Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cordyline Australis(cabbage tree) stem questions!please help!!!

Options
  • 22-04-2007 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hello,I have a cordyline Australis but it only has stems from the head like in the 1st picture(this image is from my garden),I want to know how do I get the cordyline Australis to grow stems from the ground like the 2nd picture.any comments are welcome.thanks in advance

DSC02985.JPG

180px-CordylineAustralis.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

fdiddy wrote:
    Hello,I have a cordyline Australis but it only has stems from the head like in the 1st picture(this image is from my garden),I want to know how do I get the cordyline Australis to grow stems from the ground like the 2nd picture.any comments are welcome.thanks in advance

How much do you like this cordyline? The usual method of doing this is to cut the top off at the point you want the second (or third or even more) stem to shoot. They can be cut even to ground level and will re-shoot within a couple of months. The other solution is to get a new plant and start again using the same method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fdiddy

bmaxi wrote:
    How much do you like this cordyline? The usual method of doing this is to cut the top off at the point you want the second (or third or even more) stem to shoot. They can be cut even to ground level and will re-shoot within a couple of months. The other solution is to get a new plant and start again using the same method.

i have a few more of these trees around so i think i will apply your method to it,does cutting the top of the tree damage it in anyway?and does it take long to sprout new stems?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

fdiddy wrote:
    i have a few more of these trees around so i think i will apply your method to it,does cutting the top of the tree damage it in anyway?and does it take long to sprout new stems?thanks

No, cutting it won't do any harm providing you use a sharp saw,if you like you can seal the stump. This is the ideal time of year to cut it as the sap is rising and will encourage the shoots to grow, these should appear before the end of summer but of course the mature stems will take years. One thing to bear in mind, the new shoots will have a tendency to grow outwards and may need to be trained and staked to prevent the stem splitting in later years.

Advertisement