Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAR Sat Nav, Best options 4 Ireland NOW ?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

el diablo wrote:
    I'd say the Garmin but I don't think you'll get a 310 for €280. maybe it's a nuvi 300 you're talking about, is it?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Garmin-nuvi-310-satnav-gps-sat-nav-Bluetooth-MP3_W0QQitemZ180144322984QQihZ008QQcategoryZ75327QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

eirebhoy wrote:
    I have a nuvi 310 and I'm very happy it. that looks like a good price . I've seen it in some shops in Dublin for €411.:eek:

just make sure it has the latest maps (Version 9).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

Wohoo, got my Go 910 last night from Komplett and already downloaded some new voices to it along with 6.75 maps for Ireland. They seem fine but I must try to get my hands on the older Navteq ones to see what all the fuss is about.

I had a US to UK adapter which works nicely so I can charge it in the house no problem.

I too had the freeze problem but I was pre-warned and it was easy to reset.

Problem - the unit is now stuck in the windscreen mount and I don't want to force it. Is there some knack to undocking it? It was no problem to remove it from the PC docking station, you just lift it out.

Also would you recommend deleting all foreign language voices from it to save space?

Thanks for all the advice Sharkman over the last couple of weeks.

Very pleased so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

To remove , press the button in the middle at the top of the screen and tilt the bottom of the unit away from the mount .

Only delete something once you have a backup done .

Wohoo, got my Go 910 last night from Komplett and already downloaded some new voices to it along with 6.75 maps for Ireland. They seem fine but I must try to get my hands on the older Navteq ones to see what all the fuss is about.

I had a US to UK adapter which works nicely so I can charge it in the house no problem.

I too had the freeze problem but I was pre-warned and it was easy to reset.

Problem - the unit is now stuck in the windscreen mount and I don't want to force it. Is there some knack to undocking it? It was no problem to remove it from the PC docking station, you just lift it out.

Also would you recommend deleting all foreign language voices from it to save space?

Thanks for all the advice Sharkman over the last couple of weeks.

Very pleased so far.

Doh! what an idiot, so that's what the little black release button is for above the screen! Just as well I didn't force it too much.

Well I must say I am sucking diesel now with the 910. I've recorded and uploaded both my kids voices as per the link Sharkman provided. It took a few hours but it was really worth it. If you spend the time and do it right, the voices are truly natural and it will be a surreal experience next week when my 5 year old son is giving me directions for complex routes in the South of France!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I've read through this thread and who knew GPS was so complicated with different maps, different map versions etc. Looking for a gps ~ 300eur obviously with good Ireland maps thinking about garmin... anyone just give me a nudge in the right direction. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

center15 wrote:
    I've read through this thread and who knew GPS was so complicated with different maps, different map versions etc. Looking for a gps ~ 300eur obviously with good Ireland maps thinking about garmin... anyone just give me a nudge in the right direction. Cheers.
    yeah, the Garmin are pretty good and with comprehensive maps of Ireland. how about a nuvi 300 or 310 (this one has bluetooth phone integration).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I've been looking at the Garmin NUVI 650 and the Garmin NUVI 350 anyone have any experience with these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have the 350 and it an excellent piece of kit. Its on Pixmania for €299

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

sunny2004 wrote:
    So I suppose my options are one of these,
    660, 610T, 370, 360T and 310 all have bluetooth
    none have mp3 because none use an FM unit?

Is there any independent site that gives reviews ? as I have no idea what the differences are,

or can anyone give me pointers that will allow me to shorten this list ?
    I found www.mysatnav.com - no ,I don't work for them. I just found them on the net - good for specs including accessories. I symphatise with your "choice dilemma" - just been through it myself!! I did the following. Best for Irish roads appears to be the Navteq maps - Garmin have them. A very good receiver (going on reviews) is the SiRF Star111 GPS Receiver - SOME of the Garmins have this. I then forked out the extra money to cover every other aspect - I hope! After days - nay weeks - of agonising I went ahead and got myself the Garmin nuvi 660. (mysatnav for purchase - not too cheap but they're the real mccoy when it comes to knowledge - I went for that.) Go, also, to www.gpsmagazine.com for a VERY comprehensive review. Other Garmin reviews good too. Hope that helps. (Gave it a go tonight on the way to Roundwood from Kilmacanogue - secondary road but still quite good - its a learning curve like everything else in life - I'm sure it'll be better when I've sussed it out some more). I hope to use it on walks in foreign parts so the 3/5 hrs of battery sounds better than most. The widescreen is a joy to use. All the best Michael r. ps The lady's voice is a computerised thing - not the greatest or pleasentest - and definitely not good on Irish place names - good for a laugh, though , and she still works - pity there's not a choice of voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

after some months I must say I am very happy with my 910..

Great options, downside is that the maps are not great in the country !

But other than that its a great satnav

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

sunny2004 wrote:
    after some months I must say I am very happy with my 910..

Great options, downside is that the maps are not great in the country !

But other than that its a great satnav

What maps are loaded on it ???

Advertisement