Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

want to run .exe to install for 'local user' only

• 22-04-2007 5:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

I do not have 'admin' login on the (networked) machine that I want to install some software on. I think it will install if it doesnt try to install for 'all users' - just for the local user. Is it possible to change the .exe to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

No, Short answer and Long answer , No, I Have had MANY instates where im not an admin on a networked PC (EG : WORK :p ) I have spent hours trying to get around this , no getting around it. You will just have to get the admin to enter their password when u want to install software. Sorry :) ....

<snip>

Barry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you don't have the admin logon then it's not your machine.

If it's not your machine, don't stick software on it with the owners approval. Unapproved software is a pain and one more thing to work through if there is a problem with the machine.

Consider the fines the owner of the machine could be exposed to if the software were unlicensed ..

Also apart from open source / public domain software changing an exe is usually a breach of the license agreement, probably falls under the label hackz too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement