Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The DOE

Options
  • 22-04-2007 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

It was only a matter of time before I made a thread on it, so here it is:D

What's the story with the DOE for vans? My tax is up at the end of April and I've heard that you can't tax a van without the DOE and the DOE lasts one year from the date of renewing the tax? I haven't got a clue about the DOE, is it basically the NCT for vans?

I was told by a chap who used to drive vans that there is a trick to get the DOE extended for another 6 months, by taxing it for 3 months, then 3 months again, and then a year or something:confused:

I haven't got any notice of DOE expiry and no documents of anything related to the DOE, it's taxed as a commercial vehicle so I'm a bit cofused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cormie wrote:
    It was only a matter of time before I made a thread on it, so here it is:D

I'm off to the forum requests forum to ask about a "cormie's transit" forum.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm off to the forum requests forum to ask about a "cormie's tranist" forum.:)

support ++ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

DOE is same as NCT but for vans only and commercial cars. It last one year and you do need it to tax the car due to cheaper tax so you need to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah ok. I haven't heard anything about it though, like no notice letter etc like you get for tax. Where do I find out if it's even due yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Go to any DOE center (ther is one in Ballymount Road, Dublin) and ask. If not just make an appointment for a new DOE test. Cost about 75 euro.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks:)

Anyone familiar with the trick I was talking about for a longer DOE?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

louie wrote:
    DOE is same as NCT
    But it's not nearly as thorough or strict. Most commercials in reasonable order will pull through.

cormie - many commercial dealers/garages act as agents for the DOE.
    cormie wrote:
    Anyone familiar with the trick I was talking about for a longer DOE?
    Nope. (The only 'trick' I hear people on about refers to lighter vans - remove absolutely everything that can be removed before weighing it).

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm off to the forum requests forum to ask about a "cormie's transit" forum.
    :D:D:D He certainly gets value out of boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The transit again :rolleyes:

Last I heard you were trying to avoid buying a new battery despite serious problems (starter motor smoking iirc??) now you are trying to scrimp around the DOE which is just a basic test to show the van is roadworthy, hardly a good advert for a business is it?
    I could understand if it was an aul banger you weren't using, but when its a vehicle you rely on as the foundation of your trade, it baffles me why you would gamble on gimmicks and quick fixes.

Thanks Wishbone, I'll ring around:)

Savman, I'm just trying to save money where I don't need to spend it. The battery has been fine since the starter motor was put back properly so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. If it dies or shows signs of dying, I'll replace it that day. I'm mainly just curious about the trick as I've only heard it off one guy, it hopefully wont make a difference to me as I hope to upgrade the van within the year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

that van... it should pass easily enough id say, i dont know that trick but for 3 months extra as u put it tax it's not really worth it is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement