Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras in Schools?

Options
  • 21-04-2007 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

For or against?
    Don't care or feel strongly?

Our school are putting up cameras at the moment, creeps me out and it's gonna be a bit of a hindrance to dossing/sneaking off during school hours but like any good student I'll find alternative methods, how do the rest of you feel?

CCTV in Schools... 9 votes

No no!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes yes!
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

The main reason schools bring them in is to push down the insurance premium on the place. We've had cameras for a couple of years, and I don't think they've used the things once since we've gotten them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Our school had them installed last year even though there wasn't any problems of theft or (much) vandalism. The decision to install them was purely a business one - they got a grant from the Government for them and they also pushed down insurance premiums. They have rarely been used to this day and sometimes we'd hear the principal shout over the intercom something a long the lines of "Would the students who have just ran into the toilets please return to class!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I think they're a good idea for some reasons, think about it, some poor kid has the crap kicked out of him, caught on camera....at least then the school have proof and can do something about it y'know?

We had them installed a few years ago and nobody really batted an eyelid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Covering the grounds and entrances and exits yes, for many reasons including student safety, but covering corridors and classrooms and offices would be a bit intrusive I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If having it resulted in you getting anything stolen from you back, you wouldn't complain about it being there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

There were a number of incidents of bags being stolen from changing rooms in my school before there were cameras put up outside the changing rooms, and my bag was one of them. Luckily there was nothing valuable in my bag and they dumped it in the woods beside my school where I found it, but it certainly shows that schools need security as much as anywhere and CCTV is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Rozabeez wrote:
    I think they're a good idea for some reasons, think about it, some poor kid has the crap kicked out of him, caught on camera....at least then the school have proof and can do something about it y'know?

We had them installed a few years ago and nobody really batted an eyelid.

We only have 3..and they're in stupid places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

We have upwards of 30 in our school and there is only a few very small blindspots remaining , basically everywhere in our school your on camera and I pretty much assumed it would be like that in any other school. The idea of not having cameras in school or even people objecting to their principle just seems completely foreign to me. I should point out though that it is an all boy school in Donegal which is possibly one of the worst combinations for crime possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

We've got none. Our school is so tiny you can see what's going on everywhere really. But I think they'd be a good idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

We have them in our school. No-one's either way on them really, but the only case they've tried to use them in this year was when someone broke a door, and following watching the CCTV footage, they tried to peg it on someone who didn't do it.

Mustn't be very high quality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

But they can just increase quality using a computer! They've clearly never watched television.

My school doesn't have them, I'm pretty sure. If we did have them nobody's looking at them because stuff gets robbed all the time. Wouldn't really like to have them. Whenever we've had cases of people's stuff getting robbed it's because they've stupidly left their valuable items in their bags during lunch or when they're out of the class. Instead I think the teachers should just warn all first years and incoming foreign students, and we'll all be grand.

Advertisement