Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Prem Acshun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

PHB wrote:
    Sorry, at what point did Chelsea have their entire first choice back 4 out?

I did say "kinda". They did have all their centre backs out injured.

Watching Essien play CB was mildly amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Things in favour of Chelsea: a fully fit squad, great run of form, machine-like wins, knowing what it takes to win a title, all players playing well.

Things in favour of Man Utd: Gary Neville (ie experience, proven winner) back soon; a fully fit back four in time for the Chelsea game (Chelsea's form drastically improved after Terry and Cech returned - will the return of Man U's first-choice defence be in time?); a manager who no doubt will be driving home to the players - more than ever - that every game is like a cup final from now on in (doubtless Mourinho is doing the same); a manager who has pretty much seen it all (Arsenal put together a similar run to Chelsea's in 2001 I think, West Ham costing Man U the title on the last day of the season in 95) and who won't want to see that happen again; the fact that Man U are still top and will be tonight - it's in their hands to win it or lose it, not Chelsea's

Weighing it up, it's a hard one to judge. Anything can happen in football. Everyone is presuming that it'll come down to the Stamford Bridge match but who's to say, on Man U's performance yesterday, that they'll match Chelsea game for game? Or that Chelsea will? (although they seem unstoppable at the moment) Anything can happen in football, but I wouldn't fancy Man U - on current fluctuating form - to have to go to Chelsea and get a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, if it went down to the match at the bridge, and we just needed a draw, i'd be confident we'd get it.

Chelsea's form has been impressive, but only in terms of their effectivness, and I think against good teams, their defense has been weak, (mostly due to their crappy play of their fullbacks).
    I can't see United not scoring against them, so the question is, how good will our defence be by then? If it is
    Neville-Rio-Brown-Evra
    I'd be pretty confident we could hold them to just one goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Personally, if it went down to the match at the bridge, and we just needed a draw, i'd be confident we'd get it.

Chelsea's form has been impressive, but only in terms of their effectivness, and I think against good teams, their defense has been weak, (mostly due to their crappy play of their fullbacks).
    I can't see United not scoring against them, so the question is, how good will our defence be by then? If it is
    Neville-Rio-Brown-Evra
    I'd be pretty confident we could hold them to just one goal.

The only poblem for Utd is that if they slip up against Everton or City, which is possible, the could very well end up going to the Bridge behind, and needign a win. Thats a situatin I wouldnt like to have to be in tbh.

Plus theres still the possiblity of West Ham sticking their ore in again.:)

I don't think anybody would want to go to the Bridge needing a win.
    Petr Cech 1
    Wayne Bridge 18
    Paulo Ferreira 20
    John Terry 26
    Michael Ballack 13
    Shaun Wright-Phillips 24
    Michael Essien 5
    Frank Lampard 8
    Claude Makelele 4
    Salomon Kalou 21
    Didier Drogba 11

What sort of messed up formation are Chelsea playing? If Carvalho injured?

They have two full backs, one CB.
    4 Central midfielders
    Two wingers (SWP and Kalou)
    One Striker (Drogba)

I guess Essien is gona go into the CB position again,

Cech
    Ferreira--Essien---Terry--Bridge
    Makelele

Ballack---Lampard
    SWP
    Kalou
    Drogba

Pretty weak defence, but with Makelele providing them cover, it'll be tough for Newcastle to get anything out of this. That said, I hold out hope :)

Yeah Chelsea have looked weaker this season, noly marginally so, but they are beatable...more so than last season...judging from the game at Old Trafford it should be evenly contested...but if Man U need a win Chelsea could well pick them off on te counter, if Chelsea need a win and Man U a draw to stay top I'd agree with you PHB, with a fully-fit defence (IF IF IF) I couldn't really see Chelsea outscoring us

O-O after 20mins, Newcastle having the shots, no shots for Chelsea as of yet....we live in hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ballack off injured. Dunno if that's particularly good news for Liverpool on Wednesday night; Mikel will probably replace him and be more fired up.

Chelsea not looking very impressive but we all know they'll win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Anybody got a link to somewhere i can watch online?

For Chelsea not to win, either Newcastle have to put in an incredible defensive performace (yes, I laughed when I wrote that), or they have to score twice imo.
    I'd be very very suprised this result ending up 0-0 or 1-1.

• Advertisement

they did play pretty well defensively vs. Man U at St.James' on New Years Day...and Nicky Butt's in the side! Hooray!

carpothepunk, sign up to www.footballon.net, it'll cost you a tenner, but its got most premiership games in english commentary. It's really great to be honest.

Cheers mate,gonna go sign up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Or just go to Rojadirecta and use one of the ESPN streams if you don't wanna pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

The Toon always give Mourinho's Chelsea a tough game, especially at SJP. One goal is usually all that separates the two sides, and we owe them for two 1-0 defeats earlier on in the season. I'd fúcking luv it if we beat them and throw a spanner into the title race!

Would you love it, just love it if you beat them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    Would you love it, just love it if you beat them :P
    Absolutely, and I can just imagine Fergie silently saying that to himself right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Pretty kak match so far,Taylor has been immense at the back so far for the geordies. Knowing Chelsea it will prob be one of their "typical" performances and they will come away with a 1-0 :( Will be interesting though if Newcastle take the lead :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

daveg wrote:
    Are you mad. I'm bloody hating this. My blood pressure is going through the roof. God damn my Sky Sports subscription.

Theres tablets you can get to help with that.

I just enjoy the battle and all the twists and turns. I still think United are in the best position to win it. Chelsea have some really tough games and I expect them to drop points. If they dont well then they deserve the title.

Both teams have it in their own hands to win it and the best team will. I hope its united , if its not well it's still been an enjoyable season for us with an improving squad.

Theres a thread here somwhere with predictions for the 2006/07 season and a lot of people said they expected us to struggle for a top 4 place this year. How wrong they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

PHB wrote:
    carpothepunk, sign up to www.footballon.net, it'll cost you a tenner, but its got most premiership games in english commentary. It's really great to be honest.

I'm about to sign up for that.

Is it really worth it, and whats the quality like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Great save from Dyer :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Chelsea are starting to chase this game, could let Newky get something on the counter, as shown from Dyers chance.

Should be a good last 30mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hope to **** Chelsea don't win. Please!!!! I still think they will win this 1 - 0. They really are machines.

Sheva on for Makelele

15mins left.

Didnt think Chelsea would give advantage back to Utd this quick tbh.

• Advertisement

Not over yet.

All bar the shouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

what's lefffffft

4 minutes and stoppages left! COME ON THE TOON!

2 miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins

• Advertisement

is it all chelsea?? or are newcastle holding their own???

4 Added?!wtf

close from Joe Cole.....

cheesedude wrote:
    Finished. United still lead...thank God.
    they would have lead regardless of the result :)

a tired and jaded performance.

Back to square 1 :)

Finished. United still lead...thank God.

Full Time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Fantastic! The toon have done us a massive favour, cant believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Nice one. United've gotten away with murder.

yesssss newcastle are legends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That was the longest last 10 mins I have to watch in a very long time. Well done Newcastle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Diaster for the neutral. Another **** premiership year at the top.

Chelsea fail to capatilise on Uniteds slip up. Chelsea looked very jaded which is not really surprising considering the games they have played in recent weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Chelsea were even lucky to get a point.
    Their negative and cynical attitude was evident today.
    They were desperate not to concede a goal and created almost nothing bar a couple of half chances in attack.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How is it a disaster for the neutral when both the top two still have to play one another. Its only another "**** premiership" for liverpool supporters

Why is that . Neutral would suggest that they would have no preference.

I can see Liverpool doing a number on them again this year. Rafa is a tactical genius in Europe, I love that guy.

And what are you talking about? That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Newcastle 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea missed an opportunity today and were lack-lustre and lacked any killer punch. The spoils were fairly even so a draw was a fair result.
    PHB wrote:
    For Chelsea not to win, either Newcastle have to put in an incredible defensive performace (yes, I laughed when I wrote that), or they have to score twice imo. I'd be very very suprised this result ending up 0-0 or 1-1.

Surprises do happen. Newcastles defence wasnt tested a lot of the time, and with only 11+12 attempts on goal by both clubs, one break goal would have won it.

If Chelsea do have any ambitions on 4 trophies, they need to play with a lot more vigour than this.

Good news for Liverpool given Chelsea's lack-lustre display.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

That makes the hangover I have from drowning my sorrows after Uniteds draw yesterday a little more bearable. 4 games and with an effective 4 point lead (gd) and Chelsead to play united and Arsenal away title should be making its way home :D

Advertisement