Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for the sticks in Carlow ! (Ballon)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Paddy, I have no problem with your opinion !
    I simply found myself repeating myself...

As for the value of money..
    Well their installation cost is in the 100's and you are then left with one point of access additional hardwired points are expensive.. and are hardwired ! STOP>> ;) refer to list above..

:)

I want a 21st century service from Eircom. They get enough money from me.. I pay for 2 lines and my bills are +200 a month... lets say 2500 a year..
    I know its to much to ask that they give a service level above "Antartica" ;)

I really dont understand why people simply put up with it and think they should be greatful for an overpriced restrictive service !

Now before anyone start to barrate me for this, lets stay on topic, the title and the opening post explains it all !

On a different note, the 3g service that didnt work was returned within 48 hours got a full refund except for the 50 euros that I had to pay as the Indian call centre couldnt find my address on their system, it was to be returned by post... still waiting LOL and now they are sending me bills.. You have got to love it, it could only happen in Ireland ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I think you are winding us all up. You are paying roughly 2500 a year for a delapidated service at dial up speed. You have a choice of instantly switching to another provider with far greater speeds and save yourself *roughly* 2200 per year or 40 per week just because the service is hardwired even though its no different than it is now. The mind boggles :o

LOL.. ok I suggest paddy (with the height of respect) that your good self and I refrain from comms on this matter..

I at no point suggested I spent that fiqure on internet connection alone but on telephone lines ! its what I pay each year approx to eircom ! well not from next week when I switch to alternative provider !

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Paddy using his Laois charm and knowledge to make more friends :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Paddy using his Laois charm and knowledge to make more friends :rolleyes:

Simply expressing my own personal views.

Anyone from this location got an opinion or managed to get 3g or 02 or vodaphone wirless to work ?

o2, its offical they dont cover here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

25 EUR is dead cheap. Eircom costs you min. 44 EUR (24 EUR line rental + 20 EUR DSL) for 1mbit/128kbit with 10 GB cap AND it's rate adaptive. In the sticks you'll never get more than 500-800 kbit of that.

The services being hardwired does not make a difference if you network it around the house. Eircom does also only install one phonepoint (which they charge you 130 EUR for) and any additional phonepoints have to be wired by an electrician or whoever for extra charge, if you don't already have them.

Anyhow, you'll be better off with a fixed wireless provider, even if the installation cost is a bit more expensive, because if done right, you'll have better latency.

As for wireless around the house, even for an eircom DSL i would buy a different ADSL modem and AP, because the netopia yoke is crap anyhow and far too unreliable.

And if you are waiting to get eircom to provide you the service, well then you're not interested in service, but just interested in getting ripped off.

/Martin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Corrections. The basic price to get always-on broadband is €49.14 (basic always-on broadband is €25) per month.

Those in rural areas nearly always seem to be getting the full 1 mbit, as eircom seem to be using some sort of extra technology for the longest lines. And anyway, I know a friend who lives even further from any town than I do, but gets 3 mbit reliable DSL.

Eircom are supposed to be able to install extra phone sockets if requested, but I believe it costs €55 for the half-hour's labour.

And for those who want a short contract (i.e. six months), I think eircom offers the best value for money. Most providers have 12-month contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Grommet

Sunny - back to the original item in your thread - Ballon, Carlow...eircom DSL.

My sources tell me that Ballon is definitely due to be enabled for DSL by December if not sooner. I understand it would have been much earlier except for issues with physical space in the exchange to wire up the DSL ports. In any case it is definitely coming this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Physical space?!!? A lot of those rural exchanges seem to contain switching equipment the size of a filing cabinet and some backup batteries and a small MDF. Which looks like a glorified roadside phone cabinet. The DSL equipment going into the small exchanges now are the size of 3 desktop PCs or thereabouts. You'd barely notice them.

Is that source reliable?? I'm very skeptical tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

Is someone using this crowd "Reach broadband" maybe they can post their views?, I'm asking because I'm sick and tired of VF and next month my contract is up and I'm on the look out to change.
    Is there any news when Wimax is going to be available in Tullow?

rgds
    Zeppi

Advertisement