Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Recessed Lighting

Options
  • 21-04-2007 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I would be very grateful for any advice board members could give me in relation to the following problem.

In 2003/2004 I had an extension built and various internal work done on my house.All of the new lighting put into the house - bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, hall etc., - was recessed. The holders all have 230V, 60W, R64 printed on them. I have 25 of these around the house

After a year the first bulb went and when I tried to unscrew the bulb it would not budge. My brother-in-law who is a DIY whizz was in my house on Christmas Day 2004 and another bulb blew. He told me that he had the same lights in his house and the only way to change the bulb was to take the holder out of the ceiling and unloosen the bulb that way. I could not believe it.

Then another problem appeared when some of the lamp holders started hanging out of the ceiling. I called an electrician who was working on my sisters house and he replaced one for E100.00 parts and labour. He said that
    these type of downlighters has caused terrible problems in the past.

This problem has reoccured several times now and I have boken lampholders all over the house plus ceilings with bits of plaster fallen out of them from pulling out the holders to change the bulbs.

This week I contacted the electrician who did the original work on my house in 2004 and told him of the problem. He said to me "yeah that lighting has caused terrible problems, melting, bulbs blowing and all". I could not believe what I was hearing.

He is coming to the house next week and I want to have a negotiation with him. I would like to have all 25 holders in the house replaced with ones that will give less trouble and are more user friendly. I would be prepared to pay for the holders but not for the labour to install them as the wiring is there, the holes are in the ceiling etc.

Is this a reasonable position to take on my part? Has too much time elapsed for me to have any rights in this regard? Could anyone advice me please?

regards

Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

The wiring is there but do you think there is no labour involved in changing from one fitting to a different type? Too much time has passed and you have already paid him so I don't think you will get away with him changing the fittings for free. For most construction jobs you are entitled to hold a certain percentage of payment for a certain length of time to see if any problems crop up. Only a few months though, nothing like three years in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A couple of points:

I have had somewhat similar problems with my downlighters, changing bulbs can be a bit of a pain as I guess from all the heating and cooling cycles they go through, the edison screw fittings become very tight. I have found that a tightening and loosening action helps to overcome the problem when taking out blown bulbs, I've never had to take the fitting down from the ceiling.

I don't know what brand my downlighters are but they are a combination of metal and plastic and came in a green box, got them in Eastern Electrical. Have probably had to replace 5 or 6 in total over the 5 years they are in, because of the problem you describe with the plastic catch on the bulb holder breaking resulting in the bulb and holder falling down from the fitting.
    The last ones I replaced with entirely plastic fittings which I got in City Electrical which seem to be a much better job.

In the medium term I intend to change all the fittings to GU10 type fittings and use good quailty warm light LED bulbs which should last for many many years without changing and consume much less energy.

I have always replaced the fittings myself, it's only a couple of screws to loosen to replace the wires. Just remember to knock off the breaker at the panel.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi travellerI,

firstly, I'm not one to knock the work of others, if your story is true, I'd say that you are offering a fair option. If these lights are a fire risk then the guy should be only too happy to change them FOC, there is alot of work in it for him/her but if they are worried about their rep and sleeping at night then you could be on a winner. Although you are outside your 1 year period, I think you still have a point, also from the electricians point of view who ever sold him/her the lights and claimed they would be up to the task also has a case to answer, as clearly they have not operated as expected.

Just for the record I've mentioned using CFL lamps in GU10 fittings here as the best (non dimmable) low cost lighting option. LEDS IMO fall far short from a straight change out solution to hot/expensive lamps.
    Best of luck, I'd say the guy will "look after you" as they say.

Advertisement