Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrack Obama's Security

Options
  • 22-04-2007 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Just looking for quick views from people on the possibilty of Barrack Obama being the victim of an assanation attempt,

A friend was telling me his security everywhere he goes is increasing. How many redneck hillbillys out there in America still have the view of dying before having a black man as a president. Count in the various nutjob groups around in my mind its highly likely someone will try to take a shot.

Any views/opinons?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Well, considering that in the past we've killed everyone who tried to tell us to live peacefully, I'd say he's a dead man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'd be surprised if any of the prominent US presidential candidates didn't have some level of security and if the extreme right in the US wanted anyone assasinated, Hillary Clinton would be the target IMO - she has some kind of Arch-Villan standing in the deep south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Malone

Hillary Clinton looks the firm favourite to get Democratic nomination,but if Obama gets it then he would definitley be a target for the right wing in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Anyone who is running for president is automatically given Secret Service protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Hobbes wrote:
    Anyone who is running for president is automatically given Secret Service protection.
    Like in 24.

• Advertisement

John_C wrote:
    Like in 24.

No like in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Hobbes wrote:
    No like in real life.
    What are you implying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

flogen wrote:
    I'd be surprised if any of the prominent US presidential candidates didn't have some level of security and if the extreme right in the US wanted anyone assasinated, Hillary Clinton would be the target IMO - she has some kind of Arch-Villan standing in the deep south.
    Indeed, over 200 years of electing white Protestants (Kennedy being the exception and look where it got him).

John_C wrote:
    What are you implying?

Your comment reminded me of a situation earlier in Senate/Congress where two Republican speakers were going on about how they had to focus on the war on terror because there are Sleeper cells in the country and that terrorists could strike at any time. Then they proceeded to quote 24 + Sleeper Cell as proof.

So it would be "As in real life", not "As in 24".

A quick google, Secret Service are assigned to protect candidates 120 days before the election run up. Interesting as well Clinton passed a law that only allows Secret Service to protect an ex-president for 10 years. But doesn't apply to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

So Glad wrote:
    Well, considering that in the past we've killed everyone who tried to tell us to live peacefully, I'd say he's a dead man.

i don't remember Barak saying that we should live peacefully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hobbes wrote:
    Your comment reminded me of a situation earlier in Senate/Congress where two Republican speakers were going on about how they had to focus on the war on terror because there are Sleeper cells in the country and that terrorists could strike at any time. Then they proceeded to quote 24 + Sleeper Cell as proof.

So it would be "As in real life", not "As in 24".

A quick google, Secret Service are assigned to protect candidates 120 days before the election run up. Interesting as well Clinton passed a law that only allows Secret Service to protect an ex-president for 10 years. But doesn't apply to him.

Agreed, its not like "24" .... its like "The West Wing" ... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

I don't think they get the security until after the primaries, when they're actually a "candidate" for president. At the moment he's a candidate for the democratic nomination for president. But certainly I'd say there's something there.

It the US. Everyone has someone trying to kill them.

Advertisement