Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

workpit built but waterproofing failing

Options
  • 21-04-2007 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I posted a while back about building a workpit into my new garage. Being below the water table I was looking for suggestions into how to protect it and eventually went for a pond liner. The pit is built a week. I've removed the pump from the sump outside the plastic jacket and backfilled the outer spaces. This is the problem.

After only 24 hours of not draining outside the hole the water quickly rose 1 or 2 foot to the top of what I had backfilled. Next thing I notice there is a damp spot after appearing on one the inside walls at the bottom. Not good because there should be no water on the inside of the liner.

So, I dug the sump hole back out in a hurry, stuck the pump back in and its keeping the water table lower than the floor of the pit for now to give me time.

Are there any suggestions out there as to what I can do to the inner walls of the pit, bitumen, tar, anything? And where to get it so I can do it myself.

pittmp.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

In the U.S. millions of sump pumps are sold every year ..... they are on permanent standby to drain sumps like the one you created and simply pump away water to prevent flooding of house basements etc .....

I wonder if you may have to consider the pump/sump a permanent fixture .... :confused:

I can't think of an effective way to evercome the leaking liner other than the above .... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I can't think of anything that would stick to wet concrete well enough to prevent water entering the well.
    if the inside of the pit is wet and this is probably the driest spell for this time of the year on record, then I would be highly dubious that the situation will improve in the winter.
    there is probably a puncture in the liner and water being the great levelling agent that it is will find it's own way in.
    I would second hobie that a permanently fitted sump pump will probably be your only way forward now.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Yeah a sump and pump is the best option, I just havent designed a permanent one into the build, it'll take more work to make it happen, and the less work --- the better.

Anyway, the inside of the walls arent wet at all, a wet spot the size of one block developed very quickly but I halted it and its drying out again thanks to the pump keeping the water down so I do have the chance to apply something to the dry inside walls

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

wet all the walls and then paint them with black waterprofing rubber. it might work. wetting the walls spreads the paint better

Advertisement