Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martin Ferris arrested on suspicion of drink driving

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I still cant get my head around the the fact that the good people of Kerry might vote for Ferris in the first place

Perhaps they agree with him. Mad isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FTA69 wrote:
    Perhaps they agree with him. Mad isn't it?
    Well, yes. He did fail (along with his daughter) to condemn the men who murdered Det. Garda McCabe and attempted to murder his colleague Det. Garda Ben O'Sullivan. That's a pretty mad thing to do when you wish to represent your constituents in the government of this state. If his constituents have such little regard for the Gardai, perhaps they should be denied any policing in North Kerry ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Didnt Martin Ferris profess to be an ex member of the Provisional IRA? and wasnt Martin Ferris also charged with Gun Running & being a member of said Terrorist group?

And people vote for Him :mad:

I still cant believe that anybody would actually Vote for a member (ex member) of a Terrorist organisation (even if they have stopped killing people), thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ArthurF wrote:
    Didnt Martin Ferris profess to be an ex member of the Provisional IRA? and wasnt Martin Ferris also charged with Gun Running & being a member of said Terrorist group?

And people vote for Him :mad:

I still cant believe that anybody would actually Vote for a member (ex member) of a Terrorist organisation (even if they have stopped killing people), thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.

You may find it hard to believe but it happens in other Countries too.

You may find it hard to believe but it happens in other Countries too.
    Ah, that's alright then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talk is that Ferris is under pressure from Labour, so maybe the drink-driving was a stunt! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mike65 wrote:
    Talk is that Ferris is under pressure from Labour, so maybe the drink-driving was a stunt! ;)

Mike.

Yeah but I doubt Dobbo will let him cry his eyes out on the Six o'clock news :p

The thing is the Labour candidate has a not-so-secret weapon - a wheelchair. Its a winner I tell you. :p Ferris will need to come up with something eye-catching.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

By whom ?

Maybe we should move this to the conspiracy thread :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He did fail (along with his daughter) to condemn the men who murdered Det. Garda McCabe and attempted to murder his colleague Det. Garda Ben O'Sullivan.

Manslaughter you mean. Ferris was indeed an IRA Volunteer, and he did participate in the political conflict that was ongoing in Ireland. That conflict is now over and whether ye like it or not Ferris has a mandate from those in North Kerry who voted for him in large numbers. I happen to believe he was justified in his previous actions, and there are many in that particular area who would too.

Right, so you'll be calling on people to boycott the Labour Party because of Pat Rabbitte and Pronsios De Rossa so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FTA69 wrote:
    Manslaughter you mean.
    Unleashing an AK47 on a vehicle containing two men can't be considered "manslaughter" under any definitions.
    Right, so you'll be calling on people to boycott the Labour Party because of Pat Rabbitte and Pronsios De Rossa so?
    There's a big difference between being *in* a terrorist organisation, and being in a party linked with said organisation. The only reason Sinn Féin have taken so much slack over it is because no-one was ever convinced that the members of Sinn Féin weren't also members of the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ehh the bould prionsios did time for being in the 'RA back in the day.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wasn't he just interned - jailed without trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ulster9

kbannon wrote:
    Wasn't he just interned - jailed without trial?

No he was done for possesion of weapons or explosives.Was in Portlaoise prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

murphaph wrote:
    Ah, that's alright then.

no. not at all murphaph.

My point being i recall *some* forum users, in previous threads, have defended foreign parties, their supporters, and indeed domestic politicans who were once involved in terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

FTA69 wrote:

Manslaughter you mean.

as already posted how can this be classified as manslaughter? Was it not a plea bargain that got them off with only a manslaughter charge and not murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bambi wrote:
    ehh the bould prionsios did time for being in the 'RA back in the day.
    Ah ok, didn't know that.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Was it not a plea bargain that got them off with only a manslaughter charge and not murder?
    Nope, it was witness intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

oscarBravo wrote:
    Nope, it was witness intimidation.

Can you provide evidence of such?

Could we stick to the topic now please??
    Actually thats an order.

When are the urine test results due out? It usually takes a week I understand...

• Advertisement

The saddest thing here is that the people of north Kerry won't dump him out because of this. It's somewhat typical of rural Ireland constituencies.....you cause an afront to society yet get returned with record turnout. Is it a sympathy vote? or perhaps a "stick it to the (Dublin, formerly London) man" vote? When Lawlor was discovered to be the louse he was, the people he'd shafted in West Dublin shafted him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

murphaph wrote:
    The saddest thing here is that the people of north Kerry won't dump him out because of this. It's somewhat typical of rural Ireland constituencies.....you cause an afront to society yet get returned with record turnout. Is it a sympathy vote? or perhaps a "stick it to the (Dublin, formerly London) man" vote? When Lawlor was discovered to be the louse he was, the people he'd shafted in West Dublin shafted him back.

No Lawlor did not stand again how the people of west Dublin would have voted we can only surmise.
    But the people of North Dublin did not hold the arms thing against CJH nor have they held anything against young Sean for the misdeeds of his father. It is unfair to suggest that this is only a rural thing it is if anything an anti establishment thing that is probably a hangover from British rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Former IRA gun-runner Martin Ferris has been cleared of suspected drink-driving.
    A urine sample had proved the North Kerry Sinn Fein TD was under the limit when he was stopped and arrested by gardai last month.

Mr Ferris had consumed three alcoholic drinks before he was stopped at a checkpoint at Ardfert on 22 April.

He failed two breathalyser tests before being taken to Tralee Garda Station where a doctor took a urine sample.

"Obviously I am greatly relieved that the results of my urine test have shown that I was under the limit when I was stopped by Gardai in Ardfert," said Mr Ferris.

"In a statement following my arrest I said I was confident that I was under the limit and that I would never have gotten into my car if I thought there was any chance I was over the limit."

He added that he regretted what had happened and said if he was in the same position again he would not "get behind the wheel".

Mr Ferris was elected to Kerry County Council and Tralee Council in 1999 and to the Irish parliament for Kerry North in 2002.

He was jailed for ten years for his part in an IRA gun-running operation after the Irish Navy intercepted a trawler off the Kerry coast in 1984 with seven tons of weaponry in its hold.

The arms shipment had been smuggled from America across the Atlantic in a fishing boat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6642849.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"Former IRA gun-runner Martin Ferris has been cleared of suspected drink-driving."

Jeez...... I think he's some sort of.... elected representative.... thing..... too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

DaveMcG wrote:
    "Former IRA gun-runner Martin Ferris has been cleared of suspected drink-driving."

Jeez...... I think he's some sort of.... elected representative.... thing..... too.

The media are surely going to highlight the fact that he was a gun-runner, over the fact that he is an elected representative

Well he got away with it - his actions that is. That he was'nt done is surely more luck than judgement.

Mike.

Well I doubt if we will have 5 pages of posts about him being found innocent but hey what can you expect.

Mike65 you are either over or under the limit I really can't see how any Luck can be involved?

I mean he did'nt know as he turned the key if he was over or under. He took a chance.

Mike.

Did he really? I think he would have had a fair idea whether he was over the limit or not and if what he said was true about him seeing the garda checkpoint and he got into the car and drove up to the checkpoint I think he must have been fairly sure he was under the limit which he was as proven by the results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

murphaph wrote:
    The saddest thing here is that the people of north Kerry won't dump him out because of this.
    Actually, the saddest thing was that some people on this forum persumed him guilty before he was even proven so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement