Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing in item from states that would normally require an export license

Options
  • 21-04-2007 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I want to fly over to the states and import an item which normally requires an export license (nothing too sinister...its just a thermographic camera). None of the stateside vendors are prepared to ship as they don't want the hassle of obtaining an export license (which can take up to six months to obtain). Prices in Europe are very much inflated by comparison.

If I was to fly over and fly back with said item, in the unlikely (but potential) event that US customs prevented me from flying on with it, what would be the final outcome?
    Would the item simply be confiscated without me having any further rights to its ownership?
    Would I be given the opportunity to apply for an export license, await clearance and have it shipped in due course?

Anyone with any experience importing goods that require an export cert would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry for OT post, but out of curiousity why do you need an export licence for a thermographic camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

dahamsta wrote:
    Sorry for OT post, but out of curiousity why do you need an export licence for a thermographic camera?
    I suppose they're afraid I'd join the taliban and hand the camera over to them or something. They've nothing to worry about though....i'd never be able to grow a Taliban regulation beard :D
    Seriously though, i'm not sure why the restrictions kick in at this level as the resolution of the camera is basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If I was to fly over and fly back with said item, in the unlikely (but potential) event that US customs prevented me from flying on with it, what would be the final outcome?

Caught bringing something illegal onto a flight... something a terriots might have... i think a long stay in prision might be more of an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would not advise you to do this if you ever plan to do business in or go to the US ever again.

Have you heard of the 'Denied Persons List'? (http://www.bis.doc.gov/dpl/Default.shtm)

How much money are we talking about saving here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I suppose they're afraid I'd join the taliban and hand the camera over to them or something. They've nothing to worry about though....i'd never be able to grow a Taliban regulation beard
    Seriously though, i'm not sure why the restrictions kick in at this level as the resolution of the camera is basic.

I dont mean to be offensive but if you are not of caucaisin or african descent then you are going to be F**CKED.

Racial profiling does come into it.

However I'd feign innocence stating that they couldnt ship and so on. And FFS they mightn't know it was thermograpic and might confuse it for a normal one I'd hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭serotonin_sam

Spyral wrote:
    However I'd feign innocence stating that they couldnt ship and so on. And FFS they mightn't know it was thermograpic and might confuse it for a normal one I'd hope.
    Yes, the odds are it would be ok - but I don't want to play the odds if they're likely to confiscate permanently (this kit is worth 10k and i can little afford to let the likes slip through my fingers).

Advertisement