Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL user can't download torrents

Options
  • 22-04-2007 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm an NTL cable modem user and can't get torrents to work. I am running BitTornado 0.3.7 and keep getting an error of "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused')>"

Can anyone help?

thanks,

Al

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Try another tracker, make sure you've forwarded ports in your router/firewall. NTL are screwing around with torrents anyway so your speeds will probably be crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Rubbish speeds all day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Rubbish speeds all day today.

as is the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

dunno why, but i always get perfect speeds.
    i have the grey 200 model modem i think it is. big grey yoke anyway. possibly actually the 120! whatever.

i use bitcomet. im on 1mb. i set the max upload to about 6 or 7kbs.

Oh and change your "half open connections" thing to 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I have no problem with torrent speeds at all on NTL.

Best way to find out if your torrent speed is actually being throttled is find a Linux distro torrent and leave it run for a few mins, I'm on the 6 MB package and normally get 400 - 600 on well seeded Linux distros.

Also if you limit your upload speed you will get crap speeds all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but what happened to the "network shaping" stuff NTL were doing. I heard that they were limiting the speeds of torrent downloads.

I ordered BT BB based on this, should I go back to NTL ?

I'm still expearienceing the shaping

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

yeah my NTL speeds are so bad that I dont bother with torrents any more.
    Where do I adjust my "half open connections" on router setup or torrent program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Mencius

I download about 2 - 3 torrents a day with NTL and have no speed issues unless the torrent in question is badly seeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Right, I take it all back. Zero download speeds tonight.:mad: am using a reliant tracker. In D18 if that helps, where are the people who's torrents are ok??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

read the otehr thread on NTL torrents .....

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

I am supprised that that worked for you, it works for a few seconds for me thats all.

I am supprised that that worked for you, it works for a few seconds for me thats all.

Agreed, same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I use Azureus and it usually flies... now if I could just stop getting those letters from NTL saying I have exceeded my daily download amount. :(

Can you tell us what your settings are then ?? I cant get this working at all. Im gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Can you tell us what your settings are then ?? I cant get this working at all. Im gutted.

You need to give a more details of what is not working. The only thing's i have found that really needs to be setup on azereus to get it working is to open a port for use (you can test this in the azereus client) and setting up port forwarding correctly your router if you use one. Dont forget to allow communication for azereus through any security/firewal software you have.

Try the FAQ's for azereus as its always best to learn at least the basic operations and setup for the client SW.

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/User_Guide

Also take a look at http://www.portforward.com/ if you use a router. You can also use UPnP if you dont want to use port forwarding.

More tweaking which is not necessary - use cable nut software : http://www.cablenut.com/ (Before using this maybe benchmark your speeds before and after)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

I recently switched from eircom to NTL. Previously with eircom is was regurlarly getting 230 ish kb/sec. With NTL on day 1 I some how managed to reach 380kb/sec with the 3mb line, since then, and for the last week and a half or so, it has been never gotten about 20kb/sec. :mad:

I think I'll be doing a U turn and going back to Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Torrents work fine in the mornings/daytime. Once it goes to evening they're slow slow slow for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You need to forward ports with ntl, and set half open connection to around 65,000 as it was before sp2. I use vuze with 6mb ntl and often hit 700kB/s on private trackers. Most of you are using public trackers, so you can expect **** speeds. Also when you check the peers list of any torrent and come across any botcomet users, ban their ip perminatly. They are the ***** that **** speeds up, as bitcomet reports to the tracker that it constantly has 0% of the files, so it trys to force connect all super seeds to upload to it.

Also, any of you not using vuze(azerues) or utorrent you should drop your current client, and move to the two i mentioned, you will get much better speeds if you forward ports correctly.

Anti wrote:
    You need to forward ports with ntl, and set half open connection to around 65,000 as it was before sp2.

Huh?? What does any of the above mean?? Half open? SP2??

How does one forward ports on the small purple ntl modem - 250 I think it is? I've never found a straightforward narrative to do this...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I am on NTL 3mb package and never have any problems downloading torrents. Usally download an episode of 24/lost/heroes in about 10-15 mins (350mb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Downloading seems ok for me (Mostly kick them off late in the evening), but seeding is a disaster. My ratios are all getting screwed up on the private trackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CiaranC wrote:
    Downloading seems ok for me (Mostly kick them off late in the evening), but seeding is a disaster. My ratios are all getting screwed up on the private trackers.

Ya seeding is screwed up. I don't know whats happening with NTL. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

I dont think its a port forwarding issue. I just got NTL installed, and I cant download anything, even very well seeded Linux distros.

The modem I have is a Motorla, and I googled it too see how to forward the ports, to find out that there is no firewall on the modem in the first place it provides a direct connection to the internet, so there's no ports to forward!!

I cancelling it and getting Eircom. Am I gonna have to pay a cancellation fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I cancelling it and getting Eircom. Am I gonna have to pay a cancellation fee?
    Check the contract you signed. I'd say you signed a 12 month contract (as I think that's compulsory). If so, multiply the monthly charge by 12, and that's your cancellation fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If its within 30 days of your order can you possibly cancel as cooling off or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Half Open Connections:

I use BitComet. This is set in the BitComet settings. simple as that. Nothing is done on your router or modem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/08/vigin_nationwide_throttling/

Virgin Media ( thats NTL s new name in the UK since mMarch ) has quietly rolled out bandwidth throttling nationwide, after successful technical trials in the North West, which the ISP says means a group of heavy users will sacrifice high speeds for the benefit of the majority.
    Speeds on the cable network will be limited between 4pm and midnight for traffic which Virgin considers "potentially abnormal". Virgin says the top five per cent heaviest downloaders among its three million customers will be affected - about 150,000 broadband users across the country.

Virgin has criticised rival ADSL providers for their "unlimited" marketing, where opaque fair use policies can mask a monthly GB download limit. It made it clear that national bandwidth throttling would be needed for its network, however, but argued that this increasingly common practice would be fairer than an unpublished monthly cap. Under its new regime, Virgin subscribers will not face restrictions on the amount they can download, but on the speed.
    Customers on the "M" package will be throttled from 2Mb/s to 1Mb/s download speed and 128Kb/s upload once they have downloaded 350MB during the eight hour period. "L" subscribers will be allowed to run at full 4Mb/s speed until they hit 750MB, when downloads will be capped at 2Mb/s and uploads at 192Kb/s. Premium "XL" punters, paying £37 per month for 10Mb/s broadband, will be rationed to 3GB at full clip: anything more will come downstream at 5Mb/s and go upstream at 256Kb/s.
    Virgin is in the process of upgrading the cable network for its top-paying subscribers to allow downloads at 20Mb/s. Theoretically, this speed would exhaust the 3GB limit in just 20 minutes.
    While most now accept that technological limits mean bandwidth throttling is a necessary measure to ensure equality of access, Virgin customers have been getting in touch to criticise the limits for being too low. "M" customer Chris wrote: "I am on their 4Mb/s tier and it looks like I will be throttled as soon as I have downloaded 750MB, which in today's internet is next to nothing - not even one DVD. I use Skype with 2-way video most evenings to chat to my girlfriend when she is abroad...I certainly wouldn't say I am abusing the network - but Virgin Media would."
    The imminent public release of Joost could fire a bigger revolt from customers. The P2P/streaming TV application downloads 350MB per hour, and Virgin will apply the new limits across the whole of prime viewing period, meaning viewers will trigger throttling very quickly.
    Virgin PR chief John Moorwood told us: "We don't cut customers off, cap on bandwidth, or charge extra for going over a set limit, so our customers would still be able to use the P2P TV service at peak times if they were to experience traffic management controls - albeit at a slower speed.
    "That can't be said of some other ISPs, who would be cutting off a connection or charging extra. As ever, we will naturally keep an eye on all significant internet developments."
    The firm hasn't announced plans to tell users when they are going over their limit, and instead has advised customers to download a piece of trialware called DU Meter. Critics argue this would not help a modern home with several PCs, a Slingbox, and XBox, to easily monitor its usage without decent router setup skills - not a very Virgin Media "experience". Moorwood said developing a tool of Virgin's own is "something we might investigate long term".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/21/blueyonder_gets_throttled/

Telewest is introducing network throttling on its "unlimited" Blueyonder broadband product.
    News groups and chatrooms have had complaints of bandwidth problems from NTL customers since early November.

NTL/Telewest has now admitted that it is restricting traffic. Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.
    Telewest sent us the following statement:
    As part of our continued efforts to improve our customers' broadband experience we are introducing measures to more efficiently and pro-actively manage network traffic. These measures are currently being trialled in the Preston region, which includes Preston, Wigan and Blackpool. The measures identify traffic patterns that are deemed potentially abnormal and apply traffic management rules to ensure customers are not adversely affected. We believe this could offer a much more consistent experience for the vast majority - over 95 per cent - of customers.
    These optimisation measures are only used in the evenings at peak time when the potential for abnormal traffic to have an adverse impact on our customers' experience is greatest.
    Throttling network traffic is never popular with users, but increasing use of voice over internet protocol telephony, video services, and online gaming means customer demand keeps on growing.
    Telewest's marketing guff makes much of "unlimited usage, unlike BT and Wanadoo" which is likely to increase user anger.

Its not personal though

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

All the above applies to the UK, all Irish traffic is routed through Holland now and is totally separate from the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bit torrent / p2p is a universal 'problem' for ISPs .

Advertisement