Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR Sat Nav, Best options 4 Ireland NOW ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Well Sunny any decisions ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

OK , heres a review of the Garmin nuvi 660 , its a huge review but explains all it can do which seems to be about everything , ( I have ordered mine )

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/10/garmin_nuvi_660_indepth_review.php

Heres a review of another Garmin( nuvi 250 ) , Im including this one because it has a table of all the differences between the Nuvi models.

http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2007/04/garmin_nuvi_250_indepth_review.php

The reviews are american so dont say much for Irish maps , however they use Navteq maps which are by all accounts very good.

Got mine from Komplett which seems by all accounts to be a very good price.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=326986

As you can see from the table in the link above the 660 does just about everything required by the OP. It has an FM transmitter for MP3 , bluetooth , text to speech ( meaning it reads out street names ) etc.

The review is excellent and practically reads like a manual , hope it helps some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Is Turkey considered Europe on the Garmin European maps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

sharkman wrote:
    Well Sunny any decisions ???

Well mr sharkman,

Am I right in saying that the tom tom 910 only connects to the car system for playing mp3 by cable and bluetooth ? both are useless for my car as it doesnt have bluetooth boo hoo and its deeply integrated in the dash so a cable might be a nightmare ! :) FM would have been an easier option !

I am also conserned about getting the right maps, or more to the point where to get them !

Other than that I am good to go .. I think lol no I am !!!!

sunny2004 wrote:
    Well mr sharkman,

Am I right in saying that the tom tom 910 only connects to the car system for playing mp3 by cable and bluetooth ? both are useless for my car as it doesnt have bluetooth boo hoo and its deeply integrated in the dash so a cable might be a nightmare ! :) FM would have been an easier option !

I am also conserned about getting the right maps, or more to the point where to get them !

Other than that I am good to go .. I think lol no I am !!!!

Here you Go ! http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=302&Product=212&Category=0

OK, I am at present combing the internet looking for a good price ! well i am in fact trawling Ebay !
    Anyone with any links are much appreciated !

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320968&view=detailed

• Registered Users Posts: 25 paulbds

I use a TomTom 510 with the updated April 2007 maps. They seem up to date and accurate - -they een have parts of the Gorey Bypass ready to go. I went for the complete Western Europe map - -covers me for the places I need to go to this year, Ireland (esp south east/Tipp.UK and Italy). Incidentally the maps not only work in my tomtom but also in my HP Ipaq so they were realy good value.
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

If I were buying now, I'd go for TomTom rather than Garmin. Nicer interface, more programmable, European company where Garmin's American, works with a Mac, while Garmin doesn't.

Both of them (I'm talking the cheaper end of the standard) will guide you in terms of "Turn left in 200 metres", but neither will read out the road names. Doesn't matter. You can glance at the map, or pull in and take a careful look, and you'll see the road names on the map.

The TomTom interface is nicer - the map is much clearer, and the road's relationship to the roads around it; the settings are much easier to tweak; the whole thing's really a lot more user-friendly.

Satnav is not a technology that's user-friendly generally yet, though. Hopefully the iPhone will have satnav on it if Apple remove their finger, and then we'll see a good user interface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

paulbds wrote:
    I use a TomTom 510 with the updated April 2007 maps. They seem up to date and accurate - -they een have parts of the Gorey Bypass ready to go. I went for the complete Western Europe map - -covers me for the places I need to go to this year, Ireland (esp south east/Tipp.UK and Italy). Incidentally the maps not only work in my tomtom but also in my HP Ipaq so they were realy good value.
    Paul

the only tomtom worth getting for ireland is the one with the european maps as they are the navteq ones, if you get tomtom for ireland alone it has terrible teleatlas mapping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Good tip, Cyrus, thanks.

The Garmin Nuvi wasn't great when I was in Paris last month. I was using it to guide me walking, and it took half an hour before I worked out how to get to the street where I was saying. It kept telling me to walk 200 metres one way, then the other, then sideways, then back... And then I went to meet someone at the Madeleine, and it routed me all over the quays when I could have walked straight up from the Hotel de Ville.

Cyrus wrote:
    the only tomtom worth getting for ireland is the one with the european maps as they are the navteq ones, if you get tomtom for ireland alone it has terrible teleatlas mapping

TRUE .....

Tomtom 6 Western Europe map v6.60 build 1256. This map is from Navteq and is the best map out at the moment . It is more accurate than the new 6.75 build .

I've run two TT 910's side by side over two days and the Navteq 660.1256 wins hands down .

(Thanks for waking me up Cyrus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Incorrect sir :D

i think you will find that thats a navteq map ;)

and further the 6.75 is indeed the horrible teleatlas one

altho i take the point that if you get a tomtom with the newer western europe map you are back to square one :(

Sorry , My Bad . It is definately Navteq . (Half asleep still).

And I agree that if you get a tomtom with the newer western europe map you are back to square one .

It pays to check map version before handing over any cash !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jiggs

hmm, so confusing.

so what do you recommend to go for? Garmin nuvi or TomTom GO?

which has the better maps? And are there any promising updates in the near future?

I prefer the TomTom GO 910s features over the nuvi660, and the price too.
    But i dont wanna get the TomTom if i end up getting lost cos of missing roads.

i wish there was a way of seeing the maps on the net somewhere before buying.

thanks

Jiggs wrote:
    hmm, so confusing.

so what do you recommend to go for? Garmin nuvi or TomTom GO?

which has the better maps? And are there any promising updates in the near future?

I prefer the TomTom GO 910s features over the nuvi660, and the price too.
    But i dont wanna get the TomTom if i end up getting lost cos of missing roads.

i wish there was a way of seeing the maps on the net somewhere before buying.

thanks

Yes , later in the year TomTom will release new f/w on their new models , this will filter down as free upgrade software on existing models .

Details :http://www.yournav.com/content/s/342/First_meet_with_TomTom_NavCore_7.html

Looks VERY VERY COOL .

• Advertisement

Cool. Will that include new maps though? I have tried a friends TomTom, with UK and Ire maps 6.75 and it seems pretty good. But there are some addresses missing that i saw on my quick browse through the maps. But nothing too major.

If i got a GO 910 for example, will that be able to take that new update? And when are new maps due?

thanks

Jiggs wrote:
    Cool. Will that include new maps though? I have tried a friends TomTom, with UK and Ire maps 6.75 and it seems pretty good. But there are some addresses missing that i saw on my quick browse through the maps. But nothing too major.

If i got a GO 910 for example, will that be able to take that new update? And when are new maps due?

thanks

As per my previous post the maps prior to 6.75 are actually better .

But in the future, will whatever comes after 6.75 be better than 6.60? Because i heard something about their new map supplier being not very good?
    Is 6.60 as good as or close to Garmin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Sounds like it was directing you based on one way traffic etc.

Anyone have any experience with nuvi200? A friend is looking for just Ireland maps and cheap as possible,(but obviously still decent maps)

• Advertisement

so what do you guys think i should get? i can get the TomTom GO 910 for 390 euro, or the Garmin Nuvi 660 for 490 euro. Is the Garmin worth 100 more? Or is the TomTom with 6.60 maps and a 20gb hard drive a better deal?

thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Jiggs wrote:
    so what do you guys think i should get? i can get the TomTom GO 910 for 390 euro, or the Garmin Nuvi 660 for 490 euro. Is the Garmin worth 100 more? Or is the TomTom with 6.60 maps and a 20gb hard drive a better deal?

thanks for the help
    I'd say go for the Garmin but does it have to be the Nuvi 660. how about the 310, 350, 360, 370 or 600? :D

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Jiggs wrote:

thanks for the help

I'm with Luckat "The TomTom interface is nicer - the map is much clearer, and the road's relationship to the roads around it; the settings are much easier to tweak; the whole thing's really a lot more user-friendly. "

There are some good third party applications available also . I can watch dvd movies on my Go910 for example .

Nah, I wouldn't touch a Tom Tom.I've heard lots of bad reports about them (maps etc). It's Garmin all the way for me. :D

el diablo wrote:
    Nah, I wouldn't touch a Tom Tom.I've heard lots of bad reports about them (maps etc). It's Garmin all the way for me. :D

I've used Navman , Garmin and now TomTom and beliave me TT's UI is far nicer than Garmins as is the visual aspects on the map , plus they are easier to customise with plenty of colour schemes available and over 40 voices .

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭DaDa

Where is the best place in Dublin to look at and get advice on either Garmins or Tom Toms?

I am heading to U.S. for 3 weeks on Monday, and was thinking of buying before travelling. Don't have time now to wait for an internet order to arrive.

Or should I buy in U.S?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Did anyone ever come accross the AA Navigator Vive I was wondering if anyone knew what maps were used on it and basically whether it was any good. Not looking for anything fancy, just something with good coverage around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

It uses navtec maps(says in the features)... if they're the latest ones coverage will be V. Good..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320968

Is this cheaper than normal because of the maps?
    Where could i get the V6.60 Navteq maps for this?

Does anyone know what maps come on the TomTom One Xl Europe edition

I have ordered the TomTom from the Komplett link above..
    So lets see ! :)
    Big thank you to sharkman for his assistance, now all I have to find is the Bono voice for directions ;) LOL

newest TeleAtlas maps are installed ? May need to change these. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 The GREEK

Hi, i am looking for the best gps for a delivery driver, one that give you addresses ect rather than just roads!
    I have found this here TomTom ONE XL Europe: http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=347&Category=0&Lid=25

What is your opinion?

My Tomtom 910 has arrived !!!!
    My god there is a lot of stuff in the box !!
    No house charger, but in fairness to Komplett its stated in the advert, I got what seems to be a US charger and a car charger, so just need some trans atlantic tickets and I am set ;)

Have fun sunny , if you need any help give me a shout .. BTW what maps came loaded ?

i got the same tomtom. from komplett. Any UK to US converter will do the trick. I used one i had lying around for shavers. Works perfectly. You should find one in a Dunnes Stores i think.
    The maps are 6.75s i think. Of EU, US and UK, except for ireland. I got the 6.75s of ireland tho, and so far, its gotten me everywhere without problems.
    I even took it on holidays this last weekend to London, and never got lost. It walked us to good restaurants, the nearest tube stations, famous land marks. It was great.

Just got myself the TomTom One XL Europe.
    Maps are 6.75.It did update so i don't know if they came as standard.
    These are Navteq maps?

Oh and sharkman , i noticed you said the 6.6- maps are better , how could i get these?
    cheers

hottstuff wrote:
    Just got myself the TomTom One XL Europe.
    Maps are 6.75.It did update so i don't know if they came as standard.
    These are Navteq maps?

Oh and sharkman , i noticed you said the 6.6- maps are better , how could i get these?
    cheers

Drop me a PM with your number .

sharkman wrote:
    Have fun sunny , if you need any help give me a shout .. BTW what maps came loaded ?

Cheers,
    Well I got my tomtom910 connected to my computer but cant seem to find how to tell the map version ?

Its asking me to register ? do I need to register ?? :)

DAMN>
    I have just disconnected it and the screen it powered on as in there is a dim light on it but it seems to be jammed, can not switch it off or on ?? I see in the manual the mention of a reset button, its not a very clear diagram !

Here you GO !

s4s-reset_go02.gif

Cheers.. :D
    I was reading this.. :) and still none the wiser !

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=60085

I think it might be an idea to keep a pin in the car for such occassions !

Cheers..

Now do I need to connect to my pc to see the map version ?

and do I have to register the unit do you think ?

• Advertisement

I cant fiqure out how to get the tomtom910 to read road names, It says I cant use a human voice so I am selecting another voice and the speech preferences are grayed out for "read road names" Will keep trying ;)

http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=232&SID=0&CID=217-218&Language=1&FID=4611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

sunny2004 wrote:
    I cant fiqure out how to get the tomtom910 to read road names, It says I cant use a human voice so I am selecting another voice and the speech preferences are grayed out for "read road names" Will keep trying ;)

http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=232&SID=0&CID=217-218&Language=1&FID=4611
    I have the same issue, please post if you get around it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Hey guys, been reading through the post and have been on the lookout for a while, thinking about going for the tom tom 910 because of the features like sunny. If it comes with that 6.75 version software, is it possible to downgrade to version 6.6 for free?are all the maps from tom tom in that teleatlas format? is it possible that these can be got in navteq or am i just talkin crazy? fair play sharkman, you know your stuff!!

Ibjiba wrote:
    I have the same issue, please post if you get around it somehow.

You need to select a computer voice and then into your speech options and enable everything .

@ hollywoodhoppy , yes you can roll back the maps .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 snowfruit

I am considering buying a TomTom Go 910. Its from eBay at a good price however before I do: is it likely to have the latest version of the maps, and if so is it possible to downgrade to the reputedly better previous version? And if it has older versions of the maps, can they be upgraded and how much would this cost?

If it comes with that 6.75 version software, is it possible to downgrade to version 6.6 for free?

I have the OneXL Europe with 6.75 and i want to get this also.
    AFAIK they use Navteq maps despite 6.6 being better than 6.75

• Advertisement

If it comes with that 6.75 version software, is it possible to downgrade to version 6.6 for free?QUOTE]

I have the OneXL Europe with 6.75 and would like to know this also.
    AFAIK 6.75 uses the Teleatlas maps

On my Tom Tom 910 I can get it to phone a number but cant get it to send texts?
    phone is a sony ericsson 800i?
    any ideas?

sunny2004 wrote:
    On my Tom Tom 910 I can get it to phone a number but cant get it to send texts?
    phone is a sony ericsson 800i?
    any ideas?

I would re-install the phone , deleating it first .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

A choice between the Tomtom One XL for €300 or the Garmin nuvi 310 for €280. Which one would be the better? It's mainly just for Dublin.

eirebhoy wrote:
    A choice between the Tomtom One XL for €300 or the Garmin nuvi 310 for €280. Which one would be the better? It's mainly just for Dublin.
    I'd say the Garmin but I don't think you'll get a 310 for €280. maybe it's a nuvi 300 you're talking about, is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement