Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maplin GPS for €159

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Uses teleatlas maps which aren't supposed to be great. Have a look in the gps forum here for more info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doesnt mention anything about irish maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

These can be flashed with the TomTom mapping, as it's essentially a CE 4.2 PDA...even can revert back to the Windows desktop if you want! Just google Aytobe TomTom, up it'll come.

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

kearnsr wrote:
    Doesnt mention anything about irish maps

Q) The description says that it covers all of the UK. Does this include Northern Ireland? (Some products say UK but mean GB) Thanks Jonathan - Jonathan Magee
    A) Northern Ireland is included (not Eire)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

was in town today and asked about this its out of stock and they wont have them till next month some time. Can this defo be turned into tomtom ?

• Advertisement

The_Edge wrote:
    Q) The description says that it covers all of the UK. Does this include Northern Ireland? (Some products say UK but mean GB) Thanks Jonathan - Jonathan Magee
    A) Northern Ireland is included (not Eire)

Maplin in blanch have these in stock got one today. Was playing about with it a bit seems very good so far not that i have any previous experience using gps before. Its got Uk + Republic of Ireland maps on it even found my obscurely named road in dublin.

Pack came with a 512 card, car and home chargers, usb cable and suction thingy for the windscreen all for 163. Not bad at all. Now just got to find out if it is possible to put tomtom on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Looking at that myself but was put off by the lack of Irish maps (according to the FAQs for it anyway).

Let us know how you get on with it kristok!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

I see that halfords have the route66 chicago 6000 gps using latest navteq (Ireland and the UK) at half price in their stores (though not online as I'm informed). Would work out at approx 180-190 euro as far as I can remember but unfortunately I'd need a GPS to navigate my dense gray matter. You'd have to check on halfords.com (prices in GBP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

Guys...mine is on TomTom. Really easy to do

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

joeswatch wrote:
    I see that halfords have the route66 chicago 6000 gps using latest navteq (Ireland and the UK) at half price in their stores (though not online as I'm informed). Would work out at approx 180-190 euro as far as I can remember but unfortunately I'd need a GPS to navigate my dense gray matter. You'd have to check on halfords.com (prices in GBP).

Do you know which halfords stores have these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭redfan

bought this as an unboxed item.....it is missing loads of streets.flash to tomtom advice needed thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

phill106 wrote:
    That one has TeleAtlas mapping, supposed to be inferior to Navteq mapping (for Ireland anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

byte wrote:
    That one has TeleAtlas mapping, supposed to be inferior to Navteq mapping (for Ireland anyway)

It also has a speed camera detector and is illegal in Ireland if it works - although it's unlikely that it would have camera data for RoI, presumably? If not then it's not an issue.

Got tomtom 6 to work on this which is much better than the included software/maps. Would highly recommend this gps now.

And there is no speed camera data available for Ireland on any gps apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

sdonn_1 wrote:
    It also has a speed camera detector and is illegal in Ireland if it works - although it's unlikely that it would have camera data for RoI, presumably? If not then it's not an issue.

Theres no GPS navigation unit that has a laser or radar detector built in to it. However most GPS units have a Speed Camera database, theres non here because we have little or no fixed speed cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I got one of those "ay to be" units in maplin today. It was €165 and can be easily converted to a tomtom using the info here

Grand little piece of kit for the money. The default maps are rubbish though mind, you will need to do the tomtom conversion for good irish coverage.

Got one myself and am running TomTom 6 with the latest West European maps.
    You can edit the autorun and boot to a WinCE desktop too which is sweet.

Cheers OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

Just got one, tt here I come.
    Maps that come with it worked well...till I got to lucan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frank@Work

If you convert this to TomTom, can you do the custom voices thingy i've seen some ppl talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

If You convert it to TOMTOM You can do everything what You can in TOMTOM :)

Anyone know how to get rid of the start menu bar from the bottom of the win ce screen, I did the hide the bar option but then i couldn't get it back...so had to start again.
    It would be handy for full screen apps with selection buttons at the bottom (i.e. that the start bar hides)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I think I just pressed the show desktop icon on the right hand side of the taskbar.

lafors wrote:
    Just got one, tt here I come.
    Maps that come with it worked well...till I got to lucan :)

yea they worked well for me too till i got to ballymun and it told me to go through the 2 round abouts that havnt been there for years.

I think I just pressed the show desktop icon on the right hand side of the taskbar.

Cool works a treat :D

Mods, any chance of linking this to the GPS forum?
    I'm sure they'd be interested seeing as its a gps topic.

Just checked the Blanch store and they say they're sold out. :(
    Ah well, must be quicker next time.

Frank@Work wrote:
    Just checked the Blanch store and they say they're sold out. :(
    Ah well, must be quicker next time.

Ah crap, they had 7 left, i got one so that left 6 yesterday at about 1pm.
    You could try to get it online from maplin.co.uk??

lafors wrote:
    Ah crap, they had 7 left, i got one so that left 6 yesterday at about 1pm.
    You could try to get it online from maplin.co.uk??
    They're sold out online, I'd say they allocated the ones left for online sales, or they got scooped up.

Guy's as far as I know this device is called 'AyToBe', but can anyone tell me the model ID? I'm gonna try eBay, cos I'm interested in the adding of WinCE / TomTom ability... Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Anyone know if an Evesham AA anvigator Vive can be converted to Tom Tom? Also were yis all getting your AA software :p ?

• Advertisement

Frank@Work wrote:
    Guy's as far as I know this device is called 'AyToBe', but can anyone tell me the model ID? I'm gonna try eBay, cos I'm interested in the adding of WinCE / TomTom ability... Thanks.

Your right...it's this one:
    www.aytobe.com

On the back of mine it says "ATB083"

Ebay

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Anybody know if there's any left in jervis street ?

Tried Jervis St today and they were sold out, getting more in next week. Chanced my arm at blanch and got one there.

Altough the sales guy was really trying to put me off it, he was saying loads of people haven't been able to convert them to tomtom and have been trying to bring them back.

Picked one up anyway so will try it out.

That could very well be the case but yet they keep selling out im sure he would have sold you another gps for 400 and wouldnt have said a word.

Its unbelievably simple to convert this to use tomtom if you can use google to search for instructions and are able to use bit torrent etc to download the maps then there is no reason why you cant get it working.

stevenmu wrote:
    Tried Jervis St today and they were sold out, getting more in next week. Chanced my arm at blanch and got one there.

Altough the sales guy was really trying to put me off it, he was saying loads of people haven't been able to convert them to tomtom and have been trying to bring them back.

Picked one up anyway so will try it out.

Must of been the same bloke I was talking to, he did the exact same, he tried to sell me a €450 one instead :rolleyes:

Must have been. He was dead wrong too, I installed TomTom on it today and it works perfectly. Used th instructions listed earlier in the thread, they were very easy to follow. Thanks to all for this wonderfull bargain.

• Advertisement

Just a few pics from my modded AytoBe

img1389go8.th.jpg img1377dy5.th.jpg img1379jk1.th.jpg img1380rd9.th.jpgimg1381xy2.th.jpg img1382tp4.th.jpg img1383at1.th.jpg img1390qj7.th.jpg img1386kk8.th.jpg

Notcie the speed camers
    img1387lp9.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got this up and running last night with TomTom .... Took a few minutes to find the GPS signal, but works great!

Edge,
    Thanks for the screenies, they look great!

I ordered mine from eBay on Sunday so it should be with me by the end of the week. Maybe this tread could be moved/copied to the GPS section?

There's lots more of these on eBay and I got mine for 135 (incl. p&p) from a UK seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I got the last one of these in Blanch. It was the one from display case! Having a wee bit of hassle with the conversion. While copying all the files onto the Aytobe the sync keeps cutting it off, leaving the job half done. With one of the files being 120MB this is making things very awkward. Anyone else have this problem?

Is the AyToBe maybe going into suspend ? Keep it plugged in during the sync to make sure this doesn't happen.

Also, activesync often has problems with copying large files, some tips are to
    make sure you have the latest version, if you're upgrading fully make sure you fully uninstall the previous version, reboot, install, reboot. Try different USB ports, make sure you're not going through a USB hub, or if you're not, then try one if possible (and powered and unpowered if possible). Try a different cable too if you can. If you have another SD card lying around give that a go. If all else fails, you can connect your SD card with a card reader and use that.

• Advertisement

I had the same trouble. I have an SD Card reader, so I just used that to transfer the files to the SD card.

You can get a card reader in any computer shop, or you can get one from shop4memory (based in Ireland, and have VERY quick shipping).

I had to use a card reader myself.

My main OS is WinXPx64. I had to run WinXPx86 via VMWare and from there synch with active synch for it to work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Just picked up one myself and the SD card was missing. It was their last AytoBe so they gave me a blank SD card.
    I have a 3 pin plug in the box too but I dont see anyway to connect it to the AytoBe. Am I missing another cable??

Also haveing issues with connecting with active sync. The joys!!!

The 3 pin plug should come with a lead attached (the plug has a little black box underneath, which I can't remove, so I don't see how your cable is missing).

Active sync worked fine for me. Make sure you have the latest version...

Thanks TMB. There is no little black box on my 3 pin plug. I think I got a display model and thats why there is stuff missing.
    I managed to charge it with a nokia charger (new thin ones) anyway and am copying the files across to it now.

Everything seems to be going fine so far.

What other WinCE applications have people been able to install on theirs?

I'm surprised they sold it to you like that foxirl, without the SD card it wouldn't even have it's own maps. And without the charger is even worse. Did it come with the car charger at least ? If I was you I'd get back on to them and get the proper charger for it, the Nokia charger may reduce the lifespan of the battery if it doesn't match it exactly in terms of voltage and current. Hope you got it at a nice discount ;)

It gets worse. I have now loaded TomTom on it and started it up. It says 'No GPS signal' The satelite bars are all blank.

Anyone else have this problem. Looks like I'll be bringing it back

It can take tomtom a few minutes to pick up the signal. Also make sure you try it outside. The signal doesnt penetrate buildings well

Ya I tried it outside and gave it about 5 mins but no joy.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement