Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing the Tomtom One to the windscreen

• 20-04-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I've spent the day getting used to the Tomtom one Europe and its a very nice bit of kit!

One problem though.. taking it back out of the car. The mounting kit sticks to the windscreen..no problem there, and the unit itself slots down over the plate on the mounting kit.

The trouble is.. taking it off! When you press the unit onto the mount fully, its next to impossible to remove again.

How do the Tomtom one owners here manage to take it out all the time when you're leaving the car?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

Yip I had the same problem as you.

Plus the Tomtom was too far away when it was on the windscreen, so I cut off that silly rubber piece on the mount and drilled a hole thru the little piece of plastic and screwed it onto my dash behind a unused switch.

So looks a lot better and is more secure and closer to hand.

Plus I have a little trick of getting it off the mount by:
    holding the unit in the palm of my left hand (fingers facing up at the back of Tomtom)
    and using my palm pushing mr Tomtom up with my palm
    and using my fingers behind as leverage.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

buildabong wrote:
    Yip I had the same problem as you.

Plus the Tomtom was too far away when it was on the windscreen, so I cut off that silly rubber piece on the mount and drilled a hole thru the little piece of plastic and screwed it onto my dash behind a unused switch.

So looks a lot better and is more secure and closer to hand.

Plus I have a little trick of getting it off the mount by:
    holding the unit in the palm of my left hand (fingers facing up at the back of Tomtom)
    and using my palm pushing mr Tomtom up with my palm
    and using my fingers behind as leverage.

Hope this helps :)

Amazing what ya learn on the net lol

I've figured out that if I just put in down onto the mount, say.. 80% of the way.. it stays put and it comes off easily.

The thoughts of drilling or screwing holes into my lovely new car are shocking!!

How do you mean you did it behind an unused button?

Next to my fog lights switch I have a "fake" button, basically piece of plastic that looks like a button. I unclipped it and found a screw, and blah blah blah ....

Cool thing is it looks like a professional installed it :D

Yea I wouldnt suggest just screwing it directly into the dash.
    I will take a photo tomorrow and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

buildabong wrote:
    Next to my fog lights switch I have a "fake" button, basically piece of plastic that looks like a button. I unclipped it and found a screw, and blah blah blah ....

Cool thing is it looks like a professional installed it :D

Yea I wouldnt suggest just screwing it directly into the dash.
    I will take a photo tomorrow and post.

Excellent! Thanks a lot.. Sounds perfect.

This aint my car but will give you an idea!!!
    brava.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement