Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's my first time, lads. Be kind to a stranger.

Options
  • 21-04-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

G'day all! Found these boards by accident (is that a good thing? :D ) and I'm wondering whether I could get some of you to give me some sound advice.

My parents are from Limerick and I'm planning to surprise them with tickets home at their birthday later in the year. To do this, I need to square a few minor details away on the quiet (if I ask family members currently living in Limerick to help it'd be on the midday news).

1. First one is accommodation. I want to organise something decent for about four weeks - a serviced apartment but not a B&B. Dare I ask if there's something like that there?

2. Next thing is a framing place. I have a team signed Wallaby jersey I intend to give to my uncle but I'd rather give it to my Dad and get him to put it in to be framed. Anyone know a decent shop that would do that?

3. Lastly, why does everyone go silent when they're about to kick a conversion at Thomond Park? I don't get that.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your (kind) suggestions.

Cheers,
    TeaLeaf :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Welcome now lets see what we can do

Not to sure bout the first question.

Second one no problem couple of excellent framers. One on Thomas Street city centre and one on broad street 5 minutes from the centre

Silence for the kicker is a show of respect for the person kicking and also a method of psyching out the visiting kicker who can often find the silence harder to concentrate in that a torrent of shouting and booing

I'm sure someone here will be able to help with your accom question.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Regarding accommodation have a look at this

www.clarionsuiteslimerick.com/?r=1681095

Great location, about 15 mins walk to city centre and also airport bus stops right outside the complex. And if they will have a car, parking will be no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Thanks for the quick replies.

I cannot imagine silence before a kick.
    So if you yell anyway would you get thumped?

Do you have a name for the framers in Thomas Street?

And anything besides a hotel?

(I don't ask for much, do I). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Hi Tea Leaf,

You could try this place these are relatively new suites on the limerick Shannon road http://www.rentacottage.ie/property/index.php?typeofproperties=0&regiunea=Limerick&town=...&camere=0&upto=upto&sleeps=&user=search1&submit=%5B+Search+%5D. If you wanted to rent a house or apartment you could try www.Daft.ie. Heres another website that might help you out in your search www.ireland.ie.

(For the Cratloe suites you will need a car to get to places public transport is not great).

There are some letting agency around limerick but dont know whether they do short term lets

Cheers
    Golden

Thomas street one is suprise Thomas Street Framing and gallery.

Cant remember the one on broad street off hand but will check personally have used the Thomas Street one on many occaisions and found them excellent.

Have heard stories of persons being quietened lets say for shouting during a kick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

Tea Leaf, the Clarion Suites are self catering apartments with the benefit of a bar and restaurant on site. Not to be confused with the Clarion Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1. I would also recommend the Clarion Suites. Relations of my neighbour said the Clarion was great and had great rates.

2. Ray Cummins on Catherine Street does a great job framing Jerseys.

3. Just as the other guys said....it's a sign of respect and a way of psyching out the opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

But it is more about the respect aspect , the rugby fraternity here believe in showing respect for all players , break that rule in Thomond Park at your peril .

Fantastic! Thanks everyone, that gives me a lot to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

jonski wrote:
    But it is more about the respect aspect , the rugby fraternity here believe in showing respect for all players , break that rule in Thomond Park at your peril .

Exactly, we're fairly proud of our Rugby here, and we've all grown up with the idea of silence in Thomond.
    It's kind of ingrained on us from a young age, so very few would want to break it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Were proud of our rugby becuase when it comes to sport we aint got much else to be proud of in Limerick
    though we got steve finnan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

1huge1 wrote:
    Were proud of our rugby becuase when it comes to sport we aint got much else to be proud of in Limerick
    though we got steve finnan
    Erm, ever heard of Sam Lynch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sam Lynch? You mean the two time world single sculls champion, one of the best lightweight rowers anywhere in the world for the last 10 years? never heard of him....

We've lots to be proud of in this city, we just actually don't seem to be proud of any of it. I don't understand why we look for the faults in ourselves and ignore them in others. it is a most Limerick trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You could also try the Limerick Hilton. I'm sure there's something about suites written on that sign outside. Plus it's practically in the city centre; just over the riverHilton. The Clarion Suites are a 25 minute walk from town - Clarion Suites.

Or there's a Marriot due to open in the new city centre shopping centre that might be something like what you're looking for-Marriot

Best of luck with it anyway...they could always do homeexchange. My nextdoor neighbours spend about 4 months a year in Oz and have a house in Sydney, but I'm sure a trip up or down the country would be a nice change

As for the framers. Donie in Thomas Street Framers should keep your dad talking too if he smells a story off the jersey. Entertaining guy, though might just be quiet and "efficient" if he's very busy. They do a great job though..my mam's had a few things done there

And if you wanted to send them to a match in Thomond Park; I'd hold off for about 2-3 years as it's a pile of rubble at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

The Hilton or the Clarion is your best bet or even the Raddison which is just on the border of Limerick an Clare if they would like to go for something not bang in the city center.

http://www.limerick.radissonsas.com/
    http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/index.do
    http://www.clarionlimerick.com/

There are loads of decent hotels in Limerick so you should get them someting no problem.

And we stay silent at a kick because its just tradition and respect for the kicker. You should come to thomond park yourself sometime but its been knocked at the moment to build a new ground there.

air wrote:
    Erm, ever heard of Sam Lynch?
    I am gladly mistaken

we aint got much else to be proud of in Limerick

What a shame you say that. I beg to differ. :)

Just following up this thread with a BIG thank you to all who contributed here.

I got great accommodation with a hire car, a framer and some fishing gear.

What else can I say, but brilliant.

My sincere thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Well I hope they have a great trip.

They did.
    In fact, they enjoyed it so much that they've decided to move back.
    I'm still in shock.
    I'll have to bloody visit now. :D

When i said theres notihng much else to be proud of in limerick i was talking about in terms of sports, you misquoted me, Limerick is a brillaint city and i'm glad your parents enjoyed it, you should visit

although if your parents came recently im sure they were dissapointed with the weather as it has been fairly bad this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Tea Leaf wrote:
    They did.
    In fact, they enjoyed it so much that they've decided to move back.

If they can enjoy themselves in this weather the rest of us must be doing something wrong!!

ninty9er wrote:
    If they can enjoy themselves in this weather the rest of us must be doing something wrong!!

Damn Straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

ninty9er wrote:

crack cocaine Ted

Advertisement