Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL user can't download torrents

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Well as far as I am concerned, I am entitled to cancel with no penalties.

I specifically asked if torrents were blocked, I informed them I had a legitimate reason to use them, as certain college extra course material is provided by a lecturer via torrents, I was told flat out that it was not blocked.

Now I work in an area of a bank that deals alot with advertising and sale of products, and as such know alot about the consumer protection code, according to which I have been missold this product. The sales rep deliberately misled me about the products features and abilities, and as such I can cancel without penalty!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

this does not excuse NTL at all , but the sales rep probably had no idea if torrents were blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Surely it is both the individual Sales Rep and NTL's responsibility
    to ensure they are up to speed on the products they are selling.
    Yet another example of what a sham this company has evolved into.

I can't see any problem in terminating a contract in a situation
    where a company fails to deliver a service they promised.
    There is always http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/c_query/cable.cfm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Mines going back, and I'm looking into Sky in order to get rid of NTL digital TV service too - gotta punish them! :)

If your network cant cope with the number of users and the current download speeds... build a bigger friggin' network (not that they need to, as their fibre is already massive and not fully used in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ive been with NTL for 6 months. I'm on the 6mb line and have had countless problems. I have never had problems with torrents though...until today. They wont work for me! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 husnia

alter200 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm an NTL cable modem user and can't get torrents to work. I am running BitTornado 0.3.7 and keep getting an error of "Problem connecting to tracker - <urlopen error (10061, 'Connection refused')>"

Can anyone help?

thanks,

Al
    soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xman0r

Oh well, here comes another NTL rant.

I've been NTL customer for a year now, and it used to work like a charm - I have the MAX package with 6mb down and 512K up, but few months ago they noticeably installed some traffic shaping devices to the network and since then this broadband has been a piece of sh*t, I basically cannot do anything else than just browse the web, download speeds from web are OK excluding uploads, but I cannot use any P2P programs at all, uploads goes about 1-3KB/s and might speed up to 10 KB/s during nights, and I'm supposed to have a 512K up! Not to mention any DC++ hubs where I get constant disconnects, "connection reset by server" and "negotiation to the hub took too long". This is in Blanchardstown, D15. I'm sure this ain't a port forwarding or a client issue, I could say I've tried everything possible.

I could as well downgrade my "superior MAX package" to the cheapest package since I cannot do anything else than browse the web. Funny thing is that I've kept getting the letters from NTL "you're downloading too much" while I'm sure that I've not hit the 40 GB limit even nearly, because you cannot download anything with this piece of crap. Needless to say that I'm very pissed off, and I'm looking forward to when I'm returning to Finland in 7 months where I had 24M/1M full rate ADSL2+ for 50 euro / month, without any caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

i'm in d15 and I can use Utorrent! unistall your BT, reinstal Ut and change the port to a high number, also if your behind a firewall you need to change it too! I get full speeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Seems that all my torrents are fixed o.o

Phoned up NTL to complain about the loss in quality and they said they check the line. Within an hour my torrents were fully active again and they told me it was something to do with building work in the area. In anycase as long as they work im happy so looks like i don't need to move for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Infini wrote:
    Seems that all my torrents are fixed o.o

Phoned up NTL to complain about the loss in quality and they said they check the line. Within an hour my torrents were fully active again and they told me it was something to do with building work in the area. In anycase as long as they work im happy so looks like i don't need to move for the time being.

I'm not sure if something has struck home with NTL, but for the first time since Feb I'm getting savage speeds on the torrents, using Utorrent. Only on the 2mg package and they're coming down at over 220kB/s.

Are they fixed? Fingers x'd :o :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

Anyone else having major problems with Torrents on NTL tonight? In D6 I keep getting tracker and timeout errors. Nothing works. Nothing.

I havent , although NTL has been down for a period of hours each day for the last 3 days for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Is this the same issue I've been seeing for the last week on NTL about 5-6pm each evening I can't get on any sites, can't even run a speedtest, sometimes the site will come up after time but 90% of the time it doesn't, I ran a tracer route on Amazon.co.uk and goes via the netherlands, but then it timesout at a certain point. tempted to ring Customer support but not in the mood to be fobbed off by some brainless dope.

Snake

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

I havent , although NTL has been down for a period of hours each day for the last 3 days for me.

How long a period?
    Where are you too?

Mines been progressively getting worse and worse for the last 3 weeks, it just loses the connection completely and there's nothing I can do to sort it.
    Engineer's been out and he said(to my dad so could be wrong)something like its a secondary engineer's problem now and he has done all he can do, he changed all cables, checked the box outside,everything.

I still only have about an hour of broadband a day(i left torrents on to see if it ever connects.) and im lucky if I catch it.:mad:

Well for the first to days it was only an hour, but on the third day it was pretty much at least 12 hours.

I am in the Waterford area, and NTL did say there where problems in some specific areas in waterford, but not mine. Everything seems to be ok now though (touch wood ).

Advertisement