Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Davis vs Parrot 2007 WC

• 22-04-2007 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭

was there any craic or joking between the two lads during the match or was it all business??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

From what I saw, it seemed all business.

Neither probably give a damn considering they will be watched more when they actually get knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭patrickc

I like both of them but hope davis wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Of course they both cared about winning , they want to prove they can still do it even at their age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

A good game between these two players.Parrott played well with Davistrying to rile Parrott with foul shots.Davis missed some easy shots which led to his downfall.

The fact remains that these players are good but not great anymore,they have aged and are not what they used to be.Take for example Davis first 147 break on tv,he was in his prime then and he had done this after being jet lagged.I'd expect Parrott to get knocked out in the second round but it would be good to see him progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭Paddy Irishman

What did you all make of the final frame incident involving John Parrot and the red over the pocket? If he did play the black on to the red and pot the red would he have infringed any rule? Could the ref have called a "freeball" perhaps if he deemed it was a deliberate foul to gain an advantage? I have to say I liked the idea even if it was a bit cheeky/unsportsmanlike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I think that shot with the black and the red saved Parrott in that match,otherwise if he hadn't risked the foul for advantage,Davis could have cleaned up and taken the last frame.

It was all business in the match with Davis cheekily playing the foul shot to get in Parrotts head but Davis and Parrott don't care after the match.Davis is really just taking part in the championship for profile sake.Davis and Parrott wouldn't be real contenders at this stage in their career.That would be Ebdon,O Sullivan,Hendry and Williams territory.

I must say Hamilton has been knocking on the door the last few years.He would be a favourite of mine outside the Irish contingent along with Davis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

What did you all make of the final frame incident involving John Parrot and the red over the pocket? If he did play the black on to the red and pot the red would he have infringed any rule? Could the ref have called a "freeball" perhaps if he deemed it was a deliberate foul to gain an advantage? I have to say I liked the idea even if it was a bit cheeky/unsportsmanlike.

Well, first off, I actually genuinely think that Parrott tried to move the red rather than pot it. This was pretty obvious as the black struck the cushion first so as to hit the red in such a way as to knock it away from the pocket. It was just unlucky for Parrott that it stayed in the jaws. If he was going to deliberately pot the red, he would have played the black directly onto it.

As regards the referee, if the red had gone in then the ref could have called the shot a "deliberate miss", awarded 7 points to Davis (as Parrott was playing the black), AND replace the balls as they were before the shot. The miss rule allows for that.

But if you want to follow the letter of the law with this one, the referee would have been perfectly entitled to award THE FRAME to Davis for "unsporting behaviour" as Parrott would have played a DELIBERATE FOUL.

But in the end it does'nt really matter, as th red did'nt go in!:)

Advertisement