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Quick turnaround on the cert, out of interest what caliber??

just a 22 put a scope on it this morning even better fun
    deadly accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

kowloon wrote:
    G22 looks a bit like a toy alright, are there any lefty 10/22s out there?

The g22 is readily available in left hand configuration , it was a large part of their advertising campaign for it. But if you're set on a 10/22 , the market out there is so huge you could nearly convert it all on aftermarket parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The g22 is readily available in left hand configuration ,
    Any G22 can be configured left/right with the parts already on the gun; you flip the charge handle, ejector, and port cover, if I recollect correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seamusgi4szw

Bought a 597, wish I hadn't. nuff said.
    Best of luck,

• Advertisement
Advertisement