Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts Society

Options
  • 21-04-2007 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey everyone,

Just thought I would let you all know.

There will be an Inaugural meeting of the Arts Society this coming Wednesday at 5pm in Theatre P

We will be submitting a proposal to the Students at this meeting in the hope of getting the society up and running for the coming year. The society is aimed at Arts & Social Science students and will be running events such as the Arts Ball, Arts Day, Freshers Week events, Break the Ice events for 1st years, class parties, Careers & Post graduate talks, and a Careers Week. The aim of the society is to promote unity and a sense of community within the Arts Block.

We all know how daunting the Arts Block can be for a 1st year in UCD. This is our chance to change it.
    We will be electing class reps next year to over see the activities of the Society within each School and to ensure no student gets left behind.

The committee to oversee the re-establishment of the Society and to organise the coming year will be elected at this meeting.

Everyone is welcome to attend the meeting.

For more info see the posters around the Arts Block or email arts_soc@hotmail.com

It aint no paradise, but its home!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What positions will ye be electing, who has put their names forward and are there any particular procedures you are following?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Arts_Soc

The finalised positions will be posted on UCDSU Newswire on Monday.
    They will likely include Auditor, Vice Auditor, Secretary, Tresuraur, Events and Communications. There will also be OCM committee members appointed to areas such as Sponsorship, Membership, Arts Day, Arts Ball, other events etc.....

As the constitution stands it is the power of the Auditor to appoint the committee, in a similar way to the L&H.

John Regan, the acting Auditor has said that he wants the committee elected in the first year and that the Auditor's constitutional powers to be restricted so he can will only act with the consent of the committee and with the will of the students. This will be included in the transitory provisions for the 1st year.

If you have any further questions email arts_soc@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

id be interested in getting involved with this!

Arts_Soc wrote:
    The finalised positions will be posted on UCDSU Newswire on Monday.
    They will likely include Auditor, Vice Auditor, Secretary, Tresuraur, Events and Communications. There will also be OCM committee members appointed to areas such as Sponsorship, Membership, Arts Day, Arts Ball, other events etc.....

As the constitution stands it is the power of the Auditor to appoint the committee, in a similar way to the L&H.

Faults
    1)Positions available monday, elected wednesday.
    2)How exaclty do you hold elections, who gets a vote since there is no member base, who even runs the elections?!
    3)I think the office of Vice Auditor is a symptom of systemic failure. It ingrains a hierarchical notion, and career path [sic].
    3)Giving the auditor power to appoint the committee isnt a great idea and how sure are you that thats the case, Im just curious if ye have a copy of the society's constitution cos if not then you'd be bound by the model constitution - where 9 members of the committee are elected by direct franchise using proportional representation.

Transparency and involvement are great things, but really what you should do is
    A)Go to the societies officer with a provisional committee and resurrect the society
    B)Recruit members in freshers week
    C)Then hold an EGM, elect a committee and set out the constitution

A)Go to the societies officer with a provisional committee and resurrect the society

thats what we are doing!!!!

the provisional committee is going to be elected from those who are most interested and able to do the job. then we go to the societies officer....

the provisional committee will be elected by everyone who shows up on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

There's already a constitution in place Kap, the society is just in hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Grimes wrote:
    id be interested in getting involved with this!
    Me too!!

Blush_01 wrote:
    There's already a constitution in place Kap, the society is just in hibernation.
    You someone got the impression I didnt know that?

I asked the question did they have a copy of the society's constitution (ie the one from before it went into hibernation), because if they dont and there is none (they cant just make one up - as its an existing society which they dont have control over) they are bound by the model constitution.

Arts_Soc wrote:
    thats what we are doing!!!!

the provisional committee is going to be elected from those who are most interested and able to do the job. then we go to the societies officer....

the provisional committee will be elected by everyone who shows up on Wednesday.
    When I was talking to john regan today (acting auditor) he said that they were going to hold elections wednesday and vote on a constitution in two weeks time.

Where is the authority to do either coming from since arts soc doesnt have any members?
    What gives those people who show up any right to vote?

the students who show up on Wednesday will be voting for a provisional committee who will work to establish the society. the students will be voting on the basis of who they want to establish the society, and who they think will do the best job at making it work right.

this will be purely a caretaker committee which I have said all along. The students dont need to be members of a society to vote for the people they want to be on the committee that will re-establish the society. If it was the case that only society members could vote for a caretaker committee to be reestablished then we would be out looking for people in their mid and late 20's

Once the committee is established, the caretaker committee will work to ensure Freshers week is a success and then we will hold an EGM the week after to formally elect a committee to run the year.

If anyone has any more questions, dont hesitate to email arts_soc@hotmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Faults
    1)Positions available monday, elected wednesday.
    2)How exaclty do you hold elections, who gets a vote since there is no member base, who even runs the elections?!
    3)I think the office of Vice Auditor is a symptom of systemic failure. It ingrains a hierarchical notion, and career path [sic].
    3)Giving the auditor power to appoint the committee isnt a great idea and how sure are you that thats the case, Im just curious if ye have a copy of the society's constitution cos if not then you'd be bound by the model constitution - where 9 members of the committee are elected by direct franchise using proportional representation.

Kap, your ability to find fault and rant every time something to do with societies comes up on these boards is frankly depressing. Maybe you are just trying to be helpful but putting the word 'Faults' in bold at the top of your post isn't exactly endearing and these things are, after all, only your opinion. I'm sure if the OP has gotten this far they've probably already been in touch with Richard etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Great to hear an Arts Soc is in hibernation. It's badly needed for the Arts faculty and as long as it doesn't stray from its fundamental aims towards yet another UCD B&L/C&E type society I'm sure it has great potential to be massive success.

Out of interest, what happened to the previous Arts Soc which was before most of our times here in UCD? What brought it's downfall and what does the new Arts Soc plan to do differenty from its predecessor?

The following positions for the "caretaker" committee will be elected on Wednesday:

Auditor
    Vice Auditor
    Treasurer
    Secretary
    Events
    Communications

The caretaker committee will be responsible for working closely with the Societies Officer, putting a proposal together for re-establishment of the society and co-ordinating the society until an EGM is held in September.

The caretaker committee will operate under the old Arts Society Constitution, a hard copy of which is available upon request. A new constitution, which updates the old constitution (changes from faculty to school etc....) will be put forward at the EGM.

If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to email arts_soc@hotmail.com

MEETING THIS WEDNESDAY @5PM IN THEATRE P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Jesus Kaptain_Redeye, chill? They're going to all the work of setting up the society. I'm sure they've thought it through and presumably the societies officer has had some input on this so let them go ahead with it.

Having set up a society myself I know the wealth of issues that are in play and people can't sum them up easily in a short boards post...

Well done on the idea lads and good luck to you!

Thanks, but Im perfectly calm. After arts soc reply I let things lie but if elmyra and your self really want another reply I'll happily oblige.

The mistake I made was assuming that the Arts Soc poster was John Regan himself, and treating this thread like a conversation Id have with John.

The point of my post wasnt anti arts soc or anti anyone in it, it was if you are going to do something save yourself the hassle and do it right.
    When I was talking to John Regan, acting auditor, he told me of his plans to put the proposed constitutional changes to a vote some time this year. What I was saying was how he has no right to do any such thing, and now I gather from the latest arts soc post hes not going to.
    If I had anything to do with this decision Im happy, because I remember the embarrassment caused to another society auditor who made a haems of a constitutional change and I wouldnt want this to happen to John.

Maybe you are just trying to be helpful but putting the word 'Faults' in bold at the top of your post isn't exactly endearing
    I like to use format, structure and (though not always perfect) punctuation.
    It makes my post more coherent.
    Well structured posts look less "ranty" to me, but apparently to some other people good structure looks like a fit of rage.

Bold letters on the internet dont mean shouting, CAPITALS do, especially if combined with exclamations!! \ If I wanted to be sarcastic or condescending I'd use italics.

Perhaps I should only comunicate with smilies or text speak, cos den wed all b n da sme pg :eek: :rolleyes: ;):p:D

Now Ive disappointed if Elmyra and TheVan thought I was stirring ****. Even more so that Elmyra thought:
    elmyra wrote:
    Kap, your ability to find fault and rant every time something to do with societies comes up on these boards is frankly depressing.
    The last society thread I posted in, one which contains the majority of my posts about society land was very positive of societys as a whole. In that thread and the previous one I posted in I was sticking up for societies and trying to dispel misinformation. If the search was functioning fully Id gladly point you to the threads to refresh your memory.

And though Im glad you both managed to make the assumption that they've been in contact with butler, that wasnt the point of the post. Going from what Ive explained about the purpose of adding emphasis:
    That wasnt the point of my closing paragraph. The point, the one I added emphasis to so as to show it was my point, was that an EGM is where you should debate changed to a constitution, and should be held after you recruit members.
    Apparently John has come to realise this.

(For the sake of clarity because I dont presume any knowledge to be common sense I outlined in brief the three stage process to resurrecting a defunct society. I wasnt making any inferences as to whether or not they'd completed stage 1, just that they hadnt completed 2, so how could they do 3).

I think resurrecting the society is a good thing, I think electing the caretaker committee isnt necessary but if they want to no harm, but that changing the constitution before freshers week would be.

The other half of my post that elmyra thought was **** stirring:
    "1" was a statement of fact. It is something that should have been improved, no point hiding it.
    "2" was a question
    "3" was clearly phrased as opinion
    "4" (the second no. 3, mea culpa) was also a question

And just so we all know how I feel as I write this, because the tone isnt at all obvious from my punctuation or language, :) :rolleyes:

There has been significant interest in the elected positions over the last few days, and I would like to thank all those who took time to contact us.

The Ordinary committee members, working on things like events, sponsorship and arts ball/day will be appointed asap....... we will gauge interest at the meeting tomorrow and the committee will decide (not the auditor) who will be appointed.

I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow...

john
    :rolleyes:

john

knew it, shouldnt be declairing yourself unaffiliated John, this isnt newswire - we have rules ;)
    Yes I know what you meant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

knew it
    Well, actually, you made nothing but assumptions from the start of the thread.

The committee has formally been elected at a meeting held today, Wednesday 25th @5pm in Theatre P

Please find the committee members elected at the meeting in a word document.

Some 80 people showed up at the meeting, and there was significant interest in committee positions. I would like to thank everyone who came along and showed support for our plans.

We will keep you all up to date with our plans for the year.....

A powerpoint file of the plans for the year is available on UCDSU Newswire should anyone want to have a look :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bond and Pender bridging the political gap. Truely and eqivalent of the Good Friday agreement.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Arts rules. I will join arts soc. Lets all make arts the best faculty and society in college.

Advertisement