Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Election Candidates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I still feel that McManus won't do it. He's not as astute as Caoimhghin Ó Caoláin or as high profile as Mary Lou McDonald. Another factor which will count against him is the new layout in constituencies. South Leitrim esp. Ballinamore, Drumshanbo, Carrigallen etc. have always been a huge source of votes for Sinn Fein. As those votes are now in the Roscommon/South Leitrim area, McManus will primarily be relying on town voters, and a less concentrated rural Sinn Fein vote than previously. He may also pick up 3rd and 4th votes, but the seats may already be filled by then.
    McGarry has a chance, albeit a smallish one, because the general disaffection with the current government may tempt people to give him 2nd votes with a view to the alternative coalition.
    Andy "The Bullocks" McSharry is an embarrassment for Sligo. He's a self important, self promoting muck savage who has given North Sligo farmers a bad name. He's a one issue candidate and that one issue is almost a non issue, since the government has vastly reduced farmers liability in cases of injury of uninvited walkers on farms. His land is not even the most used by walkers in the Ballintrillick area. His signage outside his house is ridiculous and should be removed as an eyesore. Does anyone know if he still chains himself to his gate wearing a gag on Sundays? A guy I know from the area said he did it every Sunday, but that was a few years ago.
    He received 303 votes the last time he ran, and I see no reason why he's expected to gain many more. Maybe it's the catchy, self bestowed nickname he borrowed from John B. Keane (or Richard Harris as the case may be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

There is another independent running: John Higgins from Tourlestrane. Read in the paper that he thinks the Dail should move to the West. Ha not likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Just caught 25 minutes of Ocean FM where they had some of the canditates on. Comikey, Scanlon, Perry, McSharry.

None had much to say in my opinion, Comiskey kept talking about Leitrim which is fair enough because thats where he's from but the constituency also includes Sligo! Perry did say that the people of Leitrim should vote for him though, so Perry must be sure he's going to get enough votes to have a safe seat anyway.

Not too sure about Eamon Scanlon, didnt hear enough of what he had to say. McSharry didnt seem to be given as much time to speak as the others but what he did say made since, I am begining to think that he is more than just a one issue candidtate. Does anyone know if he ever ran in the county council elections? I think he would definatley make a good counciler and he could take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

A vote for McGharry is a wasted vote. He'll never be elected for anything because even those in his immediate locality don't vote for him going by last elections tally.

Did anyone see Enda Kenny in Sligo today?
    I think Pat Rabbite is coming to Sligo tomorrow.

BTW, what did everyone think of the debate last night? Did it influence your decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Madge wrote:
    BTW, what did everyone think of the debate last night? Did it influence your decision?

Not really. Not the Leaders Debate. I didn't think Ahern did the business there. Thought Kenny was better than him but he really has to stop mentioning "My Contract". We get it Enda!!:rolleyes:

The debate the night before was far more interesting!!
    Rabitte was his usual self.
    Sargent suprised me and came across very well.
    McDowell - WTF!??:eek: He's a madman!
    Adams looked lost! :( Couldn't back up most of his policies with facts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nah the leaders debates just solidified my opinions on the matter. But I didn't think Sargent did well at all Gillie, he wasn't able to deal with McDowell's questions, and would try and bluster through them telling us about Green achievements in Europe-I know they are affliated but I'm not voting for the candidates that are in power in the Czech republic.

McDowell didn't ask any questions! He just ranted and raved as usual!
    At least Harney can hold a conversation with someone!
    Just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

McDowell didn't come out great from that debate Pat Rabbite came out the best however his drop in the latest polls don't indicate it. Bertie won on points against thunderbird man.

Was in Mayo over the weekend, interesting to see alot of people saying they are going to vote FG having never done so before if FG/LAB got in Mayo would have Taoiseach / Tainaiste and probably a minister. Lots of money heading to mayo by the looks of it.

Nah the leaders debates just solidified my opinions on the matter. But I didn't think Sargent did well at all Gillie, he wasn't able to deal with McDowell's questions,
    I thought Sargent held his own. I thought Pat Rabbite was a bit subdued (apart from his menopausal Paris Hilton comment).
    JoeyJJ wrote:
    if FG/LAB got in Mayo would have Taoiseach / Tainaiste and probably a minister. Lots of money heading to mayo by the looks of it.
    That would be good for the N. West in general. Everything is so Dublin centered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I don't know about the voting but those posters are such a pain, I got hit by Sean McManus on Thursday, who was blowing all over the road!!

magnumlady wrote:
    I don't know about the voting but those posters are such a pain, I got hit by Sean McManus on Thursday, who was blowing all over the road!!

:D
    Sorry. Sounds funny when you read it first!

Posters are a pain in the arse! Sick of them. I don't think they make any difference to the public. It only serves to show you who's running. Surely there is another "greener" way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Can people give me an idea of how the campaigns have been in Sligo so far? Who looks likely to get in, who's not got a hope, who's on the edge for the third seat? I won't be home til wednesday. Do labour have a chance?

Gillie wrote:
    :D
    Sorry. Sounds funny when you read it first!

Posters are a pain in the arse! Sick of them. I don't think they make any difference to the public. It only serves to show you who's running. Surely there is another "greener" way?

I wonder if I can make a claim!!:D

Well, I just heard Devin's motor car going round the roads blaring "please vote for Devins" etc. I'm certainly not voting for him, not just because he hasn't knocked on my door but 'cause he doesn't seem to have done a blessed thing for Sligo since he became a TD. Some people I have talked to in the canteen at work feel the same. Although I don't know if that's the general consensus.
    I would like McGarry to get a seat. He's in the papers every week commenting and debating on different things and seems to have a strong interest in getting Sligo ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Its all getting abit sickly. Did anyone see Bertie in town today. He walked through the Tesco arcade pressing hands, kissing babies and the like. There was a pile of excitable sheep followers with banners, sneering and making snide remarks about " contracts", and gardai and TDs knocking down all the voters. Was like a scene from Father Ted. Pity there wasnt a few of Sean McManus' posters to knock a bit of sense into them..
    Are people that fickle?:rolleyes:

Madge wrote:
    Well, I just heard Devin's motor car going round the roads blaring "please vote for Devins" etc. I'm certainly not voting for him, not just because he hasn't knocked on my door but 'cause he doesn't seem to have done a blessed thing for Sligo since he became a TD. Some people I have talked to in the canteen at work feel the same. Although I don't know if that's the general consensus.
    I would like McGarry to get a seat. He's in the papers every week commenting and debating on different things and seems to have a strong interest in getting Sligo ahead

I would feel the same about Devins.

In relation to McGarry's strong interest the same could be said about McManus. Both would be the first to raise issues of contention in Sligo week in week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Gillie wrote:
    I would feel the same about Devins.

In relation to McGarry's strong interest the same could be said about McManus. Both would be the first to raise issues of contention in Sligo week in week out.

McGArry is a strong worker but I think I have made up my mind today for sure I am going to give my number one to MacManus - not sure about 2 and 3 yet however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Is Marian Harkin running in Sligo or is she concentrating on European elections now? I remember she did a great job in the Dail after a budget a few years ago.

Have my vote in Dublin this year.

tuppence wrote:
    Its all getting abit sickly. Did anyone see Bertie in town today. He walked through the Tesco arcade pressing hands, kissing babies and the like. There was a pile of excitable sheep followers with banners, sneering and making snide remarks about " contracts", and gardai and TDs knocking down all the voters. Was like a scene from Father Ted. Pity there wasnt a few of Sean McManus' posters to knock a bit of sense into them..
    Are people that fickle?:rolleyes:
    No, but I seen pics in the paper. The whole election campaign and canvassing is pure BS anyway- politicicans going round sucking up to people and feigning interest in their lives. It'd be a laugh if a baby pucked on them. Or they got a pie in the face. Remember when some woman threw a pie in Michael Noonan's face in Sligo a few years ago
    JoeyJJ wrote:
    Is Marian Harkin running in Sligo or is she concentrating on European elections now? I remember she did a great job in the Dail after a budget a few years ago.
    No she's not running. It's no loss anyway as I think she's useless!

• Advertisement

Madge wrote:
    Or they got a pie in the face. Remember when some woman threw a pie in Michael Noonan's face in Sligo a few years ago

Wasn't you was it?:confused:

So has everyone made up there mind at this stage?
    Anyone not voting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I've my mind fairly well made up at this stage , not sure its the right decision but there ya go ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Gillie wrote:
    So has everyone made up there mind at this stage?
    Anyone not voting?

Some of us can't vote thanks to the FF/PD axis of evil holding the ballot on a Thursday!! For those lucky enough to be at home - Avenge me!

Some of us can't vote thanks to the FF/PD axis of evil holding the ballot on a Thursday!! For those lucky enough to be at home - Avenge me!

I know! They'll try anything!

Gillie wrote:
    Wasn't you was it?:confused:
    No, why do you ask? :confused:

Anyway, has everyone voted? I'm voting later.
    Seems turnout is steady http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000001459

voted earlier today!

Looks like Fianna Fail are gonna get 2 of the 3 seats - Scanlon and Devins.
    Perry of Fine Gael got 1 as well.
    BTW, did anyone hear of the contrroversy with Imelda Henry? Apparently she forged Enda Kenny's signature on some documents

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Madge wrote:
    BTW, did anyone hear of the contrroversy with Imelda Henry? Apparently she forged Enda Kenny's signature on some documents
    Not hard to copy the letter X :D

• Advertisement

Madge wrote:
    Looks like Fianna Fail are gonna get 2 of the 3 seats - Scanlon and Devins.
    Perry of Fine Gael got 1 as well.

Really??? Didn't hear that.
    Mind you I had someone from Fine Gael forge mine and hubbys signatures to get us onto the register of electors years ago, they even gave date of births (and got them completely wrong).

Advertisement