Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials

Options
  • 21-04-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I started to get into this trilogy a few months ago.

I haven't finished reading them but looking forward to the movie at Christmas.

Anyone else into it?
    Got opinions on the casting? I think Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig will do a good job of their parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Loved the books, but I'm not confident about the movie. I remember a good while ago there was talk about them removing the religious elements, and I can't really see how it'd work without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's a movie coming? Wouldn't have a lot of interest in that tbh. Loved the books. And the religious element is essential - particularly in the third book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I liked the books, but I thought they were a little bit overrated. Not so sure how the movie is going to shape up - I think Daniel Craig is perfectly cast, but, judging by the trailer, they seem to have changed Lyra's character a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Illkillya wrote:
    I liked the books, but I thought they were a little bit overrated. .
    Same here, from some of the comments about these books I thought I was in for a great read, sadly they are only average at best. something to read while I was waiting for ericksons new book

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well I'm fairly sure the book was written for teenagers, not your avid fantasy reader who's more used to erikson, martin or goodkind.

*snigger*
    sorry, just had to throw goodkind in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Is it going to be 2 or 3 movies? ( i had heard ages ago that they where going to squeeze it into 2 films, it doesn't look like they'll do that from the teaser though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Mordeth wrote:
    well I'm fairly sure the book was written for teenagers, not your avid fantasy reader who's more used to erikson,
    I know that now, :cool: just started reapers gale this morning and already blown away. something to take my mind of a certain football match:(

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Forgot I'd started this thread.

Here are some pics of the filming:
    http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/photograms/v/movies/

And the trailer...
    http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/news/his-dark-materials-movies/item/the-golden-compass-trailer-released

Don't think it looks too bad. And there's a bit that mentions heresy, so perhaps they haven't completely removed the religious content.

I think the kids'll love it though - I'm quite looking forward to getting my little brother into it. :D

Advertisement