Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

req: Mechanic

Options
  • 21-04-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a reliable mechanic in Dublin in the Beaumont area?
    We're buying a second hand car and the guy who was supposed to be checking it out for us today didn't turn up. When we called him, he told us he had "better things to do with his time than look at cars".
    So any mechanic in the area who actually doesn't mind looking at cars would be welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Most mechanics won't check out cars anymore due to liability issues as they could be sued if a problem arose that they didn't spot. Your best bet is to get the AA or RAC to check it out for you, it's not very expensive and they do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

W@nkers like this should be named & shamed. Why not just say up front he's not interested in doing this PAYING job. Always best to use tradesmen with a personal recommendation whenever possible.

ditto on the AA/RAC - at least their word is something they will stand over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

Next time ring guys @ carcheck.ie - absolutely fantastic service!
    Rang them at 11am and at 6pm i had the detailed report ready!
    And it was only 150 quid! Def recommend them to anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Next time ring guys @ carcheck.ie - absolutely fantastic service!
    Rang them at 11am and at 6pm i had the detailed report ready!
    And it was only 150 quid! Def recommend them to anyone :)

Sounds good but there in limerick :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

drdre wrote:

Charge over 300 Euro for a basic check, rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If there's a comeback, i.e. something they overlooked, you can take issue with whoever tested it so they have to cover themselves and make a profit. 300 euros is a small price to pay considering you'd spend thousands on a car. I know I'd pay it if I was serious about buying a car and I work on them for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:

I think they provide a nationwide service. Give them a ring and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭maly07@poczta.o

drdre wrote:

Yup u right, but they went nationwide recently, give them a ring early enough in the morning and they will sort u out on the same day!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 B_Rubble

he guy who was carcheck dot ie is now http://www.carcheckireland.com/default.php. He is a guy based in Limerick. It costs 150Euro. You get a full run down. He is pretty excellent when it comes to routing out con-men. USed to do assessments for insurance companies I think. Very quick to arrange check. Very quick to report back. He phones you after the check, then sends a hard copy.
    Saved my bacon once and gave me some excellent bargaining info on a second occasion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement