Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

penalty points - Blue tooth kit

Options
  • 21-04-2007 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

hi
    was stopped by a garda the other day, i have a bluetooth kit installed in the
    car and was adjusting the volume of the bluetooth kit by pressing the button
    on the side of the phone....a garda on a bike saw me and stopped me.

he took my details i didnt have my driving licence with me at the time so he asked me to produce it and insurance at garda station..... he was nice about it.

i asked him would i get points? he said its not controlled locally anymore he just makes his report and someone in dublin decides..... he said probably not.. if i dont hear anything in the next 10 days ill be ok......he said.
    he said he would note in his report that i had a bluetooth kit..

whats the story here? surely the garda decides if he is going to do you for the offence or not?

and the offence is for holding a phone isnt it?

do you rekon ill get points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

No I don't ,
    I wouldn't worry about this in the slightest
    and would be very suprised if you heard anything more about the matter.
    Its ridiculous that he stopped you, sounds no different to adjusting the volume on you radio

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not trying to take the piss here, but does your bluetooth kit not have its own volume control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Stephen wrote:
    Not trying to take the piss here, but does your bluetooth kit not have its own volume control?

yes it does... its the sony hcb 100 bluetooth kit i have mounted to the sunvisor.. the quality of the sound is excellent...

well the reason why i was adjusting the sound from the phone was its easier to do... and less fiddly to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ah OK I thought it was one of the in-ear ones. Makes more sense now :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Cant imagine he will do you for a mobile phone fine.

He may be considering a "driving without due care and attention" summons. It would be his superintendant who decides after he gives him the facts.

Very doubtful though.

The ten days thing is to see if your licensed and insured. If you are id say thats the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Where you driving or stopped at the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Dont worry you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

BostonB wrote:
    Where you driving or stopped at the time?

Friend of mine was "done" for using the phone while stopped in traffic.

Also remember the offence is for actually holding the phone: it doesn't even have to be switched on....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i know of someone who almost got done for being on the phone stopped in traffic.

The traffic they were stopped in was the 5 hour traffic jam on the M50/M11/N11 a few months back, and they were ringing their child minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I don't think that you will get points mate. I think the Garda prob has a quota to fill each week/month and he kinda had to take your details even though he knew you had a Bluetooth Kit.

I dont think you have anything to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

I JUST RECEIVED MY FIXED PENALTY NOTICE FROM THE GARDAI IN THE POST THIS MORNING! €60 EURO FINE!!

AND 2 POINTS ,,,,,,ARRGHHH!

I think that they tell you that you may receive points so that you wont get annoyed at them at the side of the road when they stop you......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lesson here is put your phone somewhere you can't reach before you start driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

EIN wrote:
    I JUST RECEIVED MY FIXED PENALTY NOTICE FROM THE GARDAI IN THE POST THIS MORNING! €60 EURO FINE!!

AND 2 POINTS ,,,,,,ARRGHHH!

I think that they tell you that you may receive points so that you wont get annoyed at them at the side of the road when they stop you......

Just pay it and stop arguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Useless fooks! And whats all this about guards not giving people straight answers as to wheter or not they are being done for an offence. This seems to be happening a lot lately, they wont tell people whats happening in case they get annoyed. How is this legal or any way right? Shower of numpty`s on traffice duty taking easy pickings.

Advertisement