Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Swimming Pool Question

Options
  • 22-04-2007 12:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

While I was exercising in the gym yesterday my mind wandered onto the whole question of the mythical swimming pool. Ever since I was an ickle little first year a few years ago this topic has occasionally come up and gone away. Throw in Mac Donalds, the new student centre and much more to make the whole thing very fuzzy indeed.

What irks me about the whole thing is that the swimming pool was put on to the ridiculous plans for that white elephant known as SCX/SC2/insert-sexy-marketing-term-here centre. The swimming pool was purely there in my opinion to give weight to the silly plans for a house-of-lords and other costly but useless facilities, which all had the golden carrot of being run by the SU (are we supposed to be excited about that?).

Would it not be better to have had the Sports Centre build it and run it (or contract the running out LUAS-style to Crunch who run a swimming pool in their Dun Laoghaire branch)? Because the basic feeling I get is that the sports centre management are competent, and anything involving the SU is not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

One of the benefits of the SU running it is that it should be cheaper than commercial pools. However if they go ahead and make it a 50m pool, the operating costs will be enormous and it'll either be expensive or bankrupt us. Given that there'll be money going into it other than the money (that we're all paying) from the SU, I think it'll end up being sub-contracted out to be run by someone else. Whatever happens we're facing a long wait anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ah sure just throw another hundred onto of your "free-fees" and it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

When is it due to be operational anyway?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The fact that the SU are even involved in it is what worries me. Running a facility like that shouldn't be in the SU's remit, because any other college elsewhere would have had it as a base facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

The plan for the mythical swimming pool is well under way, although it is likely that it will be 25m rather than 50m. It could be 50m if the government thought that the student vote is worth something (voting = sway = elections = seats = funding), but seeing as they don't target us as a key voting group, they don't bother with us.

The plans should be up for viewing in a few months, but personally I don't expect it to be finished before I leave this place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The management of the operations in the extended Student Centre will be undertaken by the existing Student Centre management. Obviously they will be hiring more staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Because we all need more ditzy women who can't remember the code for their own office "organising" things. THAT makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Who are you refering to Blush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

johnnyflav wrote:

The plans should be up for viewing in a few months, but personally I don't expect it to be finished before I leave this place.

The Tribune(whoses writers are Not,I repeat are Not mentally challenged) said It would be December 2009. Damn Im gonna miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

panda100 wrote:
    The Tribune(whoses writers are Not,I repeat are Not mentally challenged) said It would be December 2009. Damn Im gonna miss it!

Fear not Elisa, there's "graduate membership"!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ah ha Jim, so for the first time people will still want to be SU members after they leave!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

That's almost as funny as the form they give you with your graduation details so you can give the college money. Would I like to make a once-off payment, or a continued donation? Emmm.... NO!

Although it might be fun to throw the SU Sabbats into the pool - it could become a UCD tradition!

Advertisement