Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Semi-Finals Leg 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What A game. Given our defence thats a better result than I expected. A draw or better next week will see united in the final but Evra's booking is a blow. I wonder will any of the the injured defenders be back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Paul Scholes is going to be a big miss in the second leg. ;)
    Is Scholes suspended ?
    But he missed the Roma second leg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

GTFI I love it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What a game, disappointing to concede 2 goals at home, but what a finish by Ronney 3-2. What a performance by fletcher tonight :eek: . I expect us to score over there 1/2 goals. AC i think held off towards the end happy with 2-2. Paul Scholes is going to be a big miss in the second leg. The Ref i thought was brutal, he booked 2 manu players for getting the ball?

I expect Vidic, Ferdinand and Neville to be back for the second leg, ferdinand might be pushing it, but 90min from the final, i think SAF might take a risk ;)
    what do you scholes mean missing second leg????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What??? Were you watching the same game?
    What the hell are you on about ?
    It was a great match ,two teams playing football .

Balls. It was cack. Comical defending and a few goals makes it a great game and teams playing football?

Please :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

copacetic wrote:
    did anybody else think that Dida was miles out of position for that shot by rooney?

nah it was the fact that rooney hit it first time the angle was all wrong for taking a shot and he had a defender with him so Dida couldn't really have done much more

fantastic performance from United i thought considering a center half pairing of wes brown and O'Shea !!! as well as all the other injuries.

At least we have a chance now .... Go on United!!!!!
    Scholes Ronaldo , Rooney and Heinze were all class tonight ]
    thought the ref booking Giggs and Evra was pathetic Kaka's goals were real class first one cus of the speed and then second for the touches he made to get himselft one on one with VDS real class player.

overall another great game at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

kaimera wrote:
    Crap game really. Neither team looked like potential champs.

Liverpool vs Juventus

I said that word for word :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

kaimera wrote:
    Balls. It was cack. Comical defending and a few goals makes it a great game and teams playing football?

Well it will be alot better than the negative scrap tomorrow night I can guarantee you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Milan must be gutted, losing a goal from your own throw in, in the opposition half. Being such a defenisve minded team, you'd think they'd try and keep the ball in the corner and 11 men behind the ball.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Well it will be alot better than the negative scrap tomorrow night I can guarantee you.

I'll say otherwise.

Each to their own etc etc.
    ...some people no clue

I'm sure you'd have said the same had the game not go in utds way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is Scholes suspended ?
    But he missed the Roma second leg ?
    Because he got two yellows while already one away from a suspension, he carried one over into tonight. Thankfully he didn't get booked, although there were a few tackles where my heart started jumping when the ref blew.

Great game. What a finish. At the start of the night, probably would've been a worrying result, Milan getting two away goals, but given the score at half time it seems terrific. Milan were poor in the second half, United pummelled them. I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic for the San Siro!

kaimera wrote:

im sorry but that was a good game of football - some people no clue
    end to end some at some points great goals by Kaka and rooney , some fine saves from Dida , as for poor defending where have you been do you not realise that there were injuries to 3 of the first team back 4, Milan could do nothing for rooneys two great pass from scholes and great first time shot for the third....

honestly what do some people want these days a 0-0 ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Milan were non-existent from the 65min on...they hadn't got the legs for it...shame Gattuso went off ...Scholes had far too much room after that...

Milan are really a one man team...too many passengers, and that Gillardino is brutal ! I'm not a fan of Insaghi (sp?) but surely he would have done better...

Utd will be in the final now..gutted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Great match. Once Gattuso went off there was only one team in it. Scholes what a pass for the second goal, and lovely first time finish for Rooney, althought I thought Dida was dodge for the goals. Great save from Fletcher, who I thought played very well.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Great match. Once Gattuso went off there was only one team in it. Scholes what a pass for the second goal, and lovely first time finish for Rooney, althought I thought Dida was dodge for the goals. Great save from Fletcher, who I thought played very well.
    Seedorf did the same thing a couple of mins before him so that's where he got the inspiration from, now if Kaka had put that one away, we wouldn't be talking about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Giles would bet his house on United going through?!

Steady on mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why did Gattuso go off?

@ Trizo : Only saw the last 15 mins so cant say really but Giles reckoned Ronaldo wa smuck. The others didnt disagree either.
    Trizo wrote:
    as for poor defending where have you been do you not realise that there were injuries to 3 of the first team back 4

Are th eplayers put in to replace injuries not footballers? They are Utd players and should be up to the standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

kaimera wrote:

ah get out of that...
    If that isn't football what is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

mada999 wrote:
    Milan were non-existent from the 65min on...they hadn't got the legs for it...shame Gattuso went off ...Scholes had far too much room after that...

Milan are really a one man team...too many passengers, and that Gillardino is brutal ! I'm not a fan of Insaghi (sp?) but surely he would have done better...

Utd will be in the final now..gutted....

The first time I saw Gilardino tonight was when he went off for Gourcuff.

Stekelly wrote:
    Why did Gattuso go off?
    Ankle injury, he went off, but then came back out and watched the rest of the match in the stands. Bet he would of loved to be subbed back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

kaimera wrote:
    Crap game really. Neither team looked like potential champs.

A five goal semi final with some astounding attacking play and gorgeous goals - and you think that's crap!?!??! :confused:

A great result for Utd considering the defensive in jury crisis. Yeah, there were some serious defensive wobbles in the first half. And Gattuso going off opened the door. But Utd were bloody stunning at times.

A great finish to the game but there is plenty of life in that tie yet. Utd conceded two away goals.

Stekelly wrote:
    Why did Gattuso go off?

@ Trizo : Only saw the last 15 mins so cant say really but Giles reckoned Ronaldo wa smuck. The others didnt disagree either.

Gattuso was injured as for the stooges you listen to them - enough said!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I see the 3 muppets on RTE2 were at it again. United no chance, Ronaldo very poor player, Milan will walk all over them. Fucking tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Kulgan wrote:
    Giles would bet his house on United going through?!

Steady on mate
    Yeah, the tie is far from over yet. I'd fancy United at this stage, but a 1-0 for Milan and they'd be through. I certainly wouldnt share Giles' confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

ROCKMAN wrote:
    what do you scholes mean missing second leg????

I thought he was booked the first half? I didn't hear the RTE panle mention it so, maybe i got it wrong. That would be a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Fletcher was brilliant tonight, must have at least 2 bowls of weetabix. Ronaldo was crap which is no suprise, and so was giggs who's pass to rooney for the last goal was about the only thing he done all night. Heinze was great in the secondhalf aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

daveg wrote:
    I see the 3 muppets on RTE2 were at it again. United no chance, Ronaldo very poor player, Milan will walk all over them. Fucking tossers.
    ronaldo was very poor tonight,

daveg wrote:

Its about time they changed the record they are just making a laughing stock of tehmselves. I watch the games elsewhere when I can as between the pundits and Hamilton when he is doing United games you never get unbiased commentary.

What a feckup by Evra for the second Kaka goal though. Jesus!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo was pretty good, not great, but he got a goal, and scored one incredible shot. He was actually treble marked, and that gave space to Rooney, which allowed for the goals. He wasn't great, but he certainly wasn't poor. In the first half, he was Uniteds best player. In the second, Rooney was fantastic.

I think it's a pretty even tie, but I honastly believe had Rio been on the pitch, Kaka wouldn't have scored either of those two.
    The first, Rio would have had the pace to deal with Kaka's run.
    The second, Rio would have shouted to Fletcher to clear the ball.

I think United defense including Rio and possibly Vidic (hopefully), can hold Milans attack, and I think we will defo score against Milan, probably in the second half.

In conclusion, what a ****ing goal from Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

daveg wrote:

Utd no chance? Well, Giles said he'd put his house on them getting to the final, so NO.

He praised Giggs, Scholes and said Fletcher did well. But he did say Ronaldo had a poor match. As much as some people slate players, Utd fans think Ronaldo is incapable of a bad game.

The Muppet wrote:
    Its about time they changed the record they are just making a laughing stock of tehmselves. I watch the games elsewhere when I can as between the pundits and Hamilton when he is doing United games you never get unbiased commentary.

So do I. I just flicked it over after the game, but watched the start of the commentary pre ITV. I gotta say Liam Brady should be the chairman of the ABU association. Muppet.

Stekelly wrote:
    Utd no chance? Well, Giles said he'd put his house on them getting to the final, so NO.

Pre game commentary.

Ronaldo had a poor game except for the latter part of the second half. Anyone else think he's looking tired? Was poor against Middlesbrough as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

daveg wrote:

Who said United had no chance? I cant rember anyone saying that. Ronaldo was very poor tonight.

PHB wrote:
    I think United defense including Rio and possibly Vidic (hopefully), can hold Milans attack, and I think we will defo score against Milan, probably in the second half.
    I know Vidic is having a scan and is a possibilty for the second leg, but I thought Rio was ruled out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:

Didnt like his liittle Shakespeare re-enactment then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I said it before and ill say it again.... never doubt united!!!!! I thought after the roma match that we would get bet at OT but we all know what happened. United for the CL!!!!

Is anyone going to call it? go on and stick the neck out!!! Im going for a united win (but shur im biased!!!)

It will be very risky to play Rio in the 2nd leg, as he will be in charge of marking Kaka.

daveg wrote:
    Pre game commentary.

Ronaldo had a poor game except for the latter part of the second half. Anyone else think he's looking tired? Was poor against Middlesbrough as well.

As Phb said he had 3 men on him when he was on the ball. I though he had a decent game. I though Carrick was excellent too despite some of his passes going astray. Fletcher impressed me too .

Didnt like his liittle Shakespeare re-enactment then?

You'll have to explain that one for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The Muppet wrote:
    As Phb said he had 3 men on him when he was on the ball. I though he had a decent game. I though Carrick was excellent too despite some of his passes going astray. Fletcher impressed me too .

I thought the RTE guys were a bit harsh, he had a decent game TBH

Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher found it hard to get into the game I thought until the second half. Gattuso going off was a big turning point. Suddenly Scholes was finding all the room in the world. What a terrific assist for Rooney's first (although I can't remember if that was before or after Gattuso went off). United really started to over-run the midfield, and that chap that came on for Gattuso was hardly mentioned in commentary.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Got up at 4am to watch this over here in Melbourne - At half time I was thinking about the sleep I missed, at Full Time after Rooney's thunderbolt I dont think i'll be fit to sleep. Its ANZAC day here so its off to the pub with me at lunch time...

Enjoyed the match. As someone said - 2 teams going for goals for the majority of the match - can't ask for much more.

Now, more coffee.

The Muppet wrote:

Just before one the freekicks united had on the edge of the box.

"Oh Ronaldo, Oh Ronaldo, where art thou Ronaldo?"

The TV license is a bargain, football and shakespeare all rolled into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

KAIMERA

Are you absolutely mental? Have you actually lost the plot? How did you not enjoy the goals from that God Kaka? And then the outstanding fightback from Man United? I think your mental. Gone.

I think Ronaldo played well tonight, every time he had the ball, Milan were terrified and he had a couple of wicked shots which would have gone in on another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I thought Fletcher had a great game and I was impressed by UTD. Never know when to let go.

Just before one the freekicks united had on the edge of the box.

"Oh Ronaldo, Oh Ronaldo, where art thou Ronaldo?"

The TV license is a bargain, football and shakespeare all rolled into one.

Oh well as I said I watch the games elsewhere so I wouldn't have seen that. Did he manage to go the 90 minutes without making reference to his beloved Arsenal tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Dunphy and co salivating over Scholes and Giggs who they said were the real players who stood up when it mattered and were magnificant:confused:

Now I love both Scholes and Giggs but up until setting up the second goal(brilliantly)Scholes had had a very poor game and Giggs gave the ball away more than anyone and didnt really play well either.

Fletcher was very impressive and I really enjoyed watching Rooneys battle with Nesta.Rooney might still not be playing like he can but he battled fro everything with Nesta and of course still gave us a couple of moments of magic.

Ronaldo was poor but was double and treble marked for alot of the game.The glee they seemed to have in saying how bad he was was quite sad really.I dont know why I watch RTE anymore,its just so much predictable moaning bull**** now.If ITV werent so bland........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

The Muppet wrote:
    When United got a free kick in a dangerous position Georgie boy got all Shakespearean with his "Ronaldo,Ronaldo where forth art thou Ronaldo" monologue.

As for Kameira saying it was a crap game, what a load of tosh. That statement is so full of poo its unbelievable, if you even had of said average I would have let you away with it but to say it was a crap game suggests to me that you hate soccer and it upsets you that GAA isn't the number one game in this country.

Either that or you've had a fight with your girlfriend and you're in foul humour. Get a grip Kameira and less of the ridiculous attention seeking comments. Good lad.

Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher found it hard to get into the game I thought until the second half. Gattuso going off was a big turning point. Suddenly Scholes was finding all the room in the world. What a terrific assist for Rooney's first (although I can't remember if that was before or after Gattuso went off). United really started to over-run the midfield, and that chap that came on for Gattuso was hardly mentioned in commentary.
    Brocchi. He didn't replace Gattuso like for like either, just wandering around on the right side "trying" to mark Ronaldo. Tbf to Milan, they weren't diving, falling, and rolling around the place like usual, getting soft free kicks, so it was extra hard on them ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement