Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing gear cables | Messing around with broken gears

Options
  • 22-04-2007 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

I was at a bicycle maintenance workshop yesterday, and time ran out to deal with my favourite problem: dodgy gears.

It's a relatively new bike, and the cables have stretched a bit. I managed to tweak them back into line, and they work - when I'm not on the bike. When I'm on it, going between 2 and 3 on the front gears don't move up.

I was told I need to grease my gear cables, which means removing them. But I can't find any comprehensive instructions online.

Can anyone help out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I often use the park tool website for repair info
    Park Tools

Should you need bikes to practise your new skills on I have several could do with a service;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

No thanks!

Basically, I need to remove the bike cable to grease it, but amn't sure how to get it back on in tip-top shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

See the advice at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

If you really do need to lubricate them, maybe try the lightest oil you can find (slightly heated if necessary) and run it down between the cable and its casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

DadaKopf wrote:
    I was at a bicycle maintenance workshop yesterday, and time ran out to deal with my favourite problem: dodgy gears.

It's a relatively new bike, and the cables have stretched a bit. I managed to tweak them back into line, and they work - when I'm not on the bike. When I'm on it, going between 2 and 3 on the front gears don't move up.

I was told I need to grease my gear cables, which means removing them. But I can't find any comprehensive instructions online.

Can anyone help out?

Don't remove them.
    Just move the chain to the largest sprocket or cog, then, without pedalling, move the gears back to the smallest cog/sprocket. This slackens the cable and should allow you to move the cable outers from the braze-ons. You can then clean and oil the cable. Don't use grease, as all sorts of dirt will stick to it.
    It definitely helps smooth gear changes.

M

Here's my update.

I didn't clean the cables, but I oiled around the outer housings (hoses) and just gave the front cogs and derailleur a good oil and a clean, then re-oiled the mechanism and chains (with WD-40).

Then I spend HOURS twiddling around with the fine-tuner on the gear lever, and later twiddling with the hi-lo screws on the derailleur. Eventually, I got it more or less working front and back. Only the 1st rear gear is rattling against the derailleur in 3rd gear on the front. But I think I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DadaKopf wrote:
    Only the 1st rear gear is rattling against the derailleur in 3rd gear on the front. But I think I can live with that.
    By "1st rear gear" I am assuming that you mean the largest cog - if so, you shouldn't use that combination. It puts quite a strain on the chain as it tries to move straight across the cogs but bend when it leaves them to move to the other cog.

No, I mean the biggest cog on the front with the smallest at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

DadaKopf wrote:
    No, I mean the biggest cog on the front with the smallest at the back.
    Then it sounds like the front indexing is off - the front derailleur is not moved enough (or is moved too much) when you go to that top gear. Which side of the derailleur does it rub against? bike or leg side?

Advertisement