Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Election Candidates

Options
  • 21-04-2007 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

I know there's a forum dedicated to the General Election, but I was just curious to know how people in Sligo will vote?
    Myself, I still don't know who to vote for but I know I'm def not voting for Fine Gael- Imelda Henry!

Which party are you voting for in Sligo / Leitrim? 32 votes

Fianna Fáil
    0% 0 votes
    Fine Gael
    15% 5 votes
    Labour
    28% 9 votes
    SinnFein
    9% 3 votes
    Independent
    28% 9 votes
    Progressive Democrats
    0% 0 votes
    Green Party
    3% 1 vote
    Others
    15% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Madge wrote:
    I know there's a forum dedicated to the General Election, but I was just curious to know how people in Sligo will vote?
    Myself, I still don't know who to vote for but I know I'm def not voting for Fine Gael- Imelda Henry!
    Add a poll and use the parties as the options rather than the candidates as there would be too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

South Sligo or North Sligo? I haven't been home in a while and I don't know who's running can people help me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

muffler wrote:
    Add a poll and use the parties as the options rather than the candidates as there would be too many.

Done!

Sorry- forgot to add the 'PD's', 'Greens' and 'Other' options! Can't edit poll so 1 of the mods will have to...

Madge wrote:
    Sorry- forgot to add the 'PD's', 'Greens' and 'Other' options! Can't edit poll so 1 of the mods will have to...
    Literally ran out of options so I grouped the Greens/others together

Edit: Just discovered I could add another couple of options so I have now separated the greens from the others :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Madge wrote:

Sorry Madge, but this is the North-West Forum as far as I am aware, but I agree we need a North West opinion poll on the partie's, perhaps muffler could arrange this on a fair and equitable basis :D .

P.:cool:

Paddy20 wrote:
    Sorry Madge, but this is the North-West Forum as far as I am aware, but I agree we need a North West opinion poll on the partie's, perhaps muffler could arrange this on a fair and equitable basis :D .

P.:cool:

Yes sorry, but I thought Sligo and N. Leitrim have the same candidates though.. Perhaps there could be a big thread on the election in general or something,
    I don't really know!

In fairness I could see what Madge was trying to achieve - gauge the political feeling in the Sligo/North Leitrim area. Im sure it will be interesting to people in those areas but probably not that important to people in Donegal.

What I will do is open a couple of threads with polls added for the 2 Donegal constituencies thus keeping everyone happy.

Edit:On second thoughts one thread would be enough

muffler wrote:
    Literally ran out of options so I grouped the Greens/others together

Edit: Just discovered I could add another couple of options so I have now separated the greens from the others :)

We only have four choices anyways though don't we?

Hey, how do you mean we only have 4 choices?
    I think I'll vote labour- McGarry

• Advertisement

Is that the final line up of candidates or are nominations still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I think that's it all right.

muffler wrote:
    Is that the final line up of candidates or are nominations still open?

Its changed again, there's now a green candidate and a fathers rights responsibility candidate! Can the poll be altered to reflect this and perhaps take out the PD option, since they haven't (and probably won't) be running someone in Sligo. There's also no independent on the mycandidate list, but are there any running?

Its changed again, there's now a green candidate and a fathers rights responsibility candidate! Can the poll be altered to reflect this and perhaps take out the PD option, since they haven't (and probably won't) be running someone in Sligo. There's also no independent on the mycandidate list, but are there any running?
    Well I did ask the question if the nominations were closed and failed to get an answer other than someone saying they thought so . Until such time as someone can show me or give a link to info that proves that nominations are closed then the poll will have to stay the way it is.

Cant see why you are put out about it.

Not put out at all, its not a big deal. I don't know when nominations close.

and a fathers rights responsibility candidate!
    That would fall into the others section as they dont have a registered party AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

There is at least one independant running, Andy "The Bull" MacSharry, from North Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

There is at least one independant running, Andy "The Bull" MacSharry, from North Sligo.

I have heard this guys slogan, something on the line of lets get the bullocks out of leinster house and let a bull take charge, something on those lines.
    I beleive he has been hyped up around the ballintrillick area for the hill walking crusade, simillar to the MMDS situation in Donegal in 97/98.

So can anyone share who is actually running.

Sean McManus and Andy McSharry is all i am aware of, is Perry from Ballymote running this year.

nanook wrote:
    So can anyone share who is actually running.

Sean McManus and Andy McSharry is all i am aware of, is Perry from Ballymote running this year.

Well this is a list but I dont see McSharry on it

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    I have heard this guys slogan, something on the line of lets get the bullocks out of leinster house and let a bull take charge, something on those lines.
    I beleive he has been hyped up around the ballintrillick area for the hill walking crusade, simillar to the MMDS situation in Donegal in 97/98.
    Even if he was running, He would only get the vote of the farmers, nobody else. He seems to have nothing tangible to offer.
    nanook wrote:
    Yep, John Perry (is that who you're reffering to?) is running. I remember at my grad last year he shook my hand and was making conversation. He came across a bit smarmy.
    But I've decided to vote Labour anyway- McGarry. Did anyone hear about his election posters at Rosses Pt.? Apparently the eyes on ALL his posters were cut out :eek: And he knows who did it!

BTW, is 'Bertiegate' deterring anyone from giving their vote to Fianna Fail?

BTW, I see Sinn Fein have the majority of the votes on the poll. What are the reasons why people are voting for them? Just out of interest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Madge wrote:
    BTW, is 'Bertiegate' deterring anyone from giving their vote to Fianna Fail?

BTW, I see Sinn Fein have the majority of the votes on the poll. What are the reasons why people are voting for them? Just out of interest..

Yes to your question to Bertiegate. I don't trust the man! I don't want FF in government anymore. I will not be voting FF!

As for Sinn Fein. If I was to vote McManus it would be on the basis that he addresses issues that are important to me in his "promises if elected".
    -N17 Ballinacarrow to Tubber road
    -N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin road
    -Widening of Hughes bridge
    -Commitment to the Western Rail Coridoor (sp?)
    -other items I cannot remember right now.

I know these things might never happen but at least he seems to be interested in highlighting them!

There is one thing I'm not sure we'd agree on though. Sinn Fein are totally against Nuclear Power in Ireland.
    I'm not 100% sure that we can afford to totally ignore the option. I would hate to see Nuclear Power in Ireland but unless we find a viable alternative we may not have a choice!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Does anyone have any ideas what time the polls will be open until? Specifically in the Ballysadare area?
    I have to come down from Dublin in order to vote, all because the f***ing election was called on a Sunday, and you had to have your application for a postal vote in on Tuesday evening!!! Have you ever heard anything so ridiculous?????!!!!!!

Can anyone, anywhere, give me a valid reason as to why the vote cannot take place on a Saturday? How many people like me, working away from home, will be unable to vote because of it? Smack-bang in the middle of college exams too!

If FF want people to vote, they sure know how to make it hard for them.

Gillie wrote:
    Yes to your question to Bertiegate. I don't trust the man! I don't want FF in government anymore. I will not be voting FF!

As for Sinn Fein. If I was to vote McManus it would be on the basis that he addresses issues that are important to me in his "promises if elected".
    -N17 Ballinacarrow to Tubber road
    -N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin road
    -Widening of Hughes bridge
    -Commitment to the Western Rail Coridoor (sp?)
    -other items I cannot remember right now.

I don't think these are issues that anyone else will be ignoring and tbh they seem much more like county council issues than dail issues. I won't be voting SF btw, I just can't get my head around what they represent anymore apart from a united Ireland and they seem to be flip flopping on issues such as tax. Have they put out a manifesto yet I wonder?

Does anyone have any ideas what time the polls will be open until? Specifically in the Ballysadare area?
    I think you can vote from 7am to 10pm.
    I don't think these are issues that anyone else will be ignoring and tbh they seem much more like county council issues than dail issues. I won't be voting SF btw, I just can't get my head around what they represent anymore apart from a united Ireland and they seem to be flip flopping on issues such as tax. Have they put out a manifesto yet I wonder?
    I find their economic promises a bit up in the sky so to speak. They want to provide more beds in hospitals (as does every party!), provide more social and affordable housing and tackle anti-social behaviour by working with communities or something and they have promised on all the infrastructure issues Gillie has mentioned. Though I'm not voting for them. They just don't appeal to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Fine Gael have made an interesting decision by running 3 candidates. Perry is relatively safe with a loyal following. Devins for Fianna Fáil too, though god knows why. He's been a constant non-presence since his election, and that stunt the evening before the last election of sticking up dozens of posters all over Sligo town with "Devins delivers Mid Block Money" on them, only for the funding to be pulled again a couple of days later was brazen in the extreme.
    Anyway, I digress. Fine Gael have run two others aprt from Perry, those being Imelda Henry in Sligo town and Michael Comiskey in North Leitrim. Comiskey is in with a good chance, as unless north leitrim returns him, they will have no T.D. of their own to represent them. Imelda Henry could possibly damage his vote in the Glencar/Calry areas though. I am fairly sure she is there to stop Labour taking the third seat and take votes from Devins also.
    Eamonn Scanlon is also a Fianna Fáil possibility. He's a south Sligo, rural candidate, so will take all those local Fianna Fáil votes, along with Devins' seconds. However, John Perry is the dominant force in the area. And to be honest, Scanlon hasn't had much to say for himself either. I'm sure he's a nice guy (I've heard he is), but a bit too much in the old mould of rural T.D.s.
    MacManus doesn't have a hope. The larger parties will take the three seats, be it 2 Fianna Fáil, 1 Fine Gael or visa versa, with an outside hope for Jimmy McGarry for Labour.
    Personally, I think Fine Gael is the way to go for the constituency, as Perry has a chance at a Junior Ministry, or could be in the wings for full Ministry down the line. One of Sligo's biggest problems for the last twenty years is the fact that it hasn't had a minister. Just a succesion of anonamous T.D.s of the governing party who sat at the back and kept their mouths shut (Devins, Brennan etc.) Look at the road infrastucture Castlebar had ten years ago due to Padraig Flynn, or Donegal's upgrading of major roads. Ministers bring money, and neither Devins or Scanlon are within an ass' roar of a ministry.

il gatto wrote:
    Ministers bring money
    Apart from what Jim McDaid brought to the county a few years ago I dont think any county benefits that much by having a minister. Maybe this is a consequence of McDaid's actions

il gatto wrote:
    Devins for Fianna Fáil too, though god knows why. He's been a constant non-presence since his election, and that stunt the evening before the last election of sticking up dozens of posters all over Sligo town with "Devins delivers Mid Block Money" on them, only for the funding to be pulled again a couple of days later was brazen in the extreme.
    Can't remember that incident. I do know he marched with the nurses on the strike here and emphatically said they deserved to get what they wanted, and that puts me off voting for him, as I don't believe the nurses should get their demands, but that's for another thread.
    il gatto wrote:
    Anyway, I digress. Fine Gael have run two others aprt from Perry, those being Imelda Henry in Sligo town
    She came to my door the other day and had nothing really to offer. She had nothing to say about industry or jobs. She just pointed out the current govt. had wasted a lot of money and it would be good for the N.W to have a taoiseach from Mayo. Not convincing enough imo.
    il gatto wrote:
    MacManus doesn't have a hope. Personally, I think Fine Gael is the way to go for the constituency,
    Your assumptions doesn't tally with the poll on this thread though. Sinn Fein have got the most votes
    il gatto wrote:
    One of Sligo's biggest problems for the last twenty years is the fact that it hasn't had a minister. Just a succesion of anonamous T.D.s of the governing party who sat at the back and kept their mouths shut (Devins, Brennan etc.)
    True, IMO Marian Harkin didn't do much when she was in the Dail. Yeah she was often on the radio saying the N.W. gets less funds than the East etc. but she hasn't done anything concrete. She said she gave up her Dail seat in favour of Brussels because she could do more work for Ireland at the parliament than the Dail. I don't believe that for a second. I'll bet she gets a huge salary as an MEP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I agree with you il gatto, its interesting what Fine Gael did, putting 3 candidtates up for election. I dont know too much about Comiskey though. I also agree that Devins seems to have been a non presence since his election, which surprised me a bit, I thought he would have been a fairly high profile TD.

I dont think, however that McGarry even has an outside hope, which is unfortunate because I think he would make a good TD, I also think Sean MacManus would be a good servant for the constituency, he has a very good record on the both the borough and county councils.

I haven't heard too much from the Andy "The Bull" MacSharry though, last time he seemed to be getting more exposure.

One thing I am sure of is that it will be an interesting election count.

• Advertisement

You can view the latest odds here

Advertisement